PDA

View Full Version : So i want to try Vista again.

K007
08-31-08, 12:07 AM
I picked up a copy of Vista 32bit ultimate oem when i got my 4870. I still haven't switched over yet because i don't have much time..but i think what i will do is have dual boot and try it out first.

Atm i got 32bit OS installed, i do have a partition of 40GB that is doing nothing so i am gonna put the Vista OS in there...

My question is...since i am dual booting...and have xp installed...will it mess up my dual boot? as in my xp will vanish -.-..i hope it wont cause i got soo much **** running atm lol.

Sazar
08-31-08, 12:33 AM
As long as XP was installed as the first OS, you should be fine.

crainger
08-31-08, 01:10 AM
Yeah, XP first then Vista all good. Although you can go Vista then XP, but you'll have to run the Vista repair then all is good.

Sazar
08-31-08, 01:12 AM
Yah, but if Vista is installed first, it'll keep popping up those messages of "OMG, older OS, ABORT ABORT" and stuff.

K007
08-31-08, 07:29 AM
makes sense. Ill try it next weekend.

I got all the drivers for Vista ready to go.

ViN86
08-31-08, 10:52 AM
get 2GB more and go 64-bit. you wont look back.

nekrosoft13
08-31-08, 12:46 PM
what vin said, don't bother with 32bit

ATOJAR
08-31-08, 01:21 PM
As said, go 64bits .... i cant understand why you would want to have xp installed now? .... ive been on vista x64 for over a year, at first there was a couple of issues but they seem to have been taken care of now .... its rock stable.

wollyka
08-31-08, 02:05 PM
you are all good to go
but if u can, go vista x64, better in my opinion

XDanger
08-31-08, 02:22 PM
And be sure not to put anything but OS in the 40gb partition.

Are there any good optimized Vista install guides yet?

K007
08-31-08, 04:16 PM
As said, go 64bits .... i cant understand why you would want to have xp installed now? .... ive been on vista x64 for over a year, at first there was a couple of issues but they seem to have been taken care of now .... its rock stable.

SLI compatibility issues with my 7950GX2.

K007
08-31-08, 04:17 PM
And be sure not to put anything but OS in the 40gb partition.

Are there any good optimized Vista install guides yet?

tweakguides got one.

nekrosoft13
08-31-08, 04:18 PM
SLI compatibility issues with my 7950GX2.

try again

VGA:Gigabyte ATi 4870 512MB GDDR5

ViN86
08-31-08, 05:30 PM
try again

any news about how crossfire works with Vista? crossfire has been increasing since its introduction and i think many dont give it much credit.

tbh, it seems more flexible than SLI. im kind of interested.

saturnotaku
08-31-08, 07:49 PM
any news about how crossfire works with Vista? crossfire has been increasing since its introduction and i think many dont give it much credit.

I built my desktop system originally around an HD3850 CF setup with Vista x64, and it was an absolute nightmare. Half the time when I would boot up my system, the drivers would cry that no second video card was installed, therefore disabling CF. When it did detect both cards, performance was erratic at best. Just as one example, F.E.A.R. would play just fine one time I would fire it up. I would then go away and do something else, only to load the game up again (without rebooting, mind you) and have performance go down the toilet.

I didn't learn my lesson when going with a 9800 GX2 later on. That card was a little better than the CF ones but not by much. I'll only go with single GPUs from now on.

nekrosoft13
09-01-08, 02:21 AM

what saturn said, CF is in no better shape then SLi, at least with SLi the drivers are better, and give you the option to create your own profiles in case a new game arrives. with CF you have to wait month or sometimes more for ati to release a new driver.

until both companies do better job, i would avoid both multi-gpu setups.