PDA

View Full Version : Need input on two monitors

CaptnStubing
08-28-08, 12:32 PM
I am in the market for a 24" LCD. Please give me your input on these two monitors. Basically I want to know if the Dell has good picture quality at its price compared to the fully loaded Samsung model at its price. I will just be gaming on this thing so I don't need all the bells and whistles the Samsung has.

Samsung monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275

Dell monitor
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8775783&type=product&id=1204331848176

XDanger
08-29-08, 06:21 PM
DELL!!!!!!!!!
Sale: $289.99...

Personally I'd try to find a Sony GDM-FW900

bacon12
08-29-08, 07:15 PM
Never owned either of those, but I got the gateway below about 6 months back and love it. Hands down the most enjoyed computer component I have ever bought.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8894119&type=product&id=1211587387690

Absolution
08-30-08, 02:35 AM
Both are TN panels . . . but I'd probably go with the dell over samsung just because of the fact dell usually makes quality monitors for the most part (if it was a tv, i'd go with samsung). Plus the stand on that monitor is probably nicer.

CaptNKILL
08-30-08, 03:58 AM
Both are TN panels . . . but I'd probably go with the dell over samsung just because of the fact dell usually makes quality monitors for the most part (if it was a tv, i'd go with samsung). Plus the stand on that monitor is probably nicer.

Just for future reference... what is the "best" type of panel if TNs are generally not that good? What makes them better?

I'm still using a big ass CRT so I haven't read much about this stuff. I'm sure I'll have to get an LCD once this thing dies though.

XDanger
08-30-08, 06:21 AM
$459.99 Samsung vs $289.99 Dell

Same size ,Same 5ms ,Maybe same panel?

saturnotaku
08-30-08, 06:51 AM
Just for future reference... what is the "best" type of panel if TNs are generally not that good? What makes them better?

S-IPS (Super In-Plan Switching) and S-PVA (Super Patterened - ITO Vertical Alignment) panels are better than TN (Twisted Nematic) because they have true 8-bit color depth. That means they can produce a total of 16.7 million colors. TN panels are 6-bit meaning that they can technically only produce about 262,000 colors. Most modern TN panels, though, have employed a couple tricks to coax up to 16.2 million colors, so it's pretty difficult for most consumers to tell the difference. TN panels are much cheaper than S-IPS or S-PVA, and they also have better response times. Their viewing angles, however, aren't as good.

Bottom line: If your budget allows, you probably should invest in an S-IPS or S-PVA panel. The Samsung 245T and Dell E2408 use S-PVA, but they both cost more than $600. Again, unless your eyes are highly tuned or you are a graphic professional, you would be just as well served with a less expensive TN panel.

To CaptnStabbin' I just bought the Dell at Best Buy and am very happy with it. If you don't need anything more than DVI or VGA, I highly recommend the Dell. If you think you'll need HDMI, component, or composite inputs, you'll have to look elsewhere.

CaptnStubing
09-04-08, 06:07 PM
$459.99 Samsung vs $289.99 Dell

Same size ,Same 5ms ,Maybe same panel?

The contrast ratio is the biggest difference.

Samsung Contrast Ratio DC 20000:1(1000:1)

Dell 1000:1 contrast ratio; 400 cd/mē brightness

I saw both of them on display at Best Buy. The Samsung is much more vibrant but both looked the same as far as text clarity.

XDanger
09-04-08, 06:17 PM
But like you said ,Its just for gaming,Its not like your gonna be straining your eyes to see the (edit) DELL
Have you bought one yet?

Q
09-04-08, 06:20 PM
If all you are doing is gaming, pick the cheapest monitor with the fastest response time.

npras42
09-04-08, 06:36 PM
The contrast ratio is the biggest difference.

Samsung Contrast Ratio DC 20000:1(1000:1)

Dell 1000:1 contrast ratio; 400 cd/mē brightness

I saw both of them on display at Best Buy. The Samsung is much more vibrant but both looked the same as far as text clarity.

Those contrast ratios are quite misleading though. The 20000:1 stated by Samsung is basically bull****, the 1000:1 is more what you'd see under normal conditions, 20000:1 is what you'd get if you set dynamic contrast on and I as well as many other people think its a rubbish feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

CaptnStubing
09-05-08, 11:16 AM
But like you said ,Its just for gaming,Its not like your gonna be straining your eyes to see the Samsung.

Have you bought one yet?

Oh trust me I am getting the Dell. The Samsung had a bit more brilliant colors but not enough to justify the price tag.

No I haven't gotten one yet. Just haven't gotten out to the store since last weekend.

XDanger
09-05-08, 05:46 PM
I meant Dell, My error rate this week has been abysmal.

CaptnStubing
09-11-08, 02:58 PM
I meant Dell, My error rate this week has been abysmal.

Got the Dell. Very nice monitor. The colors are a tad bit bland but it is crystal clear. I'm very happy with my purchase.

XDanger
09-11-08, 03:42 PM
Got the Dell. Very nice monitor. The colors are a tad bit bland but it is crystal clear. I'm very happy with my purchase.

So am I , Enjoy :D

ViN86
09-12-08, 07:17 AM
stubing. look behind the monitor. the inputs are typically there.

:bleh:

DaveChambers
09-12-08, 07:56 AM
I've been using the Dell 24" for quite some time now, never had a problem or complain with it. It's been excellent so far, I would definitely recommend it.

CaptnStubing
09-12-08, 09:36 AM
stubing. look behind the monitor. the inputs are typically there.

:bleh:

Huh? I know how to use a monitor. :lol: I'm just saying the colors are not a brilliant as my Samsung that died a few weeks ago. That doesn't mean the monitor is bad. It isn't. It is great. I just noticed a difference between the two monitors.