PDA

View Full Version : New pc with vista

aaahhh52
08-23-08, 04:52 PM
Ok just got a new laptop. Sony vaio NR. Going to be using it for college. This is my first experience with Vista, and it certainly is a bloated OS. Question is what can i uninstall to not have so many processes running at one time. Currently i have 80:thumbdwn: Sooo what can i do?

Sazar
08-23-08, 05:49 PM
Ok just got a new laptop. Sony vaio NR. Going to be using it for college. This is my first experience with Vista, and it certainly is a bloated OS. Question is what can i uninstall to not have so many processes running at one time. Currently i have 80:thumbdwn: Sooo what can i do?

Define bloated?

There are a lot of items that are listed which actually make the system smoother and snappier (i.e. indexing) which will show up as processes.

This is NOT XP which had crappy memory management and would bog down with multiple processes running.

That being said, I have 70 processes running on my media system so I am sure there are some Sony specific processes that you can disable.

Is the system running slow? If it is, there are some animations and what not you can turn off to give you a more bare-bones and controlled setup instead if having all kinds of useless crap being rendered.

npras42
08-23-08, 07:10 PM
For once its not just Microsoft BS. The memory is supposed to be loaded with stuff and you'll hear a lot of HDD thrashing once you boot. They're both for the benefit of system speed. As Sazar says though, there are probably a fair few Sony specific things to turn off. Go to services.msc and look through the list.

aaahhh52
08-23-08, 07:13 PM
Well im assuming i should disable the sony specific programs. Its not that the system is running slow but its showing that im using over half of my 2gb of ram. That just seems to be quite a bit for a system with no other programs loaded besides what loads at startup.

npras42
08-23-08, 07:17 PM
Its completely normal... Soon as the memory is needed for anything else the OS will unload anything unecessary. Thats not to say that Windows Vista itself is as lean as XP was memorywise. There is a significant improvement from 1GB to 2GB RAM that you wouldn't notice as much in XP. However, overall memory management is actually done better (ie more efficient) the Vista way compared to the XP way of keeping memory unutilised until something major needs it.

aaahhh52
08-23-08, 07:48 PM
alright cool, i guess i just gotta learn how vista works before i jump to conclusions. Thanks for the help guys!

nekrosoft13
08-23-08, 09:08 PM
remember with vista more memory you have more memory vista will use, when that memory is required for other apps, vista will free it up.

that is simply how it works, and it does it very well