PDA

View Full Version : Killer NIC....anybody use?

d2thez
08-29-08, 04:07 PM
I am a hardware freak and am always looking at new things that could improve my PC's performance. I am curious about the Killer NIC and all of its promises for low latency network connectivity and increased FPS in games.

Does anybody have personal experience they would like to share?

Monolyth
08-29-08, 04:12 PM
I am a hardware freak and am always looking at new things that could improve my PC's performance. I am curious about the Killer NIC and all of its promises for low latency network connectivity and increased FPS in games.

Waste of money, I tried it and not only did it fail after about 2 weeks it also screwed up my TCP stack in XP. There are some good free networking tweak guides that can help you ensure you are getting the best performance possible, but most of the time you will not affect your latency to servers with the changes and in some cases it will make things worse.

If you were to build a server I would say you should get some discrete NICs, but not for a PC. Plus your network is probably utilizing 3-4% of your Q6600. Don't worry about it. :P

Q
08-29-08, 04:12 PM
I've read about this thing until I was blue in the face. Apparently if you do TONS of competitive, online gaming, this thing will shave a few MS off your times and give you a few extra FPS. Nothing noticeable by most folks.

Also, you can by a high end Intel card for less money with better performance.

einstein_314
08-29-08, 04:45 PM
When I saw that thing, I rofled. Onboard is good enough for me. I can't see a 2 ms lower ping doing anything.

nekrosoft13
08-29-08, 05:29 PM
what Q said, you can buy better NIC for less

duffy_chucky
08-29-08, 06:33 PM

yup. i will share opinion .

change from crappy onboard nic to killer nic (whatever they call it ) will not get any hold on network latency. theoricaly, yes it can, but pratically , the influence of others factor are A LOT more important . like extra LAN routing etc , ISP quality of service then ...

Performance wise, it even worst. it can't improved framerate or whatever. the size of data transiting for our video game can be hold by a palheontological intel 386.

there is 1 thing cool on killer nic . it's native comptatibility with iptables.
you can program killer nic chipset directly , like you do it for linux kernel. but it may be the only good point of this card.

performance is :

CPU
GPU (+gpu driver)
ram
eventually SSD HDD (never tested it personnaly )

duffy_chucky
08-29-08, 06:35 PM
Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4Ghz

you need to change that to higher frequency. exchange it for a new Q9450 and reach 3.2ghz . still 30% brut cpu boost.

8800GTS512 => crossfire HD4850.

Feyy
08-31-08, 06:32 PM
it sucks, only benefits WoW substantially and even then who the **** needs few more fps and lower latency for WoW?

Pointless & waste of money

AngelGraves13
09-03-08, 03:30 AM
it sucks, only benefits WoW substantially and even then who the **** needs few more fps and lower latency for WoW?

Pointless & waste of money

Doesn't help TF2?

dxx
09-03-08, 06:18 AM
It's completely ineffective because, something the marketing forgets to mention, your connection isn't limited by your home LAN. It's limited by your internet connection.

Click run, type 'cmd', hit enter. When you're in there, type IPconfig. This'll give you an address for your Default Gateway.

Next, type "Ping 192.168.1.254", or whatever the numbers it gave you for your default gateway were.

See the time it reports? That's the latency between your system and your router. Mine is reported as <1ms in all four tests. This means less than a thousandth of a second for a packet of data to get from my system to the router, or back.

If this KillerNIC thing does accelerate network performance, it does so by much less than a thousandth of a second.

To put this into comparison, a US fighter pilot needs a reaction time of around 20ms or faster. Us gamers, we're probably sitting around that same sort of level. Off the top of my head, I believe a frame of gameplay at 60fps resides onscreen for 16ms. So, even if there was a 0.5ms improvement with the KillerNIC, it wouldn't be noticable. And since the KillerNIC's power only extends as far as the hardware layer of your own system, you're still limited by the NIC hardware of your router, and the entire infrastructure of the external network. Basically, it's a massive con, and the only people reporting otherwise have been duped by marketing. Or paid by marketing, as appears to be the case.

ViN86
09-03-08, 08:06 AM
one thing i was interested in was the ability to control your own ping (i think it was the killer nic that said it could do this). ie, increase the ping. this could give you an unfair advantage, as everyone else is pinging in the 20's (and youre receiving it that fast) but youre pinging in the 120's (because you set it that way on your outbound).

could be pretty unfair.