PDA

View Full Version : Crysis SLI Microstuttering

Kemo
09-11-08, 07:51 AM
I use an 8800gtx SLI setup. the forceware 177.92 drivers. I use XP 32bit. these drivers have raised my framerates even in SLI. Crysis is the only game i have experienced microstutter, even with these new drivers. When i have FSAA set to 2x, crysis runs about 45-60fps. When i raise the FSAA to 4x, the framerate starts to stutter as if Nomad is skipping along the jungle. I also see stuttering when i use the DX10 config regardless of what the FSAA is set to. theres a setting called D3D9_Triplebuffering that i would turn on in the console but it has no effect. I know this stuttering is the multi-gpu microstuttering i see all over the internet because fraps is telling me (for example) 55fps but i am not seeing a consistant frame sequence.

BTW. In CoD4, i get smooth frames when walking around but the i move the mouse to look around seems like it is skipping. Latest drivers for the mouse and even set the rez to 2000dpi. its a logitech G5 laser mouse.

JimBobb
09-11-08, 10:26 AM
http://www.tommti-systems.de/main-dateien/misc/sliharmonizer.rar

Please use this FPS Limiter. Crysis runs with 30fps VerySmooth

CaptNKILL
09-12-08, 04:50 AM
30fps is not smooth. :bleh:

Revs
09-12-08, 05:29 AM
Kemo, your stuttering may well be caused by not having enough RAM. I had the same problem. Using AA makes the problem far worse, too. An upgrade to 4Gb will sorted it out :).

Kemo
09-12-08, 07:30 AM
i can certainly tell the difference between lack of memory stutter and micro-stutter from SLI.
I used to play FEAR with the textures on max (more memory) with 1GB of RAM and a 256MB 7800 GT so it stuttered from the pagefile swap.

30fps is smooth if you're watching a movie. But after playing Crysis for the first time with these drivers at 50-60fps, 30fps isn't smooth.

Lfctony
09-12-08, 07:34 AM
Another thing (I don't know if its SLI or Crysis DX10) is that the game suffered from mouse lag while I was testing it yesterday. This was in the Alien craft and the frame rate was above 60, around 70-80. Yet I felt the mouse was lagging. Does anyone know a fix?

JimBobb
09-12-08, 09:56 AM
30fps is not smooth. :bleh:

Smoother than 50fps with SLi...

Kemo
09-12-08, 11:48 AM
Another thing (I don't know if its SLI or Crysis DX10) is that the game suffered from mouse lag while I was testing it yesterday. This was in the Alien craft and the frame rate was above 60, around 70-80. Yet I felt the mouse was lagging. Does anyone know a fix?

i get the same thing with Call of Duty 4 with the mouse lag and the framerate being above 60fps.

Misfire
09-13-08, 02:37 AM

Vsync off if it isn't already and try turning off acceleration

Lfctony
09-13-08, 03:05 AM
Vsync was already off. Frame rate was through the roof as I said, but the game still lagged...

Lfctony
09-13-08, 05:33 AM
Did you try to set the "render frames ahead" option to 0?
That helped with mouse lag previously...

I will, thanks...

JoKeR800
09-14-08, 10:35 AM
*****I have fixed the problem!!!!*****

Go into the game and enable vsync AS WELL AS mouse smoothing but disable triple buffering as that will cause mouse lag. The microstuttering is so small and synced that you really won't notice it. This may work with other games as well such as COD4 but I do know the problem with COD4 is that it is a driver problem (with 117.92 not 177.41). Please give me feedback on your results and forward this to other forums please. Thank you!!

Kemo
09-15-08, 07:32 AM
Whether or not Vsync is on or off the stuttering or frame-skipping still occurs when i set anti-aliasing to 4x. Triplebuffering is disabled by default in Crysis and i have yet to see it in CoD4's console commands. Like i said though, when i set AA to 2x, my framerate smooths out and syncs perfectly. As for CoD4 and the mouse stutter, i have noticed that it happens on some maps not others in multiplayer. I say again that this is not an issue of mouse latency.

JoKeR800
09-15-08, 11:44 AM
What size monitor are you using? with a 22 inch monitor running crysis maxed out WITHOUT FSAA/AF, the game requires around 550 megs of video memory. I'm not sure how much video memory is required with 4x antialiasing but if you are running a 24 inch or higher, it's very likely you exceeded the amount of video memory needed. With my monitor, I only need to use 2x antialiasing and it looks great so you might want to give that a try. I was playing COD4 on the 177.41 drivers and the game was running good till I started using 177.92 which caused it to skip when using the mouse. I have not used the mouse smoothing on COD4 to see whether that may be the problem. You can always try a different driver and I would suggest going to evga's website to download 177.83 and see how that works out. Also, make sure you use driver sweeper from guru3d.com to fully clean the display driver out.

Kemo
09-15-08, 04:18 PM
I do use FSAA 2x for crysis because it runs fine on that. as for cod4 and the mouse stutter, going to a different driver might be out of the question only because the drivers im using now yield the best performance ive seen with crysis to date.

JoKeR800
09-15-08, 06:07 PM
Are you still using 177.92? I was using that and there is a noticeable increase in performance. What OS are you using? I'm using vista 64 and there is big difference in performance. Crysis loads the levels much faster and plays better. I'ts a 15% increase in performance for Crysis. Vanilla vista 64 without SP1 runs faster than XP 32 SP3. If you are not getting any stuttering with one card with 4x FSAA then the SLI issue may just be driver related. One card may render a frame in 5ms and the other in 3ms thus creating the stuttering so the driver could be the cause for that. Since there is a lot more competition from ATI/NVIDA, the drivers for nVIDIA may be better down the road hopefully.

JoKeR800
09-15-08, 07:23 PM
The new 15.23 nforce chipset driver is out. Give that a try and see if that will fix the problem.

JoKeR800
09-15-08, 11:03 PM
I just played crysis on Vista 64 with settings maxed out running on 260's SLI with 4xFSAA and it's running great without stuttering so it must be video memory issue.

Kemo
09-21-08, 11:56 PM
i just played crysis using the DX10 config in XP, when i have AA disabled it runs smooth, if i turn it on to a minimum of 2x, it stutters, and the framerate reports 30fps, but it feels like 15fps.