PDA

View Full Version : Epic Multiple Monitor Question

Doyvid
08-27-08, 07:20 AM
Hi peoples,

I'm currently running 3 monitors off of two 8800GTX's, and I want to run a 4th. However, I want the 4th monitor to be displaying the same thing as one of the other monitors. Does anyone know a solution to how I could achieve this?

If you're wondering why I need to do that, I'm using it for foley and ADR (a process of recording sounds in time with a video) sessions. Usually I'd just record all these sounds in the same room as my computer, but my computer's 8 fans make it impossible to record in the same room as it. So, I'd be running a long cable from my 4th video output into another monitor (actuall an LCD TV) in another room more suitable for recording. But, I need to be able to see the video preview on my monitor as well as on the 4th screen.

Any help is appreciated, as windows has gotten me stumped!

Cheers,

Doyvid

rage10
08-27-08, 09:05 AM
try ultra mon Its an app that is far more powerful then te windows monitor program.
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

XDanger
08-27-08, 02:59 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-PC-to-2-MONITORS-Y-SPLITTER-CABLE-FOR-VGA-VIDEO-016_W0QQitemZ320290725618QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41999Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a cheap video sender that is good,This kind of thing http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Audio-Video-Signal-Sender_W0QQitemZ130249576805QQihZ003QQcategoryZ149 958QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Long leads are very expensive no?

Doyvid
08-28-08, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your responses, peoples. I'll probably end up buying one of those VGA splitter cables and a long VGA cable. I need no delay between monitors, so that wireless thing probably won't work...

XDanger
08-28-08, 01:52 PM
I'm not even sure if there is any noticeable latency, How fast does radio travel?

Also I think long vga cables need to be uber quality or the picture is ****ed up
I had a 10 foot one and it was lame.

CaptNKILL
08-28-08, 04:30 PM
If you need any cables or adapters buy them from www.monoprice.com

Huge selection and great prices.

Good quality stuff too.

Bman212121
08-28-08, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your responses, peoples. I'll probably end up buying one of those VGA splitter cables and a long VGA cable. I need no delay between monitors, so that wireless thing probably won't work...

That is the easiest way to do it. The only thing I can tell you from experience is try to use a 50ft or shorter VGA cable. When using a splitter and a 100ft cable you'll get some echo on the closer screen. (basically meaning it will be blurry with shadows around everything)

Doyvid
08-28-08, 08:44 PM
Well, I only need it to run about 5 or 6 metres (so around 20ft for the Imperials here), so hopefully I'll be ok.

Thanks again, guys!

XDanger
08-29-08, 05:30 PM
what about the s-video/av/RCA/composite/ypbpr instead of VGA?

Doyvid
08-31-08, 07:11 AM
I'd rather just stick with VGA, personally. The cable(s) won't cost too much, and it offers a fairly high image quality. Should work fine, I think...