PDA

View Full Version : Best motherboard for SLI?

jcossin
09-05-08, 11:09 AM
I have a friend who is hell-bent on trying out SLI even though I've warned him of the incompatibility fun I've experience first hand.

As I haven't really been paying attention to SLI mobos, which is the best bang for the buck SLI mobo?

Absolution
09-05-08, 11:12 AM
Best bang for the buck? Probably whatever is the new 630i (probaly 730i) or maybe 750i. Provide sli for about $130 last time I checked.

However, I wouldn't touch another 630 or its derivative again. In fact, I'm done with nVidia boards (though the high end stuff isn't all that bad, except for stability always sucks right away and they are too expensive).

Uhh, maybe look for the x58 chipset when its out.

DaveChambers
09-12-08, 07:47 AM
The ASUS P5N-D seems to be pretty hot right now, and can be had for about $135. The main complaints I hear of it are that when running SLI, things can get a little cramped on the board and possibly block a PCI slot if the cards are big enough. Heres a pic:

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-232-05.jpg

FastRedPonyCar
09-12-08, 12:59 PM
is he not willing to jump to the ATI cards? If so, he could get a nice P/X35 chipset board for a decent price and toss in a couple of ATI 4870's.

It's either that or wait for what will surely be astronomically high priced X58's.

Lfctony
09-12-08, 01:47 PM
2 points to note on the P5N-D. One is the two cards will be very close together, which will probably starve the top card for air. And secondly when in SLI, the board works 8x/8x which will not impact performance but it might matter to you. I'd stay away from the MSI P7N SLI Platinum(not mentioned in the thread but...), had bad luck with it. Couldn't get it to work above 1200FSB and get it SLI stable, which might not matter to you if you don't intend to overclock.

I'm very happy so far with my new eVGA 780i. Hopefully it won't disappoint me...

Tony.