PDA

View Full Version : DVI Question

jcrox
08-31-08, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I take a VGA cable and put a DVI adapter on each end as opposed to buying a DVI to DVI cable? I can't imagine it would, anyone know?

Freaking $500+ monitor comes with a $4 VGA to VGA cable :thumbdwn:

saturnotaku
08-31-08, 01:30 PM
I don't think you can do that. You would need to use the DVI -> VGA adapter on your video card. Sucks that your monitor didn't come with a DVI cable. My Dell did. You can buy a DVI cable from the Amazon.com marketplace for less than $10 including shipping.

EciDemon
09-01-08, 08:58 AM
Dont think that would work not as you want it anyways, since analoge signal is separated in the dvi cable and thats the part you convert with the adaptor.

Starscream
09-01-08, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I take a VGA cable and put a DVI adapter on each end as opposed to buying a DVI to DVI cable? I can't imagine it would, anyone know?

Freaking $500+ monitor comes with a $4 VGA to VGA cable :thumbdwn:

Take a close look at the dvi connector on the back of the monitor, you may not be able to actually plug in the VGA adapter.

jcrox
09-01-08, 07:57 PM
Take a close look at the dvi connector on the back of the monitor, you may not be able to actually plug in the VGA adapter.

You are correct, can't do it. There are four extra pins. The monitor has one of these | and the adapter has : | : so it wont work.

It was just going to be stop-gap until I got to a store, which I did today :D

bob saget
09-01-08, 09:26 PM
using the adapter....analog.