PDA

View Full Version : My (late) review of Call of Juarez.

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 01:54 AM
I got this game dirt cheap on ebay a couple weeks ago. I got the DVD version of CoJ and Jade Empire Special Edition for $13 shipped, brand new and sealed.

I played the CoJ demo and it seemed ok, but I just beat the full game and I'm very impressed! There were a few frustrating areas (especially early on) but overall this is one of the most enjoyable first person shooters I've ever played. The plot, and script were very solid and the voice acting was surprisingly good, especially the Reverend. These are things that are very rarely done so well in a first person shooter.

The graphics were fantastic as well. The DX10 mode was way too slow for me to play, so I settled for DX9 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed and no AA. I'll definitely play through this again some day in DX10 with a better system. Sound was overall very good, though there were some odd ambient sounds that seemed totally out of place. The gun sounds were realistic yet interesting too, which is also rare.

The combat is where the game really shines though. I played the game for several hours two days in a row, start to finish and never once got tired of head-shotting enemies with arrows in slow motion, blasting people up close with shotguns, quick firing guns with both mouse buttons or peaking out from a corner in slow motion and taking out 4 people with carefully timed shots. Completely satisfying and a HELL of a lot of fun. Great hit detection and realistic rag dolls just made it even better.

It isn't perfect by any means. There are some frustrating parts that require a lot of repetition and quick saving and there are some strange quirks with physics and controls that make things feel a little sloppy. I also disliked the lack of continuity between levels (weapons I'm carrying, placement of enemies etc.) and the unexpected level changes.

I was extremely impressed with how original the gameplay is though. Its really hard to predict exactly what is going to happen in this game. Some times you can tell when a guy is going to pop out at you, but from one scene to the next you never really know what is in store in the next area. You might be chasing a stage coach on horse back, roaming a massive wilderness area to hunt rabbits, sneaking through houses, mowing people down with a Gatling gun, having a one-on-one fist fight or a western style duel...

There is a LOT to this game. I highly recommend it if you haven't played it yet. Toward the end I got this feeling that I used to get when playing a really fresh and well rounded game and I just got a big grin on my face. Its probably been more than 5 years since I got that feeling from a game. :)

I'd give it a solid 8.5. It felt like a 6 for the first couple levels, but that all changed as I got more interested in the story and the quality of the levels actually IMPROVED toward the end. That is almost unheard of these days with games being rushed out the door to meet deadlines.

nutcrackr
09-05-08, 02:08 AM
I played it recently, but I played through in Dx10 mode (lower res ftw) and I also enjoyed it. I heard they changed some of the gameplay in dx10, removed some stealthy bits etc. The gun play was pretty good for the reverend, and the bow/arrow was good for tommy.

Graphically it did really well for how it ran I thought.

glObalist
09-05-08, 02:08 AM
Word. This for me is pretty much the only good game that's come out of this part of Europe in a loooooong time. STALKER and WITCHER devs should learn from Techland.

I wish there was a sequel.

NarcissistZero
09-05-08, 02:09 AM
There are sections of CoJ I would put up against almost any FPS... awesome stuff. Then there are sections that are almost flat-out bad.

I think it's a great shooter for the most part, though.

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 02:15 AM
One thing I found to be a little odd was the part where you have to get the eagle feather.

Climbing that enormous mountain was pretty annoying and time consuming, but once you got to the top you could literally just JUMP off and land in 6 inches of water without getting hurt, bypassing the entire trip back down and skipping a few scripted events. I didn't try it to see if it broke the game, but it was rather strange considering how easily the characters die from short falls at any other point in the game. That mountain was probably 200 feet tall. :lol:

I did jump down to the water from about 50 feet though because I was sick of rope swinging and quick saving. :p

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 02:20 AM
Has anyone played Techland's earlier game Chrome? I see that Gamespot gave CoJ a 7.0 and gave Chrome a 7.2. Its from 2003 so it doesn't look like much, but the gameplay sounds cool and the high points they described in the review sound a lot like the ones that made CoJ so good.

XxDeadlyxX
09-05-08, 02:22 AM
Has anyone played Techland's earlier game Chrome? I see that Gamespot gave CoJ a 7.0 and gave Chrome a 7.2. Its from 2003 so it doesn't look like much, but the gameplay sounds cool and the high points they described in the review sound a lot like the ones that made CoJ so good.

Chrome is Okay for what it is... but CoJ is a lot better IMO.

Vanzagar
09-05-08, 02:49 AM
pics?

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 03:03 AM
pics?

I'm sure there are hundreds of them floating around these forums. The game has been out for quite a while.

EDIT: Should be plenty in this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93005

evox
09-05-08, 03:09 AM
CoJ was awesome. Can't wait to play Dead Island. :D

omzig
09-05-08, 04:08 AM
Great review there CaptNKILL id have to pretty much agree with everything you posted!

I havent gotten around to replaying it in DX10 mode since going vista a while back(i ran the benchmark a few times and the DX10 gfx update looked a lot cooler) but reading about the changes in gameplay and GFX updates i think i'll give it another spin & see how the 4870 does

Cheers
Gizmo

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 04:27 AM
I'm not sure about any changes in gameplay honestly. I think the US version of the game probably made changes (it was released almost a year after the European version), but enabling DirectX 10 itself shouldn't have any effect on the gameplay.

