PDA

View Full Version : geforce 8800 install failed - no signal

reality69trip
08-21-08, 09:36 PM
Hi- I just purchased an Nvidia Geforce 8800 graphics card to upgrade so I can play Spore when it comes out in September. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers, but I tend to have bad luck. I uninstalled my old graphics drivers using the add remove/programs, shut down, took the card out, put the new card in. Plugged in the extra power cord directly to the PSU, started it up. Oh, and yes, the card is seated properly in the PCI-express slot and I'm using a 6-pin connector from the psu to the new card. Soooo....I can't even get it to post (no error beeps, but no posting beep, and no windows startup noise). I'm getting the 'no signal' error from my monitor.

So I figured I'd google my symptoms to find out what I did wrong. I found this thread, apparently many other people have had similar problem. Some of the people just had their symptoms mysteriously dissappear, but that doesn't help me! www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88904 I did try resetting my CMOS and that didn't do anything.

Here's my stats:
Windows 2000pro, all service packs etc installed.
Asus motherboard P5VD2-X (most current drivers installed)
PSU Antec sp-500 watts
old card: ATI radeon x850
new card: Evea Geforce 8800
cpu: intel 2.8ghz
ram: 1gig ddr2
monitor: viewsonic

I suppose the new card could be bad, but somehow I doubt it. Let me know what ideas you have, i really appreciate your time!

Linda

jcrox
08-21-08, 10:12 PM
I didn't think windows 2000 was supported any longer with the 8 series of cards, I could be wrong though

Edit: looking on the Nvidia site, there is no Windows 2000 option when selecting an OS from 8800 series cards, this very well may be your problem.

CaptNKILL
08-22-08, 12:42 AM
I didn't think windows 2000 was supported any longer with the 8 series of cards, I could be wrong though

Edit: looking on the Nvidia site, there is no Windows 2000 option when selecting an OS from 8800 series cards, this very well may be your problem.

It won't even post, so it isn't getting to the OS.

I'm not sure what the problem could be exactly. Maybe your power supply is going bad? Its hard to say...

What kind of 8800 is it? 8800GT? GTX, GTS, GS...

Still, you may have problems once you actually do get to Windows. Windows 2000 isn't supported anymore by most games or drivers. I don't know if Spore will work on anything under Windows XP.

seeker
08-22-08, 09:00 PM
I once had a problem installing a different graphics card than what had been installed, although it did have an output, only very bad. I later learned that the reason for this was probably because I had just removed the drivers with Add/Remove like you did, and did not uninstall the card from the Device Manager also, beforing trying the new card. Try booting into Safe Mode then into the Device Manager, and then click View, and select Show Hidden Devices, and see if a ghost of the old card appears in the Display Adapters. It a long shot that this will solve anything, but a long shot is better than a blind one.

EDIT: OOPS! This would be difficult to do with the card in question, since it has no output, but you could do this with a known good card of some kind.

Lfctony
08-23-08, 01:31 PM
Try flashing to the latest bios of your motherboard with the old card, then install the new card and try again...

ViN86
08-23-08, 01:44 PM
lol i am going to say this because i have done this before.

are you sure the card is seated properly? can you tell that the card is inserted all the way and the pins are in contact?

i had a problem once and it was because i didnt push down on the card hard enough so the pins werent contacting (that was back with my Radeon 7500) :lol:

jimmor
08-23-08, 05:47 PM
Hi- I just purchased an Nvidia Geforce 8800 graphics card to upgrade so I can play Spore when it comes out in September. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers, but I tend to have bad luck. I uninstalled my old graphics drivers using the add remove/programs, shut down, took the card out, put the new card in. Plugged in the extra power cord directly to the PSU, started it up. Oh, and yes, the card is seated properly in the PCI-express slot and I'm using a 6-pin connector from the psu to the new card. Soooo....I can't even get it to post (no error beeps, but no posting beep, and no windows startup noise). I'm getting the 'no signal' error from my monitor.

So I figured I'd google my symptoms to find out what I did wrong. I found this thread, apparently many other people have had similar problem. Some of the people just had their symptoms mysteriously dissappear, but that doesn't help me! www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88904 I did try resetting my CMOS and that didn't do anything.

Here's my stats:
Windows 2000pro, all service packs etc installed.
Asus motherboard P5VD2-X (most current drivers installed)
PSU Antec sp-500 watts
old card: ATI radeon x850
new card: Evea Geforce 8800
cpu: intel 2.8ghz
ram: 1gig ddr2
monitor: viewsonic

I suppose the new card could be bad, but somehow I doubt it. Let me know what ideas you have, i really appreciate your time!

