PDA

View Full Version : Q: What is NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ technology?

MaXThReAT
08-14-08, 10:32 PM
Q: What is NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ technology?
A: NVIDIA Quantum Effects is a new technology designed to enhance simulation and rendering of physics effects on the graphics processor. Through an advanced shader core architected for physics computation, GeForce 8 Series can deliver amazing visual effects such as smoke, fire, and explosions at faster frame rates than ever before. By having this dedicated capability on the GPU, the CPU is freed up to run the game engine and AI, improving overall game play.

So I was messing around with the new Nv PhysX demos and the 8 Series smoke demo came to mind. The smoke no longer works for me but the water in that demo using quantum effects is impressive, even more so then the new fluid demos. Now that we have Nvidia PhysX what is to become of Quantum physics? I don't think a game has been made yet that takes advantage. Probably just going to be merged into PhysX and forgotten about.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9745/smoke1qj0.jpg

MaXThReAT
08-18-08, 11:16 AM
So yeah based on the replies, quantum effects are probably just going to be merged into PhysX and forgotten about, kindof a shame if you ask me.

CaptNKILL
08-18-08, 11:20 AM
I totally forgot about Quantum Effects...

Too bad. I found that stuff more impressive than the Physx stuff I've seen so far.

MaXThReAT
08-18-08, 03:38 PM
Same here. I hope NV makes a statement on it. I would be very happy to hear if Quantum can, in anyway, be used to enhance or augment their new PhysX code, to improve it even further.