PDA

View Full Version : help me with mosfet cooling

Tr1cK
09-05-08, 03:59 PM
I got my motherboard back from RMA and before I slap some of these heat sinks (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=197&products_id=23308)on it, I want to know where. The package came with 10 sinks and there are 8 on the cpu voltage regulator circuit. I plan to cover all of them.

Location of other mosfets on board:
1 between the cpu mosfets and the northbridge
2 near northbridge
3 near RAM slots
1 near southbridge

I really should have bought another pack of these, and will do so later. But for the mean time, where should I put the other 2? I'm thinking northbridge or near RAM.
Pic attached below with red dots showing mosfet locations. I'm thinking of putting them on the 2 just south-west of the northbridge.

BCKator
09-07-08, 09:35 PM
So you have 7 FETs left uncovered and only 2 heatsinks remaining?
You could see which ones get hottest, but that will probably be a function of what is being used at the time. If you are really going to be getting more heatsinks, I say put them on the hardest to reach FETs now(assuming you haven't already put everything together yet).

Tr1cK
09-08-08, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys.

I put them on the hardest to reach ones and the main ones to regulate the CPU power. I've let the system run for a while and can definitely feel how hot the ones for the CPU get. It almost felt as though I would burn my finger! No wonder the last board fried one. The rest of them that I didn't put sinks on seemed cool enough that I'll probably leave it alone.