Linda

A read of the linked thread below might just provide an answer to your problem,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=257015

All original supplied G92 based 8800GT's were incompatible with "VIA" chipset motherboards. The problem was resolved by a subsequent manufacturer provided 8800GT Bios upgrade !

Which means if your card is a G92 based 8800, then you may have an original that hasn't yet had it's bios upgraded??

I believe EVGA were the first to introduce the Bios upgrade solution, so their cards were originally recommended as the best buy for people using "via" chipset mobos. Of course, these days, most manufacturers should have introduced the bios upgrade fix, which means in theory it shouldn't matter whose card you purchase?

A clue to the "VIA chipset fix" being implimented by manufacturer is that the bios of a EVGA 8800gt 512mb card should be rev 62.92.24.00.xx series (or higher), whereas a MSI 8800gt 512mb card should have bios rev 62.92.23.00.xx series (or higher)?

:)

buicks suck
08-23-08, 06:21 PM
nice name and welcome to the forums=]

i had nothing else to do so i was just mindlessly reading about the 8 series on wikipedia a few hours ago for no good reason, and was reading about it being incompatible with via pci-e 1.0 based chipsets.

actually i googled "8800 gt bw compatibility" and just got sidetracked to reading about this on wikipedia. wikipedia keeps my ass hooked too much for my own good.

sorry i didn't see this here to reply to this sooner.

also, a heads-up, updating to evga's newest bios will solve the fan issue as well. and after flashing to their newest bios i'd recommend evga precision. i have my fan set to 100%, and the memory uc'd by 20MHz effective and the core @ 650 mhz, and the shaders @ 1619mhz.

i hope you'll enjoy your 8800 gt as much as i've enjoyed mine=]

make sure you tick apply settings at windows setup then hit apply then ok.

reality69trip
08-24-08, 11:21 AM
Wow, you guys rock! Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses! Let me respond to them in order...

CaptnKill- It's a 8800 GS from Evga, sorry I should have mentioned that the first time.

Seeker- I did look in the device manager after uninstalling the old drivers, but I didn't look at 'hidden' devices. I never even noticed that option in the view menu before! Thanks for the hint!

Vin86- Heh, yes, I am very sure the card is seated properly. I believe the computer usually has some error beeps during post if it detects a card is only halfway in anyway.s

Jimmor- Oh boy, I hope this is the answer to my problem! I read the thread you posted, but is it all versions of 8800 cards, or just the GTs? Mine is a GS. I don't understand what the "G92" part of the card is. How do I find that out? I downloaded the neat little tool from ASUS that supposedly lets you update your bios in windows, and it doesn't work! So I'll have to do it the old fashioned way, which is a pain the butt.

Buicks suck- I'm probably not going to update my bios until I hear from someone that this is appropriate for my card since it's a GS, not a GT.

Thanks again everyone!
Linda

jcrox
08-24-08, 12:34 PM
The G92 refers to the graphics chip itself and yes, the 8800 GS is a G92 GPU so I would guess CaptnKill is correct with his idea that it's not compatible with your pci-e 1.0. Even if you do get it to somehow work with that motherboard though you are very likely to at the very least have problems running it with Windows 2000 as I don't believe there are any drivers for that windows version that will work with an 8800 series card.

Just a suggestion, avoid taking advice from buicks suck.... that kid isn't quite all there.

jimmor
08-24-08, 05:39 PM
Jimmor- Oh boy, I hope this is the answer to my problem! I read the thread you posted, but is it all versions of 8800 cards, or just the GTs? Mine is a GS. I don't understand what the "G92" part of the card is. How do I find that out? I downloaded the neat little tool from ASUS that supposedly lets you update your bios in windows, and it doesn't work! So I'll have to do it the old fashioned way, which is a pain the butt.

Linda

Because your 8800gs is G92 based, it is also likely just needing a "VIA chipset fix" bios update ?

Whether such a updated bios for a 8800GS yet exists however is not known to me ---> so maybe it's a good time to Email your card's manufacturer for an appropriate bios solution?

