PDA

View Full Version : WoW stutter in Vista

mario64
08-20-08, 04:13 PM
I just got a new Vista x64 laptop with the 175.80 drivers loaded. All games work fine except WoW. I get a periodic jerk or stutter every few seconds, mostly when turning the camera. If I'm just running straight ahead it doesn't do it.

I've googled it and tried all the suggestions: newer drivers, deleting WTF and MDB WoW folders, 'smooth mouse' fix, vsync on/off, and messed with every single video setting in game. I've uninstalled Norton and tried setting affinity to one cpu core too.

Any ideas on how to fix this? If I can't resolve it I'm just going to return it and take the restock fee hit. :-(

Thanks,
mario64

Asus G50V-A2
9700M GT 512MB
Dual Core 2 @ 2.53
Vista x64
4 GB RAM

Labyrinth
08-20-08, 05:00 PM
Return a laptop because of WoW stutter? OMG. GTFO!

kazna
08-20-08, 05:08 PM
Reinstall windows without the bloat if you have a restore disk that allows you to do that. I had this issue as well at one point (with my current rig), but don't remember what resolved it.

shilk
08-20-08, 06:34 PM
Could be an outdated or addon that's leaking memory or something. I had to ditch Cartographer and go with an older version. Questhelper was also having issues. Might want to check up any addons to make sure they haven't been doing funky stuff. Since WotLK is around the corner, a lot of addon authors have rewritten the code.

Have you tried this (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=8D2110C7D952B1F1D962B7D4743 A60C2.app11_06?topicId=2968179453&pageNo=1&sid=1)?

Try running it in opengl.
Go to your WTF folder and then in config.wtf, add:
SET gxApi "opengl"

From what I gather, it can also be a bug that was reintroduced in the latest patch.

And install the latest DX9. It was released a week ago or something.

mario64
08-20-08, 08:00 PM
Could be an outdated or addon that's leaking memory or something. I had to ditch Cartographer and go with an older version. Questhelper was also having issues. Might want to check up any addons to make sure they haven't been doing funky stuff. Since WotLK is around the corner, a lot of addon authors have rewritten the code.

Have you tried this (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=8D2110C7D952B1F1D962B7D4743 A60C2.app11_06?topicId=2968179453&pageNo=1&sid=1)?

Try running it in opengl.
Go to your WTF folder and then in config.wtf, add:
SET gxApi "opengl"

From what I gather, it can also be a bug that was reintroduced in the latest patch.

And install the latest DX9. It was released a week ago or something.
Thanks Shilk. I will try those things. I did already try running with no addons at all but it didn't help. :( I'm also gonna try a fresh install of Vista with just graphics, sound and LAN drivers to see what happens.

shilk
08-20-08, 09:25 PM
Sure, np! :)

Make sure you get SP1 and the software compatabilty patches for Vista that have come out in the past few days/months. They do make a difference. At least they did for me. :D

They should be linked here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11).

Absu
08-28-08, 02:37 PM
I had a problem like this before.

To fix it, log into wow and in the chat box type /console_maxfps 60 (or change 60 to refresh rate of monitor) and hit enter.

This fixed the jerkiness for me.

mario64
08-28-08, 03:07 PM
It turns out the stuttering was caused by my hard drive being set to SATA I instead of SATA II. The drives are Seagate and for whatever reason Asus left them in 1.5 Gb/sec compatibility mode instead of 3.0Gb/sec full performance mode. I know most (but not all) benchmarks show the difference to be insignificant but it certainly got rid of the stuttering.