PDA

View Full Version : What is the quality of TV out on GF4 MX and GF FX cards?

dirtydog
05-15-03, 06:55 AM
I currently have a GF2 MX with the BT869 TV chip which gives a good quality picture when playing DVDs on TV (using TVTool). I just recently tried a Ti 4200 which had a CX25871 TV chip which is better (sharper) but sadly the card was faulty so I had to return it.

Anyway I would like to buy any cheap Geforce card with the CX25871 chip except they are very hard to find, and of course all new Geforces have an integrated TV chip.

Basically I would like to know if the integrated chip is of the same quality as the CX25871 - which I would compare to a top-end standalone DVD player in terms of quality when playing DVDs. Very sharp picture, good colours, etc. btw anyone who has/had a card with the CX25871, you need TVTool to turn on the 'text enhance' setting on the chip which has the effect of making DVDs look much sharper. If you used it with just the nvidia drivers it might not have been as sharp.

I'm wondering if I could buy a cheapo GF4 MX440SE or FX 5200 (I know these are rubbish for 3D performance but that's a distant secondary interest) for 2D and DVD thru TV etc.

Thoughts? ;)

omghi2u
05-15-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtydog
I currently have a GF2 MX with the BT869 TV chip which gives a good quality picture when playing DVDs on TV (using TVTool). I just recently tried a Ti 4200 which had a CX25871 TV chip which is better (sharper) but sadly the card was faulty so I had to return it.

Anyway I would like to buy any cheap Geforce card with the CX25871 chip except they are very hard to find, and of course all new Geforces have an integrated TV chip.

Basically I would like to know if the integrated chip is of the same quality as the CX25871 - which I would compare to a top-end standalone DVD player in terms of quality when playing DVDs. Very sharp picture, good colours, etc. btw anyone who has/had a card with the CX25871, you need TVTool to turn on the 'text enhance' setting on the chip which has the effect of making DVDs look much sharper. If you used it with just the nvidia drivers it might not have been as sharp.

I'm wondering if I could buy a cheapo GF4 MX440SE or FX 5200 (I know these are rubbish for 3D performance but that's a distant secondary interest) for 2D and DVD thru TV etc.

Thoughts? ;) It's great...I'm still using it on my older 1.4 T'bird with a 29" TV. If you're just gonna buy it for the TV-out...this card may just be it.

subbo
05-15-03, 02:40 PM
I have a Gainward Twinview Goldensample GF2 MX (the original) with S-video out (bt.... chip?) and an Asus GF4 Ti4200 with the Philips 7104 chip, also a Radeon 64DDR VIVO to compare. All PAL versions.

The GF2 MX tv-out quality is crap.. it's blurry, not centered and has pale colours. The GF4 philips chip (supposedly top notch) is also blurry in comparison to the Radeon but has better colours(with both S-Video or composite). The Radeon 64DDR VIVO produces a crips and clear, richly coloured picture and has quite extensive settings for sharpness and flicker removal for both composite and s-video.

Tested on two TV's a Sony 29" 4:3 and a Sony 32" 16:9 (stretching divx etc to a "fake 16:9" mode in software helps a lot with blurry tv-output since more lines are allocated for the actual picture when watching letterboxed movies).

The PAL standars has almost 100 horizontal lines more which makes it far sharper than its NTSC counterpart (on tubes greater than 20" at least), if more flickery due to the 10hz less refresh rate. I dunno where many get the "Geforce tv-out is excellent" idea but I don't buy it.

Currently the GF2MX is on the shelf gathering dust and the radeon is in my livingroom computer serving tv-out for divx etc (not gaming).. and the GF4 is in my gaming computer.

BTW. I wouldn't watch DVD's through any of them, no vga conversion can match a standalone player. Of which I have three (Sony DVP NS 410, PS2 (with RGB color MOD + messiah) and a Panasonic A340) ;)

omghi2u
05-15-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by subbo
I dunno where many get the "Geforce tv-out is excellent" idea but I don't buy it. I don't play DVDs on my PC but divx looks the same to me in pretty much everything.

I have a Rage Fury Pro, a MX440, a Ti4600, and a R9700. While the Rage Fury is crap with TV-OUT, the MX440/4600/R9700 are pretty much the same in quality. You must have some super eyes if you can tell the difference.

Of course I've only tried S-video...haven't even touched the RCA stuff.

BTW. I wouldn't watch DVD's through any of them, no vga conversion can match a standalone player. Of which I have three (Sony DVP NS 410, PS2 (with RGB color MOD + messiah) and a Panasonic A340) ;) I agree with that...standalone DVD/PS2 is the best. PCs tend to reproduce pixelated picture and the filters just blur it too much.

dirtydog
05-16-03, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by subbo
I have a Gainward Twinview Goldensample GF2 MX (the original) with S-video out (bt.... chip?) and an Asus GF4 Ti4200 with the Philips 7104 chip, also a Radeon 64DDR VIVO to compare. All PAL versions.

The GF2 MX tv-out quality is crap.. it's blurry, not centered and has pale colours. The GF4 philips chip (supposedly top notch) is also blurry in comparison to the Radeon but has better colours(with both S-Video or composite). The Radeon 64DDR VIVO produces a crips and clear, richly coloured picture and has quite extensive settings for sharpness and flicker removal for both composite and s-video.

Blurry, not centered? TVTool fixes that.. it has full overscan and adjustment options - which ATI cards cannot do, ie. once you turn on overscan on ATI cards no positional adjustment is possible. Try TVTool and adjust flicker filter to DVD-S (sharp) and notice the difference - assuming it has a BT869 chip. The best is the CX25871 (and 25872-5) but the BT869 is very good. The flicker adjustments possible in nvidia's own drivers do not offer the same level of sharpness.

I have tried a Radeon 9100 and the TV-out on that was well inferior, and had the well-documented 800x600 'filter' problem. On my TV the picture needs shifting upwards by about an inch, and the lack of adjustment options in ATI's drivers is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Also the Philips chip on the GF4 is not the top notch one - it is inferior to the BT869, never mind the CX25871 ;)

I have no axe to grind, I don't care whether my card is nvidia, ATI, Matrox or what it is. Also I have seen the quality a standalone player gives and it was no better than my GF2 MX (when set up properly as described above). A properly set up PC with a good TV chip can give DVD playback equal to a good standalone player.