PDA

View Full Version : V-sync won't work in Serious Sam in OGL mode

saumilsingh
09-01-08, 09:57 AM
This is The First Encounter I am talking about.

I tried enabling it ingame. Didn't work.
I tried enabling it from the display drivers. Didn't work.
I tried forcing it with RivaTuner. Didn't work.

I am all out of ideas and I hate playing games without v-sync.
What else can I try? I am running a 7800 GTX with ForceWare 175.16.

V-sync works perfectly in D3D mode. But the game runs substantially slower in D3D, even dropping to 30FPS at many times.
So trying to play in D3D mode is out of the question; I think this game was specially optimized for OGL.

Quick420
09-01-08, 12:45 PM
This is The First Encounter I am talking about.

I tried enabling it ingame. Didn't work.
I tried enabling it from the display drivers. Didn't work.
I tried forcing it with RivaTuner. Didn't work.

I am all out of ideas and I hate playing games without v-sync.
What else can I try? I am running a 7800 GTX with ForceWare 175.16.

V-sync works perfectly in D3D mode. But the game runs substantially slower in D3D, even dropping to 30FPS at many times.
So trying to play in D3D mode is out of the question; I think this game was specially optimized for OGL.

Try nhancer yet? http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=downloads

crainger
09-01-08, 05:48 PM
OpenGL is faster, but not as complete. You'll miss some special effects, hence the reason it runs faster.

saumilsingh
09-01-08, 09:39 PM
Yes I already use nHancer and that didn't work either.

Intel17
09-02-08, 06:53 AM
OpenGL is faster, but not as complete. You'll miss some special effects, hence the reason it runs faster.

I just think the renderer was designed with GL in mind and D3D support was tacked on as an afterthought. There's virtually no difference between OpenGL 1.x and D3D 8 in terms of features.

No game from 2001 should be dipping to 30fps on a 7800GTX.

crainger
09-02-08, 06:02 PM
It's the other way round. D3D is the main render. OpenGL was added as an after thought. In fact for Serious Sam 2 they striped OpenGL from the default options, you have to enable it with tricks.

Intel17
09-02-08, 06:57 PM
Well, Serious Sam 2 is a totally different game with a new engine.

crainger
09-03-08, 12:25 AM
No, they built it off the same engine. Serious Sam III has the new engine, hence the lengthy development.

Intel17
09-03-08, 06:34 AM
Serious Sam: The First Encounter, and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, were both built off of the original, "Serious Engine". Serious Sam II was built off of "Serious Engine II".

:)

saumilsingh
09-04-08, 01:09 PM
The game was definitely built with OGL in mind because that's the mode it uses by default after a fresh install.

I guess I will just have to live without v-sync which would've been heavenly in this game because the framerate rarely dips below 90 even with 8xS AA.

V-sync works in D3D but the framerate is shot to ground in that mode.

crainger
09-04-08, 05:31 PM
On a fresh install mine is using Glide. ::(: