PDA

View Full Version : FPS dropdown with 9600GT

Devilish
09-07-08, 09:05 AM
Every time I start a game it runs smoothly for 2 mins and then framerate drops pretty much for about 30-40 seconds. This goes repeatedly.

I updated drivers but its still the same.

I have read that 9600 needs at least 400W power supply and I have only 350W. Could this be the problem? Or its just something running in background. I turned off every application and I think I cleaned my comp of viruses and spywares..actually I didn't have any.

Wolken007
09-07-08, 11:34 AM
I would get a new PSU. If the card is not receiving enough power, it will not function as it is supposed to. What else are you running in the system?

Quick420
09-07-08, 11:55 AM
Or take the 9600 out and head for the dustbin........lawls. Seriously lacking in power that one.Now on to the main course:p Cognac for the win;)

CaptNKILL
09-07-08, 03:09 PM
Or take the 9600 out and head for the dustbin........lawls. Seriously lacking in power that one.Now on to the main course:p Cognac for the win;)

Eh? The Geforce 9600GT, not the Radeon 9600.

The 9600GT isn't much slower than the 8800GT in most games.

I don't think I'd run it on a 350W power supply though. That's cutting it pretty close and the card is probably down-clocking at some point when the system is drawing too much power from the PSU.

Also, what are your full specs, what is the brand of the PSU and has it been doing this since you put 9600 in?

Devilish
09-07-08, 08:40 PM
I have Pentium D 920, 1 GB ram, one hard drive and one dvd drive. My friend also has 350W and he successfully runs GF 8800..

PSU brand is Blueberry.

Ill try to borrow better PSU to test it.

CaptNKILL
09-07-08, 11:59 PM
Oh, wow. Yeah I think that system just isn't strong enough in general. 1Gb of memory isn't enough to sufficiently run any recent games and it'd explain why things slow down after a few seconds since that is when things are being cached. A 2.8Ghz P4 is also going to severely bottleneck your system. The PSU may be an issue still, since each brand is different and I've never heard of Blueberry.

What games are you having problems with and what OS are you using?

The Geforce 9600GT is really a pretty good card and it'd benefit greatly from a system upgrade. You could probably do a pretty decent CPU\mobo\ram\PSU upgrade for around $200-$250. If a full system upgrade isn't an option, I recommend at least getting another gig of ram and maybe upgrading that PSU.

Also, what is the make and model of your motherboard? It may support a better CPU since its Socket 775. Low end Pentium Dual Core chips are dirt cheap and they're basically the same as a Core 2 Duo.

CaptNKILL
09-08-08, 12:27 AM
If you are interested in an upgrade, these parts would give you a really nice system for around $245:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5Ghz (a core 2 with less cache)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

ASrock Intel P43 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157130

2Gb Kingston DDR2-800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488

And for a PSU, the quality depends how much you want to spend. There is a pretty wide price range from the cheapest to the best brands. This Apevia 500W should be fine for how cheap it is though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027

If you have some kind of strange HP\Dell case that won't fit a standard power supply you can find a cheap case+PSU for around the same price.

I promise that for $245 these parts would give you a significant improvement in any game you play.

Your problem is almost certainly hardware related and your system is definitely at the end of its life as a gaming machine. You should really consider upgrading if you can spare the cash. :)

Devilish
09-08-08, 06:21 AM
I don't think it is memory issue because the same thing happens when I play counter strike 1.6 and Flatout Ultimate Carnage :) I have memory problems with Call of Duty 4 and Crysis for example. And still it is just at the begining of game or level.

First thing ill try is to change psu and see what will happen. I'll get more memory soon too. I'm running wndws XP and I have Asus P5LD2 SE motherboard which supports core 2 duo procc..

thx very much for advice