PDA

View Full Version : "Apples to apples"

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrNasty
05-15-03, 01:25 AM
Not with Nvidias definition of antialising.

Here are my views.

We. Need. A. Regulatory. Body.

http://members.aol.com/like/hah.jpg

Will the madness never end ?

marcocom
05-15-03, 03:01 AM
i have to admit that the second example does accurately resemble the FSAA of my FX5800Ultra. i have noticed that ATi's version tends to be alot cleaner while nvidia's tends to still stairstep slightly even at the highest settings.

however, if anyone else starts in with this 'your an nvidiot for buying nvidia' crap , as if a benchmark or slight visual differences is supposed to make us all drop every other reason for investing in nvidia and just go out and buy an ATi card....im coming to your house to beat your ass.

enjoy YOUR purchase and let me enjoy mine.

because lets face it, you could have posted this in the OTHER GRAPHICS HARDWARE forum or at your Rage3d site. this constant glee in coming to our forum and telling us how stupid we are is really sad and its something no nvidia user is doing or has done ever.

bkswaney
05-15-03, 03:06 AM
The NV30's "best" IQ comes from 4xS mode.
I run it with nothing else. It's so sweet like honey. ;) :D hehehe
4xS looks better than 8x.

Try it in performance mode and your FPS will stay up and IQ is sweet. :angel:

Humus
05-15-03, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by marcocom
this constant glee in coming to our forum and telling us how stupid we are is really sad and its something no nvidia user is doing or has done ever.

LOL, yeah right.

StealthHawk
05-15-03, 04:54 AM
You can't have an apples to apples comparison. First of all, NONE of the FSAA methods between cards are exactly equal. And then let's bring up AF....again, not equal. The best you can do is to try to approximate quality between two different(or more) boards.

As I see it, there are two kinds of reviews.

Review #1: this is you typical video card review found at hardware review sites or video card fansites. The reviews are in place to help people determine which card they should buy. Do to this, you must show accurate representations of how games are played. For example, if the NV30 path is the default path on NV30 cards, then this should be tested! That's not to say the ARB2 path shouldn't also be tested on NV30, but the NV30 path DEFINTELY should be tested. Otherwise the review cannot and does not paint an accurate perspective of how the card in question will be used. IMO for consumers, this review is the most valuable. The comparisons that depict how the games actually play and look and feel should take precedence. Sure, it might be more interesting to have an apples to apples comparison that can answer some questions people might have, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Review #2: this is a technical review found at hardware enthusiast sites, made for people interested in technical comparisons. These reviews should try as hard as possible to compare apples to apples, because they want to compare technology first and foremost, not gameplay. In the case of Doom3, this kind of review should test only the ARB2 path when comparing cards that support it.

marcocom
05-15-03, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Humus
LOL, yeah right.

heh. ya that was a pretty blanket statement :P

zakelwe
05-15-03, 06:25 AM
That blue circle in the ATi shot looks a lot more jaggy.

Also, the blob where the circle joins up is bigger, probably due to ATi's bigger pixels due to their 0.15 micron core not " sifting" the pixels as finely.

vampireuk
05-15-03, 07:37 AM
will the madness every end, hmm it should be more like "Will you people ever shut up and stop raking through things to scream and point at". If this was ATI I bet none of you would be screaming and whining about this then ;)

DaveW
05-15-03, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty

Here are my views.

Thanks for the comparison. I already brought up this point in another thread. If you take FSAA into account then the 5900 isn't much faster than the 9800 since you have to run the GeForce at a higher level of FSAA to get the image quality close to that of the Radeon.

digitalwanderer
05-15-03, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
will the madness every end, hmm it should be more like "Will you people ever shut up and stop raking through things to scream and point at". If this was ATI I bet none of you would be screaming and whining about this then ;)

No, if it was ATi I think we'd all be too shocked to react...with nVidia we're getting used to it lately. :p

(G'morning Vamp! Ready for some real fun today? ;) )

BigFish7
05-15-03, 08:33 AM
what a stupid point got over there, i looked the picrute once again and look what i found better angales of FSAA on NV card, better then ATI's FSAA...
the point is this: some angles are much better on ATI's Cards however the other are better or the NV's cards...
from what i have checked and as i remember it.
1.-30<X<30 & 150<X<210 ATI's FSAA is way better (that is the main thing that NV should fix with their FSAA for the NV40)
2.30<X<45 &135<X<150 & 210<X<225 & 315<X<330 are the same on both cards.
3.45<X<135 &225<X<315 are way better on NV's cards.

maybe i recall it wrong but you got the point...
there are some angles where ATI is the king however the other goes to NV and some are the same...

