PDA

View Full Version : AMD Duron vs. Intel Celeron

Kain
05-16-03, 04:12 PM
Which processor is better for gaming?

And no, I won't be getting one, I was just curious. :)

anxdiety
05-17-03, 04:07 AM
With things like the ultra overclockable 1700+ and 2100+ cpu's being soo damned cheap you mean to tell us people actually stop and think of buying a meant to be budget chip?????

ragejg
05-17-03, 09:27 AM
yeah, well... seems that celly's tend to get lower 3dmarks per cpu speed than durons... and IMO, a duron in a kt133a chipset feels quicker than ANY celly/sdram combo...

duron's pencil tricked runnin @ 1.3-1.6 ghz aren't so bad... at all! esp. w/ a ddr mobo... If you can get one for a good deal, then.... :)

Riptide
05-17-03, 09:41 AM
I agree. With the low prices the Northwood and Athlon XP are at right now (especially the 2.4/2.2ghz P4) why bother with the celeron or duron? What a waste. I think those chips are meant for chimps... errr suckers. ;)

Dazz
05-18-03, 04:13 AM
If hes on about a skt 470 Celeron then VIOD AT ALL COSTS!!

dnoyeB
05-19-03, 10:14 AM
Well this is how it has always historically been. Simply the older chips become the low end. Never in history has a company released a NEW product in this type of marked as a LOW end product. That only works in markets where the product dies after so long, like the auto industry.

So Duron and Celeron is really a dead horse, and they should just quit trying to make them profitable. Especially AMD since they have kept the same socket for so long. I guess thats why Intel liked to change sockets so frequently.

No point in ever buying a Duron again, and especially if you are talking about gaming, since gaming is one of the most taxing things you can do with your computer.

Gator
05-19-03, 11:00 AM
I think Celeron is being phased out because if you look on Dell's site they used to offer Celeron and P4, and before that Celeron and PIII, etc. But now Celeron is becoming less and less seen, as is the Duron on other sites. Furthermore I dont think they are making any new speeds in the Duron or Celeron variety. If you ask me which is better because you can get one for free, I'd probably say Duron. But ask me which one to BUY I'd say neither.

The far more superior AthlonXP 1700 can be had for as little as $43us these days according to http://www.pricewatch.com

Dazz
05-19-03, 03:12 PM
It is said Duron is making a come back in the form of Paris with the name of Duron 64 (256k) along with Athlon 64 (1MB) The Pentium 4 Celeron is expected in increase speed to 3GHz by years end, however the P4 Celeron is Pathetically slow.
The diffrence between the Duron and Athlon was little if using the same speed FSB. However the diffrence between a P4 Celeron and a true P4 is massive.