On the other hand, if you should become desperate for a fix, you could also check out the linked thread below, since it could provide you with another possible bios upgrade route ?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188402

XDanger
08-25-08, 05:34 AM
Good riddance VIA.

reality69trip
08-25-08, 03:26 PM
Jimmor- Awesome news; I could hug you! I don't have time to try your idea today, but I should tomorrow (tuesday). I'll post the same on the other thread for others who have the same issues. I've never done any sort of overclocking or modding or anything like that though, so I have a few questions (on the other thread, if you'd be so kind to read them. Hehe...as for emailing the manufacturer, sure, I'll try it, but the chances of getting any real response is close to nil. But I'm sure you knew that, which is why you made your version of the fix.

Linda

jimmor
08-25-08, 08:26 PM
Jimmor- Awesome news; I could hug you! I don't have time to try your idea today, but I should tomorrow (tuesday). I'll post the same on the other thread for others who have the same issues. I've never done any sort of overclocking or modding or anything like that though, so I have a few questions (on the other thread, if you'd be so kind to read them. Hehe...as for emailing the manufacturer, sure, I'll try it, but the chances of getting any real response is close to nil. But I'm sure you knew that, which is why you made your version of the fix.

Linda

No problem, glad to help!

Since your 8800gs currently doesn't allow your computer to post, hopefully you have access to someone elses more friendly computer otherwise you won't be flashing anything?

reality69trip
09-09-08, 01:40 PM
Sorry I've been gone for a while...long story. So, updated information on my situation: I formatted my HD and installed Windows XP for reasons not involving my graphics card. I updated my bios to the latest from the motherboard site. And tried installing the card again. Now it's an even better reaction <shudder>. Now when I try to bootup I get a lovely blue flash for less than a second along with a click from the area of the power supply. I thought automatically oh crap I've killed my power supply, but no, it's fine and dandy once I put the old graphics card back in. Is this a definite sign that I need to RMA the card? If so, why the hell didn't it do that the first few times I put it in my computer? (I make sure to clear myself of static electricity before I handle all parts and all that good jazz, btw).

I have also emailed EVGA and gotten a response from them. They said essentially, 'try the card in another computer to make sure it's not DOA, and then maybe we'll consider helping you more'. Definitely a logical idea that I would like to try, but neither I nor my friends have another computer with a PCI-e slot. I do of course have the option of paying a computer repair shop $25 to have them see if the card is dead. Yuck. I notice that Jimmor, you put up an updated version of the bios with defaults of 550/1375/800. You must have far too much time on your hands, but thank you. What numbers should I use if I didn't want to over clock? This is of course for future reference, since I can't do anything at the moment. At this point I think I'd pay someone else $50 to install the thing even though I can't really afford it...

Linda

XDanger
09-09-08, 02:07 PM
If Linda has a Pentium 4, 2.8ghz CPU the graphics card money would have been better spent on a core2

At this point I think I'd pay someone else $50 to install the thing even though I can't really afford it...
Linda
Find a local nerd ,They love doing stuff like this for free.

reality69trip
09-09-08, 03:49 PM
If Linda has a Pentium 4, 2.8ghz CPU the graphics card money would have been better spent on a core2
Find a local nerd ,They love doing stuff like this for free.

Heheheh...and how exactly do I go about finding a local nerd? I am one to a small degree, and even I don't work for free (unless it's a friend). Unfortunately, most of my friends are not nerds, and the ones that are only know UNIX/networking stuff, not windows. As for the core2 comment, are you indicating that you think my CPU can't handle the graphics card load? My old graphics card won't play Spore, it's not good enough.

Linda

wysiwyg
09-10-08, 10:57 AM
i would just RMA the bugger also as its an EVGA maybe you can step up to a better GT, the GS may have 512mb more than a GT but a GT is still better

also you say you have "cpu: intel 2.8ghz" but that could be any CPU still

so..
is it a dual core, single core, quad, celeron?

also you have an ok PSU so that has enough juice

oh and have you tried both monitor outputs on the card? and is digital or analogue input correctly selected on the monitor assuming it has DVI

XDanger
09-10-08, 04:42 PM
As for the core2 comment, are you indicating that you think my CPU can't handle the graphics card load? My old graphics card won't play Spore, it's not good enough.

Linda
A Pentium would bottleneck the performance of an 8800 graphics card, It wont stop it working.

Point being unless you upgrade the CPU you are wasting money on a fast graphics card when something slower and cheaper will work just the same.

My p4 Northwood @ 3.4 (if I remember right) was a bottleneck for my old ATI x1900gt ,Therefore anything better than an x1900gt is a waste.