Noriega
09-05-08, 05:04 AM
I bought Call of Juarez in Magazine for 3$ last week ; d

NaitoSan
09-05-08, 05:49 AM
First editon of CoJ was released and got ok reviews then Techland released huge DX10 patch, not just to add DX10, they removed fair amount of stealth missions which caused a lot of frustration for most people also most of that are boring. With new, updated CoJ, it's a lot better as well improved the animation ALOT and they act and look more realistic. My brother has original CoJ (import) and man, the animations' pretty bad and some missions' pretty boring/annoying.

If the updated CoJ were being reviewed, it'll probably get better reviews.

nekrosoft13
09-05-08, 06:40 AM
Chrome really is not that good of a game; Techland was just starting out with their Chrome engine. Overall graphics in Chrome (game) make it a bit hard enemies blend in background sometimes you can't see who is shooting at you.

Right now Techland is working on 3 shooters all based on new editions of Chrome engine.

First up will be Warhound, a FPS mercenaries game, from what I seen so far, not really not excited so far.

Second will be Dead Island, a FPS Action Survivor Horror game with zombies, this should be a blast ;)

Third game will be Chrome 2, so far looks good.

crainger
09-05-08, 07:57 AM
I liked Chrome. Had Duke Nukem in it. I never played the spin off Chrome: Spec Force though.

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 11:03 AM
First editon of CoJ was released and got ok reviews then Techland released huge DX10 patch, not just to add DX10, they removed fair amount of stealth missions which caused a lot of frustration for most people also most of that are boring. With new, updated CoJ, it's a lot better as well improved the animation ALOT and they act and look more realistic. My brother has original CoJ (import) and man, the animations' pretty bad and some missions' pretty boring/annoying.

If the updated CoJ were being reviewed, it'll probably get better reviews.

Was the player-model animation left over from the original version? I was noticing how terrible that was based on my own shadow in a lot of scenes.

Really, with the quality of the rest of the game I was surprised just how bad the player model moved. It looked like they only made his feet move when he walked and they had his arms stick out like a robot. :lol:

It looked even more ridiculous when you were swinging from a tree and the model was no different than if you were standing.

LT.Schaffer
09-05-08, 11:15 AM
One thing I found to be a little odd was the part where you have to get the eagle feather.

Climbing that enormous mountain was pretty annoying and time consuming, but once you got to the top you could literally just JUMP off and land in 6 inches of water without getting hurt, bypassing the entire trip back down and skipping a few scripted events. I didn't try it to see if it broke the game, but it was rather strange considering how easily the characters die from short falls at any other point in the game. That mountain was probably 200 feet tall. :lol:

I did jump down to the water from about 50 feet though because I was sick of rope swinging and quick saving. :p

That's the part i thought was great because you emerge from the woods and see the huge rock in the water:)[that was a great WOW moment for me:D]

jcossin
09-05-08, 11:21 AM
I agree on Call of Juarez with the DX10 patch. I'd give it a solid 8.5 rating!

I picked up the game awhile ago and played without the DX10 patch and ended up dropping it. I picked it up again recently to try out the DX10 patch, and couldn't believe how much they had changed in the game in terms of reworking the missions. WAY better gameplay now and much more enjoyable. Of course the graphics are top notch now as well!

I just love firing off that bow and arrow in 'bullet-time' mode. Seeing the slow motion animations of the bad guys taking arrows in different parts of the body and reacting differently depending on where they are hit is incredible.

Of course having just moved to Arizona recently, I'm also enjoying the old west theme!

I hope they have an expansion pack for this game coming out.

GitDat
09-05-08, 03:31 PM
I still can't play this game and have my "like butta" 60 fps minimum :( High shadows drops me down into the 40's.. just can't have that :)

MaXThReAT
09-05-08, 03:47 PM
I also just started playing through again since I got my 280. DX10 is finally playable. I would list it as one of the most underrated games alongside TimeShift. I agree with everything CaptN said. At a few points I thought the game was going to end only to find there was allot more to go and it was even better than then the prev levels. I also agree about the dang climbing part, that Mt was huge and hard to climb. Best wild west game ever.

CaptNKILL
09-05-08, 04:03 PM
I liked the hunting rabbits part. I wish they would have had more little quests out in all that wilderness. It looked amazing and was very atmospheric.

BTW, this game engine is pretty impressive IMO. When you compare the huge outdoor areas in this game to the ones in Oblivion for example, even in DX9 mode this game looks better and runs significantly faster. Plus, this game actually has shadows...

XxDeadlyxX
09-05-08, 06:57 PM
Yeh I'd give CoJ DX10 8.5/10 too, that slow motion bow & arrow was just awesome :D

Did make the game a bit easy though, but so much fun :captnkill:

HiCZoK4
09-06-08, 03:51 AM
Just played 360 demo and it seems to looks quite better than pc version and plays a little smoothly. Offcourse if you can deal with fps+gamepad.
Lately I like almost every game better on 360 than pc becouse I got 360 and have to say I am very impressed with it, Been pc player like for 10years but console feels like simpley. Just sit and play.

As for CoJ. Passed it on pc and it was really cool. Firs really good western game since Outlaws.

crainger
09-06-08, 07:02 AM
PC version has much better graphics in DX10 mode, and in DX9 mode plays much smoother than 360 version. PC version is better all round HisCok.