PDA

View Full Version : Is the Geforce FX 5900 w/256mgs worth $499.99???

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fook Me
05-15-03, 11:47 PM
Is it worth it?

jAkUp
05-15-03, 11:58 PM
wow you have made so many of these topics... look... buy it if YOU think its worth it. nobody knows the future of games, and such, how much of an impact the extra 128mb. i personally think the extra 128mb is maybe worth it... but everyone is gonna say a different thing. so, go with what your mind and paybook allow.
depending on your priorities, a $499 video card may or may not be worth it to you.

Fook Me
05-16-03, 12:16 AM
K, now im getting it for sure :) When is it supposed to come out?

Fook Me
05-16-03, 12:19 AM
The reason why I ask is because I wanna be the first ones to get the videocard :) Also, newegg doesnt have em yet, so what are some good sites where I can buy the Geforce FX 5900 when it debuts?

Chalnoth
05-16-03, 12:20 AM
Now that the NV35 has a 256-bit memory interface, it is highly likely that it does the framebuffer downsampling at buffer swap, and not at scanout.

This should eliminate the extra memory requirements of FSAA that other NV3x cards suffer from (resulting in a comparatively high 4x FSAA performance hit at high res). That means that there won't be much benefit from the 256MB version most of the time.

DorXtar
05-16-03, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Fook Me
Is it worth it?

I'd hit it.

Fook Me
05-16-03, 12:46 AM
Where are some of the places I can get it when they first come out? Besides newegg? Because I wanna be on the first people to ged it :)

Anybody know?

digitalwanderer
05-16-03, 01:34 AM
Where are some of the places I can get it when they first come out? Besides newegg? Because I wanna be on the first people to ged it :)

Anybody know?

Uhm......are you serious or are you daft? :eek2:

j/k ;)

To each their own. :)

Behemoth
05-16-03, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by CoWBoY
I will get one although I'm going to hold out and see who offers the best performing. I feel that Inno3D might as they appear to have the best NV30 out of all of them regardless of how the NV30 performed.

So whoever is king of the hill for the NV35 will grace my mean machine...lol. :p

:D
come on, i know you fall in love with nv35, but nv30 plays Doom3 very decently :D

Rampant CL
05-16-03, 02:38 AM
I agree,

Our nv30's run doom fine, so what more do we need??

MrNasty
05-16-03, 03:28 AM
Fine at doom3 but pretty much sub standard to ATI in all other games which don't have nvidia tailor made rendering built in.

Half life 2. Nuff said.

Guess whos using ATi at E3. hehe nvidia has doom3 but ATI has half life 2.

Wow I wonder which one i'd rather have :rolleyes:

bkswaney
05-16-03, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Fine at doom3 but pretty much sub standard to ATI in all other games which don't have nvidia tailor made rendering built in.

Half life 2. Nuff said.

r u kinnding? Nvidia owns the bloody market.
u can bet your @ss HL2 will play great on NV cards.
Just wait and see when it comes out.

So what if ATI has HL2 at E3. ATI also had Doom3 and look who is kicking who's ass in D3. :rolleyes:

StealthHawk
05-16-03, 05:48 AM

Half life 2. Nuff said.

This is one of the most illogical arguments I have seen.

Who was using ATI at E3 last year.....:thinker: Oh yeah, it was Id Software with Doom3! And where are we now?

Behemoth
05-16-03, 06:08 AM

Half life 2. Nuff said.

except the ati AA i am still a bit jealous of, i am just extremely satisfied about every aspects of my 5800 performance, just like my old geforce 3 and geforce 1, and i am glad i did choose nvidia again after i have seen the nvidia doom3 show. :D

marqmajere
05-16-03, 06:20 AM
I'll buy the 256 meg version just to have that extra something should I ever need it. I don't want to have to kick myself later on down the road and say "You know....If I had bought that 256 meg card instead of this 128 meg flavor, I could play with ALL the eye candy cranked instead of some of the sweet, sweet candy. Oh well.". You get the idea. :D

nVidi0t
05-16-03, 06:37 AM
Just so everyone knows, Half Life 2 is being run on an ATI card at E3, so I doubt it;s going to run on our GF FX's at all! :(

Oh noes.

