PDA

View Full Version : Edited Australian Fallout 3 now the global version

Unstable_Hero
09-09-08, 09:43 PM
Bethesda has decided that the Australian Edition of Fallout 3, the now infamous edited version of Fallout 3 that was created to cater for the Australian Classifications Boards willingness to ignore the fact that discerning adults play video games, will now be shipping world wide, replacing all other versions.

Source (http://www.gamerchip.com/fallout-3-edited-version-now-the-only-version/)

CaptNKILL
09-09-08, 09:47 PM
Wait, is this it???

He continued, “An issue was raised concerning references to real world, proscribed drugs in the game, and we subsequently removed those references and replaced them with fictional names. To avoid confusion among people in different territories, we decided to make those substitutions in all versions of the game, in all territories.”

:wtf:

Who the hell cares? The original fallout games used fictional drug names as well...

I'm surprised that they're actually including drugs considering how bad people want to censor games these days. If this is the only change then this is being blown WAY out of proportion.

EDIT: There is a discussion about this on the official forums and it sounds like they're just changing the name of morphine to something else.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=877740&st=20

Fuku2
09-09-08, 11:45 PM
Wait, is this it???

:wtf:

Who the hell cares? The original fallout games used fictional drug names as well...

I'm surprised that they're actually including drugs considering how bad people want to censor games these days. If this is the only change then this is being blown WAY out of proportion.

EDIT: There is a discussion about this on the official forums and it sounds like they're just changing the name of morphine to something else.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=877740&st=20

Yeah, 'Lesphine'

Destroy
09-10-08, 12:27 AM
Max Payne had to use a fake drug name too if I remember right.

Unstable_Hero
09-10-08, 12:39 AM
Fallout 3 was originally refused classification by the Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification, citing among other reason the in-game use of "Morphine" in order to ignore limb pain.

C'mon what are these people thinking? Is changing the name going to make any difference at all? And why do we in other nations have to put up with this nonsense? This is the gorest game since soldier of fortune, and there worried about morphine lol Thats ironic.

Its more consolized dumbed down gaming for the lowest common denominator.

crainger
09-10-08, 12:45 AM
LOLwot?!

Perhaps the OFLC was right one this one. ::wtf::

sillyeagle
09-10-08, 01:23 AM
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Anybody want my PC? How about my book collection?

crainger
09-10-08, 01:30 AM
Yes. Please ship to me via FedEx.

NarcissistZero
09-10-08, 01:33 AM
Its more consolized dumbed down gaming for the lowest common denominator.

Oh, come on now... Games are getting more and more popular, thus games get more and more media attention... it has nothing to do with consoles, for God's sake.

Anyway, at the end of the day changing drug names ranks pretty low on my care-o-meter. What he says makes sense, calling the drug something in the US, and something else in AU, will just lead to confusion down the road in future games or whatever. Drugs in the Fallout universe had pretend names anyway, as said... GTA3 had "spank"... I don't remember anyone caring.

Unstable_Hero
09-10-08, 02:17 AM
Oh, come on now... Games are getting more and more popular, thus games get more and more media attention... it has nothing to do with consoles, for God's sake.

Anyway, at the end of the day changing drug names ranks pretty low on my care-o-meter. What he says makes sense, calling the drug something in the US, and something else in AU, will just lead to confusion down the road in future games or whatever. Drugs in the Fallout universe had pretend names anyway, as said... GTA3 had "spank"... I don't remember anyone caring.

Ok I can see you guys don't care, but whats been done here is a small governing body in australia has decided for the world what should or should not be in our video games. I believe this time it's the trivial naming of drugs, its just the beginning, we know there's a constant battle going on over censorship and freedom of speech/expression, and this is a battle lost.

nutcrackr
09-10-08, 02:31 AM
Just goes to show how much pull Australian gamers have :o

I know crainger has lots of pulls.

CaptNKILL
09-10-08, 03:00 AM
Ok I can see you guys don't care, but whats been done here is a small governing body in australia has decided for the world what should or should not be in our video games. I believe this time it's the trivial naming of drugs, its just the beginning, we know there's a constant battle going on over censorship and freedom of speech/expression, and this is a battle lost.

I think you're blowing it out of proportion.

It was probably a case of Australian censors saying "We don't like that you're telling people how to use morphine in a video game, and we aren't going to let you sell the game here if you leave it that way."

So bethesda changed it because it made no difference what so ever in the game itself and they obviously want Australia's business. They made it world wide because, again it makes no difference at all in the game. By not having any special censored versions of the game out there, they make things easier on their customers and distributors.

The Witcher is a good example because so many people in the US ordered the uncensored version from non US sites. That had to really screw with the sales numbers in different countries, not to mention it was more hassle or more wait for the customers.

I really doubt you're going to see all gore or profanity cut out of games world wide because of this.

crainger
09-10-08, 03:23 AM
Just goes to show how much pull Australian gamers have :o

I know crainger has lots of pulls.

Ha! You know it!

EciDemon
09-10-08, 04:07 AM
The drug renaming thing is very minor compared to all the other molestations Bethesda has done to the Fallout game :banghead: . It's just too simalar to oblivion and too far away from what I view fallout games to be.

Even so Ill still buy it, fallout fan as I am.

Q
09-10-08, 05:59 AM
Ha! You know it!

Just a reminder - this is ALL YOUR FAULT.

And I'm serious this time. It really is ALL YOUR FAULT.

nekrosoft13
09-10-08, 06:17 AM
The drug renaming thing is very minor compared to all the other molestations Bethesda has done to the Fallout game :banghead: . It's just too simalar to oblivion and too far away from what view fallout games to be.

Even so Ill still buy it, fallout fan as I am.

if you truelly are fallout fan, you shouldn't buy it

|MaguS|
09-10-08, 07:38 AM

:rolleyes:

Sgt_Pitt
09-10-08, 08:18 AM
Well, this again leads to the issue of aussies not having a proper game rating system.

I think it will come eventually however.

As far as the drug renaming, meh care factor 0. Lots of kids will be playing it regardless of the games ratings, so it's a reasonable change.

EciDemon
09-10-08, 09:51 AM

Thats the problem, i dont think i can help my self this time :(

Dont get me wrong tho, i used to like oblivion as I spent a total of more then 140+ hours on my main save. But enugh is enugh ;)

NarcissistZero
09-10-08, 11:17 AM

This was a voluntary change. This was a minor change.

I'm as anti-censorship as anyone... I go on long rants about how much I hate censorship. This is not a huge deal... It certainly speaks to the need for AU to have a ratings system, and it is censorship in AU.

Here in the US it is not censorship, it is a voluntary change because the people at Bethesda said "who cares?" And I agree with them.

nekrosoft13
09-10-08, 11:19 AM
i don't care about the change, if you really care remember with PC version there will be modding. just change the name back to original.

sillyeagle
09-11-08, 02:04 PM
Yes. Please ship to me via FedEx.

You beetle-headed, flap-eared, knave!

Badboy_12345
09-12-08, 01:32 AM
I was going to scream and yell but the change is nothing to care about :p