PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 9600GT power supply

dwdwdw
08-20-08, 12:12 PM
Hello all I have just got two Geforce 9600GT cards. with each card there is a six pin plug connected to two molex plugs, each molex has three wires going into it (brown, black, yellow). Question is do I plug both molex connectors into the board PSU or just one. Regards DW

saturnotaku
08-20-08, 12:35 PM
Hello all I have just got two Geforce 9600GT cards. with each card there is a six pin plug connected to two molex plugs, each molex has three wires going into it (brown, black, yellow). Question is do I plug both molex connectors into the board PSU or just one. Regards DW

You would need to plug in both 4-pin molex connectors. Does your power supply not have any dedicated PCI-Express connections? If not, you should really consider investing in a new PSU. You can get a good 750W for $100 or less with rebates.

dwdwdw
08-20-08, 12:52 PM
many thanks; I am about to buy a 650 watt PSU which seems to have only one, 6 pin (which I assume is the PCI-express connector that you mention) connector. Which then means plugging one card into the PCI outlet from the PSU & the other will need to be connected through the two molex connectors. Does that make sense? regards DW

Medion
08-20-08, 01:03 PM
Just a heads up, you're not going to need a 750W for 2x9600GT in SLI. 500w should be more then enough, and you can get by on a solid 450, though I wouldn't push any lower than that. The new 55nm 9600GT will work on slightly lower power requirements.

many thanks; I am about to buy a 650 watt PSU which seems to have only one, 6 pin (which I assume is the PCI-express connector that you mention) connector. Which then means plugging one card into the PCI outlet from the PSU & the other will need to be connected through the two molex connectors. Does that make sense? regards DW

Correct.