PDA

View Full Version : New GF4 Not Reconised On PC! HELP!!

samuri
05-15-03, 04:03 PM
Firstly the spec of my PC.

Its an early P4 1.4GHz, Intel D850GB motherboard, 640MB RDRAM, 100GB WD100JB and 30GB Fujitsu running Windows XP.

Currently im using a GeForce 2MX 400 64MB with no problems. I recieved a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4800SE 128MB Powerpack! Ultra/750 - 8X XP Golden Sample (phew!) this morning and installed it into the above PC. Powered on, no display, and it beeped which when referenced with the MotherBoard documentaion says 'Video Card Faulty or Not Installed'.

So i reinstalled it but still same thing happened. I then tested it on a P4 2.5GHz, Unknown MSI Motherboard but only 2months old, 1GB DDR ram and it work fine first time.

Anyone know of this problem and if so a workaround or solution?

Ive asked intel and gainward about this but currently no reply.

Many Thanks in advanced.

Gator
05-15-03, 04:15 PM
might be a power supply issue. Maybe you don't have enough juice, what is the wattage on your PSU? If it's less than 300 or so, get yourself an Enermax or Anatec PSU of at least 350watts or more.

And that's a very nice card for that PC setup, so don't lose hope ;)

Starscream
05-15-03, 07:44 PM
Also make sure the card is fully inserted into the agp slot, it's easy to not get it all the way in.

Edit - just noticed I left some words out. :rolleyes:

samuri
05-16-03, 01:53 PM
Ive got a 300w power supply on it. Standard one that came with the case. The other PC i tried it on has a 400W one so looks like it could be that. Goning to swap the PSUs over just to check before i go get a decent one though.

Thanks for the help. I would have never of thought a PSU could be the problem.

samuri
05-19-03, 12:44 PM
Ok. Tried the 400W PSU in my machine and still it wont work.

So its not the power supply. Also the Mobo of the other computer is an MSI 845PE Max 2.

I've checked and rechecked the fitment and its in there well.

Im not accepting its just 'not compatible' with my motherboard.

Thanks to whose that have made suggestions, is there anyone else that has any ideas, suggestions or has used a GF4 with an 850 chipset mobo?

DenverBuc
05-19-03, 04:25 PM
I'm not familiar with that mobo. Is it AGP 4x?

samuri
05-19-03, 07:21 PM
Yep. Specs says its AGP 1.5V 4x and 2x compatible.

The MSI Mobo is 4x maximum too.

jAkUp
05-19-03, 07:47 PM
is there any bios updates that my address this??

samuri
05-20-03, 08:34 AM
I did have the P17 Bios Update which is the last Windows Certified version released on which the card wasnt working.

I then updated it again to P18 which is the last version advailable from Intel for that board and it made no difference.

I may have to just accept defeat.:(

Still waiting to here from Gainward support though.:mad:

samuri
05-25-03, 04:54 PM
Just thought id give another update.

Gainward replied with a return number, so off it goes to Germany to thier european service center.

Still not convinced its a problem with the card but anyway. Im sure they will tell me for sure.

Just like to say thanks for all the help with this.

Many Thanks.:afro:

Grechie
05-27-03, 08:09 AM
damn so u neva fixed the prob? :(

samuri
05-27-03, 02:01 PM
Nope. Never got it to work on my PC.

The retailer just said return it for a refund which i didnt want to do. Intel offered no real help except to say 'make sure the graphics card has been tested with the board'.

And when i sent my problem to gainward they said nothing except giving me a returns number.

Im hoping it is a problem with the card. I dont fancy waiting 4 weeks only to find it still doesnt work.