PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator FX 44.03 WHQL Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 10:06 AM
You can go and download 'em from nVidia (http://www.nvidia.com), they have the DetFX's available for all OSes.

BTW-DetFX=44.03, I'm downloading the 98se set since I've already played with the XP ones. ;)

saturnotaku
05-14-03, 10:07 AM
Confoundit...if these are like the beta 44.03 drivers I won't be able to play Vice City on 'em. Grrrr....:rw:

BigFish7
05-14-03, 10:17 AM
i sure hope it is faster then the beta 44.03 (if it really was a beta)...
ok, FX owners go and tell us your toughts:afro:

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Confoundit...if these are like the beta 44.03 drivers I won't be able to play Vice City on 'em.

Oh no, these are different....they're official. :rolleyes: :p

saturnotaku
05-14-03, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Oh no, these are different....they're official.

Ahhhhhh....shaddap. :p :D

wilson
05-14-03, 10:48 AM
44.03WHQL fixed a problem for me. Now I can play 720P WM9-encoded HD content full-screen at 3840x2400 with no dropped frames.

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by wilson
44.03WHQL fixed a problem for me. Now I can play 720P WM9-encoded HD content full-screen at 3840x2400 with no dropped frames.

Two things-

1. Which OS?

2. Do resolutions like 3840x2400 REALLY exist?!?!? :eek: (I'm still on a 17" crt, 1024x768...that just seems ungodly big!!! ;) )

wilson
05-14-03, 11:31 AM
Two things-

1. Which OS?

Windows XP

2. Do resolutions like 3840x2400 REALLY exist?!?!? :eek: (I'm still on a 17" crt, 1024x768...that just seems ungodly big!!! ;) )

Yes, it's the IBM T221 LCD panel aka "Big Bertha." This thing is amazing! It's like looking at a laser-printed page. It's also sold by Viewsonic as the VP2290b. 22" screen, 204dpi. My video card sees it as 2 monitors of 1920x2400 each. The nVidia driver fully supports it and the 2 halves are genlocked/synchronized perfectly so there's no tearing.

jbirney
05-14-03, 11:34 AM
TR did a nice review on the improvement they give:

http://www.tech-report.com/etc/2003q2/detonator-fx/index.x?pg=1

Nice job nV!

Discailmer
Before the local fan boys say look at x% performance gain while thats nice and everything it does not imply absoulte greatness. I have written software for our phones. Lots of times we go with what works in order to make a ship date..then we can go back and optimize it. Some times we can dramaticly reduce times..other times were lucky to get any improvement. It depends on the hardware and how "optimized" the first pass software is/was.

Still nice job!!!

Behemoth
05-14-03, 12:19 PM
wow, nice improvement again, UT2003 flyby at 1280*960 0xAA/8xAF quailty goes from 27% performance hit(43.51) to only 8% performance hit(44.03) :eek:
but my system is slow and relatively cpu-limited for UT2003, i can use some more improvement from coming drivers tho :D
no improvement over 0xAA/0xAF this same test tho.
the mipmap distances for 2x and 4x quality mode seem to change again, now they do lesser degree of AF, think its for reviewers purpose, since most people just compare 2x to 2x, 4x to 4x no matter what :)

edit: the mipmap distances have not changed, sorry about that

digitalwanderer
05-14-03, 12:22 PM
The image quality is superb, but I see no changes in speed on me GF4 ti4400. ( I KNOW it's not an FX, I just felt it worth mentioning! :p )

StealthHawk
05-14-03, 12:27 PM
The image quality is superb, but I see no changes in speed on me GF4 ti4400. ( I KNOW it's not an FX, I just felt it worth mentioning! :p )

What about with AF enabled?

RaZ0r!
05-14-03, 12:34 PM
I have a digital LCD 19" monitor that has a native resolution of 1280x1024.

Games like Battlefield 1942 and Half-Life only support 1280x960, not 1280x1024.

