PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Slipstreamed Vista SP1

UberRN69
08-26-08, 01:36 PM
I was reading the September issue of MaximumPC on the idea of slipstreaming SP1 into Vista, and then customizing the install using vlite. I thought this sounded like a cool idea, since it had been almost 9 months since I had done a clean install, and I was switching video cards anyway from nvidia to ati.

Anyway... So I went ahead with the slipstreamed clean install and started noticing little quirks right away. There wasn't any show stoppers, but first thing I noticed was a black tearing with the logon screen that would disappear after a second. Also noted were frequent pauses, where the screen would freeze for a few seconds. Also got the 'display driver not responding' frequently. Also file transferes between hard drives appeared to take longer, and when opening up a folder that contained a lot of large files (ie- my download folder) it seem to take Vista almost 10-15 seconds to read the contents of the folder compared to 2-3 seconds normally.

At first I thought it was because I was using an ATI card, and I was starting to get PO'd about it. But then I put my 8800GT in and the odd behavior still continued.

Up until this point, Vista (64-bit BTW) had worked great for me. In fact, I was one of those that thought all those bitching about Vista just didn't know what they were doing. But now I too, was starting to get annoyed with Vista.

Now some of the problems I remember from when Vista first came out, namely the slow file transfers and the black tearing with the log on screen. So I finally went and did another clean install using the unmodified Vista disk and then put SP1 in over it (I then also removed the SP1 backup files). Now everything is back to normal and the ATI card (HD4870) was just fine in my system.

So I thought I would just share the whole slipstreaming idea. My best guess is that SP1 wasn't intended to be slipstreamed like XP. At least I'm back to being a happy Vista user.

nekrosoft13
08-26-08, 01:40 PM
MS did warn people not to slipstream Vista. It will cause issues, there is no way around that.

ViN86
08-26-08, 06:47 PM
why dont you create an image of your pc after you install sp1? then you can re-image the machine when you want a clean SP1 install.

Rakeesh
08-27-08, 01:16 PM
MS did warn people not to slipstream Vista. It will cause issues, there is no way around that.

That doesn't make sense, because the copies sold by MS these days are effectively SP1 slipstreamed.

UberRN69
08-27-08, 01:41 PM
That doesn't make sense, because the copies sold by MS these days are effectively SP1 slipstreamed.

You're right it dosen't make sense. I used VLite to intergrate SP1 and it made no mention of any issues. Plus MaximumPC had it as a feature article. It should have been fine.

I think that when SP1 is installed on top of original Vista it makes corrections to the OS that are not made if you slipsteam it. Verses any DVD-ROM's that have SP1 already included, these fixes are intergrated already.

nekrosoft13
08-27-08, 03:42 PM

they are, but they did that themself, there is no official way to slipstream sp1 for vista.

only by some third party tool

UberRN69
08-27-08, 08:19 PM
they are, but they did that themself, there is no official way to slipstream sp1 for vista.

only by some third party tool

I did use VLite but it still seemed to have problems.

crainger
08-28-08, 01:41 AM
That's nekro's point. The 3rd party tools aren't working that well. MS has yet to release tools and intructions on how to properly slipstream Vista. So for now, probably best not to do it. ::(:

mullet
08-28-08, 09:45 AM
so having the Vista SP1 .exe and clicking it is to time consuming?

SeriousWorm
08-30-08, 09:15 PM
I slipstreamed it because I couldn't install it. First, my boot partition only has 32GB allocated, with only a gig or so free. That's not really so much a problem (I can always free the required ~5gb), but it wouldn't install after a dozen or so attempts - googling for leads, I found that "one" or "some" of my Windows files were corrupted, although Vista (business x64) itself worked perfectly for around 9 months or so. No idea why the system file checker said that files were corrupted, and couldn't repair them - so I did a slipstream, and a clean slipstreamed SP1 install.

It's been around a week since, absolutely zero problems - and it even seems to run and manage RAM (only have 2GBs @ 800MHz, will upgrade soon) noticeably faster. I always have an Apache server with PHP, a MySQL server, and a Tomcat server (with a couple of heavy-duty webapps) running, and usually also have Winamp 5, mIRC, TOR, miranda with a lot of fancy plugins, opera with a lot of tabs, and some other heavy-duty apps running; sometimes I even run a few years old (non-memory-hog) game simultaneously with all this (like Wolf: enemy territory, SFC3, etc); I experience zero swapping and can alt-tab between all apps with zero lag. Oh and although Vista is on C, and programs and games on E, the partitions reside on the same 500GB Samsung SATA drive.

Newer games (ET:Quake Wars, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc) also perform great (8800GTS 640MB), although I usually don't alt-tab with them. :)

I love my VistaX64. And the fact that it's free. No, I didn't pirate it, I'm a student and we get tons of free MS software. :)

crainger
08-30-08, 11:00 PM
so having the Vista SP1 .exe and clicking it is to time consuming?

Ha! You think being German and waiting for UT to load is bad?

Wolfhound
08-31-08, 03:17 AM
I did use VLite but it still seemed to have problems.

Slipstreaming will be supported on SP2, on SP1 is unsupported and can lead to errors on installation, is better to install Vista Vanilla and the install SP1, I prefer this order, Vista Vanilla, drivers, SP1.

crainger
08-31-08, 10:23 PM
I do this order. SP1 Driver. Chocolate Vista. Gets me 20 more 3DMarks.

CaptNKILL
08-31-08, 10:34 PM
Ha! You think being German and waiting for UT to load is bad?

:lol:

ESCAPE!!!!!!