Behemoth
05-16-03, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Just so everyone knows, Half Life 2 is being run on an ATI card at E3, so I doubt it;s going to run on our GF FX's at all! :(

Oh noes.
and nvidia will have its own HL2 show after that, just like Doom3 :p

Sazar
05-16-03, 07:52 AM
It is to me, anything is better than ATi coming out with 5 cards that all remain in the same perfromance area... that is more B.S. than Nvidia with the NV30. :mad:

9700Pro/9700ProAIW/9800Pro/9800ProAIW/9800Pro 256MB

thats rather nutty coming from u m8 :)

especially sticking the AIW's in there for good measure :)

9700/9700pro/9800/9800pro/9800pro 256 == 5800/5800ultra/5900/5900ultra/5900ultra 256...

the AIW series is a completely different cup of tea though the performance is on par... :)

gordon151
05-16-03, 09:53 AM
I thought having the 4200 embarassing the 5600 Ultra and below in an exceedingly large amount of scenarios was a somewhat similar thing. Especially since the 4200 is pretty much at or below in some instances the Geforce FX 5200 price point.

Placid
05-16-03, 10:16 AM

Anybody know?

Best thing is to check pricewatch and search for fx5900 every few day's.

Usually ebgames.com is or was one of the first places to get the new nvidia cards.

I don't think the card will be available until mid-late june.

UDawg
05-16-03, 11:47 AM
I don't know about you guys but I am going to make my move in the fall. My system will be built around HL2 and TFC2. :D Can't wait. Of course I will have a whole new rig.

Sazar
05-16-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
I don't know about you guys but I am going to make my move in the fall. My system will be built around HL2 and TFC2. :D Can't wait. Of course I will have a whole new rig.

I move to a new setup for the most part around summer next year :)

my viddy card and cpu should chug along till then... and I can save up money for grad school as well :D

UDawg
05-16-03, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
I move to a new setup for the most part around summer next year :)

my viddy card and cpu should chug along till then... and I can save up money for grad school as well :D

Man I am sooo glad I am done with school....and the money uhhh! :( I feel your pain :D ;)

Ill have a water cooled rig in a couple of weeks or when ever I get off my duff and go buy it. I'll get that now then the vid card memory and CPU next fall. It's gonna roxors.

I am not sure if it is worth it. :confused:

Sazar
05-16-03, 12:03 PM
I asked a question of you Sazar,

can you answer or do you just not care to comment or do you need someone else to get the ball rolling before you feel up to comment? :angel2:

what is there to answer ?

as the tech moves up or changes are made... atis model number moves up and still tries to remain truthful to the performance... I cannot vouch for the accuracy of some of the numbers.. it is their business model... I am not privy as to why they do this...

IMO I think the 9600pro rating is a little exagerated when comparing it to the 9500pro's performance but @ the same time it is an excellent product and DOES exceed the performance of the 9500pro in a few respects...

your argument about the r300/350 setup is rather odd considering there is about the same increase in performance from nv30/35 and yet I see no mention of anything based on this fact...

also.. to consider the 9700pro and the 9700pro AIW as one and the same is ludircous IMO...

note what my response was... it was in response to your posting of these cards...

9700Pro/9700ProAIW/9800Pro/9800ProAIW/9800Pro 256MB

your response to my reply takes other products into consideration and broadens the scope of the discussion in terms of ati products... but yet it makes no mention of disparities such as gf4mx - gf3 ti series of cards...

Sazar
05-16-03, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Man I am sooo glad I am done with school....and the money uhhh! :( I feel your pain :D ;)

Ill have a water cooled rig in a couple of weeks or when ever I get off my duff and go buy it. I'll get that now then the vid card memory and CPU next fall. It's gonna roxors.

yah I am definitely considering watercooling for my next rig... it appears to be safer now than it has ever been and it certainly will look kewl...

/me plans to have little fishies swimming in the water reservoir... with grilles of course to protect the little numbnuts... :D