PDA

View Full Version : IP35-PRO FAILURE

Pages : [1] 2

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 09:22 PM
I think my mobo's shot. Out of the blue, it automatically shuts down on boot. It starts, begins to activate BIOS, then posts the shutdown 9.8 then 9.9 codes. Moments later it will restart and do the same thing... over and over.

Already tried clearing CMOS to no effect, booting with 1 ram stick, booting w/o GPU power, reconnecting 12-pin cord to mobo, unplugging hdd's, etc. If I boot with the CMOS is reset mode, it will idle, leaving me to think that it is not a PSU problem.

Will try google some more and the abit forums, but any advice is welcome.

Oh the huge manatee. :(

bob saget
09-03-08, 09:42 PM
holy crap dude, i thought you were kidding. wow.

:headexplode::headexplode:

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 09:45 PM
The Abit forum guys thinks its a PSU meltdown, but I have trouble believing that a PC Power and Cooling Silencer is dead in only 6 months. I guess it's possible, but WTF.

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 09:54 PM
Sounds like the motherboard has failed. I seriously doubt the PSU is to blame.

Yeah. :headexplode:

bob saget
09-03-08, 09:58 PM
do you have any way of testing the PSU? maybe take to some random guy's house, break in, and test it out....

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 10:05 PM
No way to test either the mobo or the PSU. This problem has happened to people with enermax and corsair PSUs. Some people are blaming the IP35 Abits in general. No solution in sight, some people's have come back to life.

Tr1cK
09-03-08, 10:16 PM
That sucks. It's almost impossible to find quality in components these days no matter the brand.

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 10:25 PM
Look what I got on PAGE 1 of my google search for my postcode failure. :headexplode::headexplode::headexplode:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/methimpikehoses/abitfail.jpg?t=1220495040

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 10:42 PM
Wow, I got it working by taking out my GPU, clearing CMOS, and putting it back in. (nana2)

This mobo must be glitchy or the BIOS or something.

I will sacrifice a marine biologist to the PC gods tonight in thanks!!!

bacon12
09-03-08, 11:15 PM
Stupid Abit, I have a nforce 5 amd board that I have rma'ed 3 times and it still won't post. Tried four types of ram and two different cpu's.

Won't have to worry about their crap anymore though.

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 11:18 PM
Well mine quit again. I put it all back together after a successful boot and it just crapped out.

Trying a CMOS clear again. This is very frustrating.

DeusGear
09-03-08, 11:29 PM
Could be a dead battery

methimpikehoses
09-03-08, 11:38 PM
Could be a dead battery

You mean on the mobo? I tried taking it out and re-seating it but nada. The mobo does power on and all. And it has the digital display for cmos purposes.

Rummy
09-03-08, 11:56 PM
That really sucks man I hope you get it worked out. Maybe go by fry's and buy another board and see if it's the psu if not u can return it. Although you live in Eugene now, it's a little far:thumbdwn:

methimpikehoses
09-04-08, 12:12 AM
Disconnected all but the CPU. I get a boot. But when I put it all back, I bet it's going to be teh fail.

Rummy
09-04-08, 12:54 AM
Disconnected all but the CPU. I get a boot. But when I put it all back, I bet it's going to be teh fail.

Does it run out of the case?

methimpikehoses
09-04-08, 01:00 AM
I haven't tried it yet. I have it all in pieces now and I'll try one more time before the mobo comes out of the case. Then I'll try a build outside of the case.

If the PSU has gone bad, will it still power up the fans and the CPU? Or does a bad PSU simply completely stop working?

Also I wonder if something got jostled in the move. It was a few weeks ago but who knows. I reseated the CPU cooler, unplugged everything from the mobo, and will try again tomorrow.

bob saget
09-04-08, 02:40 AM
:(

EciDemon
09-04-08, 02:54 AM
You sure it's not the Psu?
I saw very odd behaviour when my psu went bad a few years ago.
Things just didnt work when everything was connected, puter worked when I dissconected stuff such as extra hdds and such.

CaptNKILL
09-04-08, 03:54 AM
I haven't tried it yet. I have it all in pieces now and I'll try one more time before the mobo comes out of the case. Then I'll try a build outside of the case.

If the PSU has gone bad, will it still power up the fans and the CPU? Or does a bad PSU simply completely stop working?

Also I wonder if something got jostled in the move. It was a few weeks ago but who knows. I reseated the CPU cooler, unplugged everything from the mobo, and will try again tomorrow.

Its actually less common for a PSU to die completely than it is for it to remain unstable for a very long time.

If you have any cheap crappy video card to toss in that system you should be able to test it out with any 300W+ PSU you might have laying around or in another PC. If you take out the video card, take out the PSU, and swap memory sticks and still get instability then it is almost guaranteed to be the motherboard (CPUs very very rarely fail).

methimpikehoses
09-04-08, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately I cleaned out all my older parts when I moved...

hmm.

methimpikehoses
09-05-08, 04:02 AM
Stripped it down to bare bones and reassembled, seems to be working at stock speeds.

Still getting some weird BIOS hangs on restarts and cold boots.

EciDemon
09-05-08, 04:58 AM
PSUs also degrade over time, the older they are the less power they deliver, I think that was case for me a few years back as the psu was not completley dead it just could not sustain all the hardware I had that it once could.

Heat is also an issue, the hotter the psu is, the less power it delivers (it's called degrading curve) Higher quallity PSUs has less of a problem with this.

It's hard to find the true culprit in such a case as this. Best thing would be to test mobo with a friends PSU to rule out the PSU.

Tr1cK
09-05-08, 07:28 AM
Stripped it down to bare bones and reassembled, seems to be working at stock speeds.

Still getting some weird BIOS hangs on restarts and cold boots.

Sounds like the board is dying. RMA it.

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 12:23 PM
Sounds like the board is dying. RMA it.

I agree.

You could always try flashing a new bios but be prepared to brick your computer if it doesn't work.