PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64bit upgrade or full install??

kaptkarl
08-22-08, 03:50 PM
Which is better? Do the upgrade, or format and do full clean install. I'm leaning towards a upgrade as I want to keep all of my settings, e-mail, etc as is w/o going thru the pain of formatting.

Kapt

top3koms
08-22-08, 03:55 PM
Well it will always be best to format and do a complete reinstall especially when going from one OS to another.Question is how much time are you willing to invest?

kaptkarl
08-22-08, 04:06 PM
Time is not an issue. I just don't want to lose all my settings and go thru the pain of a full install. However if it is better, then I guess I'll be formatting and a full install.

Kapt

nekrosoft13
08-22-08, 04:09 PM
you can do upgrade from 32bit OS to 64bit OS anyway

Phyxion
08-23-08, 01:30 AM
Time is not an issue. I just don't want to lose all my settings and go thru the pain of a full install. However if it is better, then I guess I'll be formatting and a full install.

Kapt

Yes, I also should format.

kaptkarl
08-23-08, 08:42 AM
Cannot due upgrade if you have XP SP3 installed. The upgrade option is disabled and have to due full install. Works just fine though.

Kapt

DCult
08-24-08, 05:42 AM
I know this is not what you're asking, but I bought the upgrade and installed 64bit Vista in dual boot with XP. Works fine although it's kinda illegal, since I'm not supposed to use Xp any more.