So you either have to let the card or monitor scale it, which doesn't look as good as unscaled, or you have to turn off scaling altogether.

When you turn off scaling, then menus in games that are usually 800x600 look very small.

So there was no good solution, until I installed the 44.03 drivers!

There is now a fourth option in the display setup: Use fixed aspect ratio scaling

Now my games that only support 1280x960 are not scaled so it looks great, and menus and other low resolution screens are scaled correctly and with the correct aspect!

Thanks NVIDIA for the perfect solution!! :D

GravY
05-14-03, 12:43 PM
While I lost a few hundred points in 3dmark2k1 (which could have many factors) everything runs smoother and looks better with these drivers, I have never been one to notice a driver really looking better over another, but I do have to say these look really nice. I will be keeping these on my system..

jAkUp
05-14-03, 12:59 PM
i cant wait to install these when i get home:D

skypx
05-14-03, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
i cant wait to install these when i get home:D

Yea. Same here. :D

Nemesis77
05-14-03, 01:00 PM
I don't think it's worth to download these for my GF2 GTS. Damn, I _REALLY_ need a new vid-card! But I have promised to hold out 'till after summer. That Athlon64 is looking mighty tasty :)

Dazz
05-14-03, 01:02 PM
Funny i just downloaded them and Windows XP & DX9A hasn't picked them up as WHQLed

Goran
05-14-03, 01:07 PM
As the Nvidia site points out, these are ONLY WHQL for FX brand vid cards.

So unless you have a FX they are not WHQL.

Shadowx
05-14-03, 01:13 PM
anyone knows where i can find a repackage (none .exe) of the drivers?

saturnotaku
05-14-03, 01:18 PM
I had some time away from the office so I set up my laptop to download these. Just finished and I can't wait to try 'em out when I get home. :cool:

BTW, Shadowx - if you want to install them manually, you can download the file from NVIDIA's site. If you have WinZip or WinRAR installed, you can right click on the file and select "extract to folder." All the files will then be available in a folder for you to use.

Edit: Something interesting I found - there are two .inf files in this driver set. One is for FX cards, the other is for every other NVIDIA GPU. This is no doubt to maintain the WHQL status for FX cards, but it's also an interesting way for NVIDIA to maintain its unified architecture while optimizing for the FX.

Gargr
05-14-03, 01:39 PM
I can't download anything from the gaytarded nvidia site :mad:
Resume = file corrupt.
(*&@#^*&@$%^(*&@$

StealthHawk
05-14-03, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Edit: Something interesting I found - there are two .inf files in this driver set. One is for FX cards, the other is for every other NVIDIA GPU. This is no doubt to maintain the WHQL status for FX cards, but it's also an interesting way for NVIDIA to maintain its unified architecture while optimizing for the FX.

That's basically what other people around here have been suggesting or guessing nvidia would do.

Dazz
05-14-03, 03:34 PM
I am having problems with Raven Shield Single Player Demo and the detonator FX drivers it seems if you click on or change your weapons to much the screen goes all blurry as hell and the second problem is twice in one game it freezes which can only be fixed by alt + tabing.

What only WHQL for the FX range thats a terrible mistake, if so the impression nVIDIA has given me is 'The drivers will work but if something's are screwed up then it tuff' :mad: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon13.gif

CaptNKILL
05-14-03, 04:14 PM
Im havent played Vietcong in a while, but today I installed these drivers and then played the game with 8x QUALITY Aniso (no AA) and it was VERY playable! I set it to High Performance 8x aniso and its only SLIGHTLY blurrier (I can barely tell the difference) and it runs at least 50fps constantly. Before, I distinctly remember 8x Aniso (especially Quality\Application mode) being a tad choppy in VC.

I think ive got my new fav driver settings:
Image Quality: High Performance
AA: Application
AF: 8x
No texture sharpening

!!!!!!!!!!!!!NICE DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!