PDA

View Full Version : How is stock heatsink thermal paste?

mojoman0
08-19-08, 10:50 PM
I just got my OCZ Vanquisher cpu cooler in the mail...I know its not the best, but hopefully it will perform better than my stock. Anyways, since I don't have my Arctic Silver laying around (its at home) I decided to just try the white paste that comes pre-applied to the heatsink. Is this stuff any good or should I take it off and put some arctic silver on when I get the chance?

CaptNKILL
08-19-08, 11:09 PM
Give it a try.

If your temps aren't as good as you'd hoped, buy some arctic silver.

saturnotaku
08-20-08, 06:01 AM
The stuff that came on my Arctic Cooling heatsink has been pretty good. CPU only gets above 50 degrees under load when it's really hot out.

buicks suck
08-23-08, 09:27 PM
The stuff that came on my Arctic Cooling heatsink has been pretty good. CPU only gets above 50 degrees under load when it's really hot out.
arctic cooling makes the best thermal compound; it's much better than as5 b/c it don't have to take time to cure and it doesn't have any metal in it, it's non-conductive or whatever the hell the right word is. it's also reported to make things run 5 C cooler than as5.

as5 sucks compared to mx2. bottom line.

xbob
08-24-08, 04:21 PM
Arctic Cooling, OCZ Freeze and a few others are basically deriviatives of Shin Etsu, which is the stuff that Intel uses on their stock coolers (and some of the bigger OEMs like HP and IBM). It is non-conductive, doesn't have a cure time, etc... but it does not cool 5c better, it's generally equal to AC5 and maybe a degree or two better before AC5 hits it's cure time. I'm a big proponent of Shin Etsu and have used OCZ Freeze for my last couple builds and been very happy with the results.