PDA

View Full Version : vista disk defrag.....

Pages : [1] 2

Dirthead
08-31-08, 11:59 PM
I think that my is stuck in a loop., Its been running for over 2 and half hours and its not doing nothing. well i do not think it is working. The memory useage as been stuck at 14528K and it does not go up or down.. To me its really acting like its just stuck.

The harddrive is 250GB and i only have 117Gb used space, so does it take this long for defrag to compress open space? or is it stuck in a loop?

mailman2
09-01-08, 12:37 AM
I didnt think the defrag in vista even worked?? I downloaded a third party one. I read somewhere it doesnt do anything anyways.

Wolfhound
09-01-08, 03:00 AM
I open a CMD with admin privileges and execute defrag -v -w c:, and use perfect disk 2008

crainger
09-01-08, 06:53 AM
I've heard reports the Vista defrag is bloody awesome. Then I hear it doesn't work .

I myself take no chances and use Auslogics. For both disk and registry. Makes a very noticeable difference.

Dirthead
09-01-08, 11:25 AM
thanks crainger, these programs have seemed to help.

Whole system seems heck of allot faster

mailman2
09-01-08, 05:24 PM
Perfect disk was the one I was using too. After my reformat I havent defragged at all yet.

blurp
09-01-08, 07:37 PM
Auslogics Disk Defrag (http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download) is free and get the job done quite simply.

SilentMercury
09-02-08, 03:16 PM
I tried the Vista defrag and it never finished either. It would be nice if there was some kind of visual progress indicator, like in XP. Anyway, thanks for the link to Auslogics Defrag.

Digital_Trans
09-02-08, 05:54 PM
Try O&O Defrag! I use it for Vista x64 and it works great for me.

crainger
09-05-08, 08:07 AM
thanks crainger, these programs have seemed to help.

Whole system seems heck of allot faster

No probs. I try to run them both every second Sat morning with I give the PS3 some love. I also play some games on it too.

xbob
09-05-08, 09:41 AM
I think that my is stuck in a loop., Its been running for over 2 and half hours and its not doing nothing. well i do not think it is working. The memory useage as been stuck at 14528K and it does not go up or down.. To me its really acting like its just stuck.

The harddrive is 250GB and i only have 117Gb used space, so does it take this long for defrag to compress open space? or is it stuck in a loop?

Vista defrag works fine if you let it, it does takea few passes to get "smarter" about the contents of your drive and it says right on the defrag dialog box "this may take a few minutes to a few hours", so with 117GB of contents....

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/articles/440717.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2007/01/26/don-t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-why-windows-vista-defrag-is-cool.aspx

john19055
09-05-08, 10:53 AM
I also use Auslogics Disk Defrag and it works fine for me ,I just like haveing something I can see.

grey_1
09-05-08, 11:44 AM
Vista defrag works fine if you let it, it does takea few passes to get "smarter" about the contents of your drive and it says right on the defrag dialog box "this may take a few minutes to a few hours", so with 117GB of contents....

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/articles/440717.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2007/01/26/don-t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-why-windows-vista-defrag-is-cool.aspx

+1

I've used Auslogics since I learned of it, but on this install, about a month old, I let Vista's defragger handle it. I installed Auslogics 2-3 days ago and ran it (150gb) and it returned a 3% increase.

Not much considering a months worth of gaming, installing/uninstalling etc. I'll run it again in a month or so, but I'm not expecting the results to change much.

betterdan
09-05-08, 11:46 AM
I've heard reports the Vista defrag is bloody awesome. Then I hear it doesn't work .

I myself take no chances and use Auslogics. For both disk and registry. Makes a very noticeable difference.

Thanks for the info on Auslogics. I downloaded it and tried it on my wife's laptop and it very damn fast compared to the built in Vista defrag. It's a keeper.

crainger
09-05-08, 09:35 PM
Try the registry defrag. I makes a huge difference for me on Windows Boot times.

shilk
09-06-08, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the Auslogics recommendation! Installed that and the registry defrag, and noticed an improvement. :)

Was using Diskeeper, but it took ages and locked files like mad. For some reason, Diskeeper did that more frequently than any other defrag program I've ever used, and it was annoying as hell.

crainger
09-06-08, 02:22 AM
Yeah I recommended Auslogic to you all! Remember that! If Werewolph comes in here and says different don't believe him. He's a tricky one. ::bleh::

Wolfhound
09-06-08, 03:56 AM
Yes Auslogics registry defrag really improves Vista, regarding disk defrag is a good program, I had seen that in Vista there´s no much difference between perfect disk and Auslogics, I prefer Auslogics on vista due that it doesn´t create new services but perfect Disk creates 2 new services.

iron99
09-06-08, 08:30 PM
Auslogics registry defrag, I just tried this program because of the recommendations in this thread..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Seems to work very well ( OS boots faster ), thank you all :).

Wolfhound
09-07-08, 02:55 AM
Auslogics registry defrag, I just tried this program because of the recommendations in this thread..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Seems to work very well ( OS boots faster ), thank you all :).

You´re welcome, glad to help :thumbsup:

XDanger
09-07-08, 06:02 PM
just used Auslogics registry defrag also, nice.

Can somebody explain to me why a 3rd plarty application is needed to do something Vista should do by itself?

mailman2
09-07-08, 08:00 PM
just used Auslogics registry defrag also, nice.

Can somebody explain to me why a 3rd plarty application is needed to do something Vista should do by itself?

It never finishes. Let it run for 2 days once just to see.

CaptNKILL
09-07-08, 09:57 PM
I just ran a bunch of Auslogics programs to clean up my system, defrag my drives and my registry and it looks like I knocked 3 or 4 seconds off my boot time in Vista x64. Not bad.

I actually just did standard Vista defrag a week or two ago.

WeReWoLf
09-08-08, 04:45 AM
Yeah Werewolph recommendeds Auslogic to you all! Remember that! If I come in here and say different don't believe me. I'm a tricky one. :bleh:

Damn straight i do... One of the best programs i've ever come across in my trial and error days.

crainger
09-08-08, 05:46 PM
AH! Foiled again!