PDA

View Full Version : ping question

buicks suck
08-21-08, 09:17 PM
i just tested my connection with speed test.

i get 1722 kbps for upload and a ping of 119.

my question is why is the ping so high? is that the same ping i'd have if i were to play quake 3 over the net?

any answers would be appreciated=] i'm quite concerned.

buicks suck
08-21-08, 09:19 PM
btw, i'm using the second fastest cox service.

i'm using a linksys wusb600n on my pc the one i tested.

using a wrt54g router on the other pc that i didn't test.

fivefeet8
08-22-08, 06:13 PM

my question is why is the ping so high? is that the same ping i'd have if i were to play quake 3 over the net?

The ping value is a measure of latency. If you did the test by connecting to the actual server hosting the Quake 3 game you're playing at, then yes that would probably be your ping. If not, then your ping would be different.

henrybravo
08-23-08, 03:52 AM
In my experience, cable connections usually have a higher ping than DSL, or even dial-up, connections.

Do you work for the phone company or something? You're referring to cable latency many years ago when the cable networks first started offering internet. You're way off base now.

I'm on Cox cable in Tulsa, 12 mb down / 1 mb up. My ping times are:

www.yahoo.com 17 ms
Speedtest.net to Dallas (Filecloud) 14 ms
www.google.com 29 ms

HB

henrybravo
08-23-08, 04:00 AM

Don't base your latency on just one site. If that site was saturated during the time of your test, or it is excessive network hops away from you, it will affect your ping times. Ping other sites and see what you get. Many sites don't respond to ping, but www.yahoo.com, your DNS servers, www.google.com, etc, are good tests.

HB

t3hl33td4rg0n
08-23-08, 05:00 AM
In my experience, cable connections usually have a higher ping than DSL, or even dial-up, connections.

The difference is tiny, though...and your ping isn't that bad anyways.

Where do you get this from?

I ping cable modems all day long, and the latency is alot better than what I see on DSL modems.

DansFace
08-29-11, 01:03 PM
run a tracert command and see if you can pin point where the latency is coming frmo

mullet
08-30-11, 05:03 PM
run a tracert command and see if you can pin point where the latency is coming frmo

+1

Rakeesh
09-18-11, 08:18 AM

The difference is tiny, though...and your ping isn't that bad anyways.

In the old old old old days of cable (think back prior to 1997) this had a ring of truth to it, but not anymore. Your typical HFC (hybrid fiber-coax) cable network will see less than 10ms from your PC to the border gateway.

Your typical DSL connection on the other hand is not so lucky. DSL has to implement something called interleaving in order to create data parity to minimize dropped packets due to errors caused by noise on the line. Remember these still use the same old phone lines that your voice system uses; they just operate at an out of voice band frequency, not to mention the wiring can be pretty old. The amount of interleaving varies depending on your distance from the DSLAM and the quality of the wiring, but it will vary from 15ms to 50ms.

So you have to keep in mind, that this latency is just from the point to point connection from the modem to the DSLAM alone. We haven't even figured in latency to the first border gateway.

Also unlike DSL, cable uses shielded wiring from end to end, so most of these issues don't apply to it.