Grrrpoop
05-15-03, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BigFish7
what a stupid point got over there, i looked the picrute once again and look what i found better angales of FSAA on NV card, better then ATI's FSAA...
the point is this: some angles are much better on ATI's Cards however the other are better or the NV's cards..
yeah, cos that's waaay more noticeable than the horizontal aliasing on the nVidia screenie :rolleyes:

BigFish7
05-15-03, 08:51 AM
yeap you'll see more lines because almost all the buildings and thing are built using these lines :)
however the lines which are better on NV are not that bad on the ATI as it horable on the NV against the ATI ( on the other lines ).
rofl that is bewilder :eek:

phial
05-15-03, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by zakelwe

Also, the blob where the circle joins up is bigger, probably due to ATi's bigger pixels due to their 0.15 micron core not " sifting" the pixels as finely.

WTF ...

YOU HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE WAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT

example:

.15 palim 1700+ athlon
.13 tbred 1700+ athlon

SAME SPEED. different heat/max clock

my god man, PULEEEZE read about what your talking about before you even post in a debate!!!!

wat is it with this place? i mean, im not trying to sound anti-nvidia, cause im NOT, but i mean this is like the 3rd out of 15 posts i read where people "state facts" such as this, yet are so completely clueless that its sickening

"sifting pixels". hahah my god man

edit by StealthHawk: don't circumvent the swear filter.

phial
05-15-03, 09:09 AM
and btw, you have Nvidia and ATI backwards. look again, nvidias is the jaggy one

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit by StealthHawk: no personal attacks, please.

zakelwe
05-15-03, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by phial
and btw, you have Nvidia and ATI backwards. look again, nvidias is the jaggy one

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think irony is obviously lost on you.

The blue circle being drawn in by the poster after the screen print was taken.

You stick to knock knock jokes my good man.

Regards

Oscar Wilde.

ATI LoVeR 9700
05-15-03, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by :nutkick: zakelwe

LMAO!!!!

:retard: :retard: :alc: :lol2: :smoking2: :baaa:: :crosseye: :bash: :rofl

That is the craziest thing I've ever read! The manufacturing process has NOTHING to do with the way the pixels are processed! Nothing remotely at all! It's like saying: "The sky is blue because I mowed my lawn today" It has nothing to due with the process. Nothing.

zakelwe
05-15-03, 09:31 AM
You stick to trying to understand Doctor Doctor jokes as well .

There's enough clues in the paragraph to know it was a piss take.

At least for some folks ...

Regards

Andy LOL at you

ATI LoVeR 9700
05-15-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by zakelwe
You stick to trying to understand Doctor Doctor jokes as well .

There's enough clues in the paragraph to know it was a piss take.

At least for some folks ...

Regards

Andy LOL at you

Your making no sense at all! None! Your posts are senseless and you have know nothing about 3D Graphics. What are you trying to say, I don't think anybody understands you. Are you trying to say ATi's picture looks worse? Are you trying to say it looks worse because of their .15u process? We obviously know that the circle was drawn after. :retard: So what are you trying to tell us? And please... Try to post in paragraphs too, not just single phrases, it helps people understand you.

Grrrpoop
05-15-03, 10:11 AM
FFS.. zakelwe made a joke. It wasn't that subtle, engage your brains guys..

phial
05-15-03, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
FFS.. zakelwe made a joke. It wasn't that subtle, engage your brains guys..

how was that a joke? i certainly didnt laugh... and there was nothing to indicate otherwise

silence
05-15-03, 10:31 AM
how was that a joke? i certainly didnt laugh... and there was nothing to indicate otherwise

i think we should make new tag for fanboys around here....

<joke>
</joke>

maybe then they would see........:rolleyes:

Sazar
05-15-03, 10:32 AM

it was too obvious to some of us... not so to others...

:)

my advice is let it rest and we will try and forget the zakelwe bashing that occured just a few posts ago...

btw... that was pretty funny :D

Nv40
05-15-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty

Here are my views.

mmm ,if we go Nitpicky ,THe textures on the ATI card looks blurier..
look at the wall and the Gun.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33685499

in other games ,the diferences with textures are greater...
ATI have better AA because their are more agreessive with Blur filters.

btw.. for more apple vs apple comparisons visit this tread...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11672

we have there an interesting discussion ,
still im waiting for those Raven shield screeshots..
using the FLuid posture... :)

DaveW
05-15-03, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Nv40

in other games ,the diferences with textures are greater...
ATI have better AA because their are more agreessive with Blur filters

ATI's AA does not use blur filters. I can tell the difference between anti-aliasing and blurring. You are thinking of nVidia's Quintex AA mode :P