PDA

View Full Version : vista 32bit or 64bit?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kaptkarl
08-20-08, 01:57 PM
I currently have XP SP3 32bit installed. I'm upgrading to Vista. Should I go 32bit or 64bit?

Advantages/disadvantages for both?

Thanks.

Kapt

nekrosoft13
08-20-08, 01:59 PM
with your specs for for 64bit.

no point in installing vista 32bit now.

Tr1cK
08-20-08, 02:00 PM
Gaming & personal use = 64 bit
Work use = 32 bit

I only use 32 right now due to incompatibilities with some softwares for work.

DRen72
08-20-08, 05:06 PM
Once my 4GB of RAM arrives shortly, I plan to go ahead and update Vista to 64-bit. I keep hearing good things about it especially from Neckro.

I figure I'll do a full backup of my 32-bit install, wipe the drive, then try 64-bit. The worst that can happen is that I run into a compatibility issue of some sort and have to restore my 32-bit backup. No biggie.

kaptkarl
08-20-08, 08:38 PM
Looks like I'm going to Vista 64bit. Sounds like a good upgrade from all the responses I've received.

One question though.....I heard several people complaining about install troubles w/ 4G RAM installed. One guy stated that he had to remove 2G of his RAM to get the install to work properly. After his install, he put the other 2G RAM back into his pc. Anyone have this issue? Or is this an isolated case?

Kapt

nekrosoft13
08-20-08, 09:03 PM
if you are installing Vista RTM you will have to remove 2gb of ram, if you are installing Vista SP1 straight from disc, leave everything. it will be fine

SLippe
08-20-08, 09:16 PM
64bit

DRen72
08-21-08, 08:03 PM
if you are installing Vista RTM you will have to remove 2gb of ram, if you are installing Vista SP1 straight from disc, leave everything. it will be fine
Do you know of any links to sites or articles that cover the technical reasons for this?
Also, do you know for sure this is across the board regardless of system configuration?

nekrosoft13
08-21-08, 08:06 PM
this hotfix fixes that issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

and this hotfix is part of Vista SP1

XxDeadlyxX
08-21-08, 08:37 PM
I recommend 64-bit for 4GB, driver support is a lot better than it was, but no-one can tell you if everything will work, you must see for yourself if it will work with all your hardware and applications.

nekrosoft13
08-21-08, 08:42 PM
when it comes to 64bit if you are going to be installing security apps, anti-viruses, firewall etc... don't try and force to install apps that are not compatible

could cause big issues

|MaguS|
08-21-08, 09:31 PM
Go Vista 32, Vista 64 is **** unless you specifically need a 64bit environment. I so regret to installing this POS OS. I used Vista 32 for so long and never had any issue with it, since switching to 64bit I have been getting IE crashes aswell as BSODs...

xbob
08-21-08, 09:37 PM
x64 works fine.

einstein_314
08-21-08, 10:30 PM
Do you know of any links to sites or articles that cover the technical reasons for this?
Also, do you know for sure this is across the board regardless of system configuration?
It's definitely not across the board. I've never had to remove 2GB to install Vista x64 on my main rig. That's with the P5B-Deluxe mobo. Best mobo ever.

But I think it's a very common problem. So it wouldn't hurt. I mean....it's pretty easy to remove 2GB and then reinstall it. Just a bit of a pita.

S.SubZero
08-21-08, 10:35 PM
Go Vista 32, Vista 64 is **** unless you specifically need a 64bit environment. I so regret to installing this POS OS. I used Vista 32 for so long and never had any issue with it, since switching to 64bit I have been getting IE crashes aswell as BSODs...

So since *you* have a problem, NOBODY can use it. OK.

|MaguS|
08-21-08, 10:55 PM
So since *you* have a problem, NOBODY can use it. OK.

I don't recommend it to anyone... theres is no purpose for this operating system. It's buggier then its 32bit brother and has no support at all.

nekrosoft13
08-21-08, 11:01 PM
mangus fail

Wolfhound
08-22-08, 01:45 AM
I don't recommend it to anyone... theres is no purpose for this operating system. It's buggier then its 32bit brother and has no support at all.

Why? donīt had any problem with my old system with XPx64 and new one with vista x64

crainger
08-22-08, 04:54 AM

Your doing it wrong.

I myself found 64bit to be far more robust than 32bit XP and Vista. Are you using it on your lappy? That I can understand, but a modern desktop with 4Gb *should* run Vista no problems at all. I love my 64 bit, and it loves me back.

Phyxion
08-22-08, 09:34 AM
x64 all the way. More stable and performs better then x86 here.
Microsoft should some statistics from Windows Update that x64 went skyhigh the last months. Everything goes x64 now.

iron99
08-23-08, 12:21 AM
Vista 64 Bit, stable as a rock :) for me.

|MaguS|
08-23-08, 01:02 AM
Your doing it wrong.

I myself found 64bit to be far more robust than 32bit XP and Vista. Are you using it on your lappy? That I can understand, but a modern desktop with 4Gb *should* run Vista no problems at all. I love my 64 bit, and it loves me back.

My Lappy is as powerful as alot of the desktops on this forum. I have 4GB of Ram and Vista 64 is ass. Not once did I have IE Crash on me on Vista 32 yet often i will close IE just to be greeted with a msg telling me IE crashed the next time I load the browser. Many of my older titles that I want to play right now wont even install thanks to poor 32bit backwards compatibility.

Sure people think Vista 64 is stable... Almost nothing actually supports the dam OS. I love how "gamers" are claiming Vista 64 is better for gaming when there are almost no games that support 64bit OSes and many older titles wont even install...

nekrosoft13
08-23-08, 01:06 AM
mangus the funnnie

Phyxion
08-23-08, 01:31 AM
My Lappy is as powerful as alot of the desktops on this forum. I have 4GB of Ram and Vista 64 is ass. Not once did I have IE Crash on me on Vista 32 yet often i will close IE just to be greeted with a msg telling me IE crashed the next time I load the browser. Many of my older titles that I want to play right now wont even install thanks to poor 32bit backwards compatibility.

Sure people think Vista 64 is stable... Almost nothing actually supports the dam OS. I love how "gamers" are claiming Vista 64 is better for gaming when there are almost no games that support 64bit OSes and many older titles wont even install...
Oh dear, oh deary me. You are so pathetic.

|MaguS|
08-23-08, 01:49 AM
Oh dear, oh deary me. You are so pathetic.

I love how since I went from a Desktop to a Laptop I get treated like a noob by you elitist... Get over yourselves. The OS is immature and lacks the polish for normal day to day use.

I can't really think of any great reason to use it without huge negatives over shadowing it.

I love Vista and could never go back to XP but I can't really agree with Vista 64 being a good OS. Maybe in the future when 64bit OSes get more support and are the primary platform it will be worth it but I rather run Vista 32 so I can play Thief 1/2 and Dark Forces 2.