PDA

View Full Version : Bioshocked

seeker
08-20-08, 10:01 PM
I installed Bioshock today, after receiving a copy of it and I will say that it was probably the toughest installation that I have made. Each time that I tried to install it, it complained that Process Explorer was running, and it aborted the installation. Finally, on the seventh attempt (partly due to finicky dialup connection}, I got the autopatcher to work, but only after completely deleting Process Explorer from my startup menu. Even after closing the program and checking in Task Manager and seeing that nothing was shown to indicate that PE was running, SecuROM insisted that it was.

After finishing the installation, something caused an error that the system wanted to report to MS, but as usual, I declined. When the setup asked whether to start the game, I accepted, and was immediately confronted with a freeze. Escaping that, the pregame movie clip kept blinking on and off, and I couldn't escape from their text screen, which I didn't read, although it took a couple of minutes for it to disappear.

Finally, the game began, and after the crash and swimming to the shore, immediately upon entering the door, the game froze again. I had to do a forced shutdown to escape. Not being deterred, I started the game again, and going through similar problems as before, it managed to get past them without shutting down.

It was playing reasonably well, until I got to the medical pavillion, and had to hack a robot that the door kept closing on, but every time that I hit (V), a screen appearred that had start/decline selection to make, but it froze and the cursor would not move, until it finally dropped the screen on it's own. Does anyone have any idea of how to hack that robot so that the game can continue?

NarcissistZero
08-20-08, 10:20 PM
We could make this a "homer"... a new word that means something.

Tough installation can now be called a BioShock.

"Rainbow Six Vegas BioShocked me!"

sillyeagle
08-20-08, 10:22 PM
Try loading a saved game prior to that level, so it can reload the section.

MowTin
08-20-08, 10:29 PM
These "problems" are really bonus puzzles for the PC version. If you can't solve these piddly directx and openAL issues then you're not worthy of Rapture.

AngelGraves13
08-20-08, 11:03 PM
And once again....STEAM wins!

methimpikehoses
08-20-08, 11:05 PM
In mother Russia, steam downloads from you.

Madpistol
08-20-08, 11:37 PM

QFT.

seeker
08-21-08, 08:16 PM
These "problems" are really bonus puzzles for the PC version. If you can't solve these piddly directx and openAL issues then you're not worthy of Rapture.
It is not a question of whether I'm worthy of Rapture, it is whether Rapture is worthy of me. But since you seem to consider this a piddly problem, perhaps you would be so benevolent as to share a ray of your brilliance, if for no other reason than to inspire the masses.

seeker
08-21-08, 08:19 PM
Try loading a saved game prior to that level, so it can reload the section.
I shall try that, but I'm about to change out some major components in the computer, which I hope will improve performance, if not solve this problem. Your idea is much more simple though.

bob saget
08-21-08, 08:30 PM
In mother Russia, steam downloads from you.

:rofl

MowTin
08-21-08, 10:13 PM
It is not a question of whether I'm worthy of Rapture, it is whether Rapture is worthy of me. But since you seem to consider this a piddly problem, perhaps you would be so benevolent as to share a ray of your brilliance, if for no other reason than to inspire the masses.

I was being sarcastic.

I had a hell of a time getting that game to work after I bought it from Steam a few weeks ago. I spent at leat 16 hours racking my brain and searching forums for solutions.

Lots of people with problems running this game especially since the patch. Go to 2k Forums http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and also check steam powered bioshock forums. Your solution must be there somewhere.

Also, your 7800 GTX is a little old. I doubt you could sell it for $50.

seeker
08-26-08, 12:34 PM
I changed out the MB and video card, and the game plays okay now, with the exception of one problem...at the frequent intervals it stops respoding to the mouse, and when it then does move it jumps so that it goes beyond what you want, and then locks again, and jumps again. It has now done this with 3 different video cards, including the 8800GTX that I now have installed, so I don't believe that it is a video card problem. It's as though it loses contact with the USB input. I have no idea of how it migh work with a corded mouse, and I don't intend to find out, because if it doesn't like my cordless mouse, then I don't like it. Is there any way to improve this?

nemecb
08-26-08, 04:34 PM

finicky dialup connection
Steamoverdialupfail.:p

seeker
08-28-08, 10:06 PM
I even got rid of the jerking mouse problem, after setting it up on raid 0. Apparently, it just has to have everthing it's own way.

seeker
09-01-08, 07:48 PM
After installing a NoCD patch, the game started to crashing to desktop. I'm not certain that the patch is the cause, except in terms of the timing. It takes so long to install the game that I'm not anxious to reinstall it, but I guess that's inevitable. The problem is, that I found nothing that looked like a saved games folder. I really don't want to start from the beginning again...anyone know how to save the saved games?

ViN86
09-01-08, 07:52 PM
oh man seeker. i feel your pain. i had so many problems with activation. turns out i had to erase SecuROM completely and reinstall. omg what a headache. but i finally got it installed.

seeker
01-23-09, 06:26 PM
I waited until I had installed a new OS (WS2K8) to try installing Bioshock once more, but it is beginning to look like a losing battle. I got the game installed, without any error appearing, and the autopatcher ran okay, but when I tried to run the game, it said that it had failed to creat the GameExplorer object. I let it try to find a solution online, but the wizard only appeared for a couple of moments and disappeared. I assume that means that they had no solution, and neither do I...does anyone?

seeker
01-23-09, 07:30 PM
I got it to run in compatability mode, now to see how far I can get this time?

seeker
01-26-09, 11:30 PM
Not very far, I'm afraid. I got to the location where he got the inferno plasmid and set a bunch of people on fire, but after crawling back out into the main room, every time that I try to search a corpse, the game would lock up. The first time this happened, it said that it had caused a DEP violation, so I set Bioshock as an exception. Then, in the same area, doing the same thing, the game locked up without the DEP error, but had a window suggesting that I update the game, so I updated to 1.1...or at least I tried.

When running the patch, I got multiple error windows, like attached below. At the end of the series of errors, it stated that it had sucessfully updated to 1.1, but when restarting the game, the main menu still said that it was version 1.0, and when selecting to continue the game, it never finished loading, and I had to kill it with the Task Manager.

As I said before, this is probably a losing battle, but I'm open to any suggestions.

saturnotaku
01-27-09, 04:57 AM
Unless you're playing a game you purchased through Steam, don't use an auto patcher. Get the patch file separately.

seeker
01-27-09, 05:13 AM
No, it is a retail box. As far as the autopatcher, it runs automatically as a part of the installation. I don't understand it though, because it says that it installs the latest update, but the time that it spends downloading isn't enough to download the 1.1 patch...it only runs a few seconds. As far as not running it, I didn't see a way to prevent it. Perhaps you mean something different? Despite the autopatcher running, and the manual installatilon of the 1.1 retail patch, the game still says that it is 1.0.