PDA

View Full Version : DSL modem of choice?

The Baron
05-16-03, 05:23 PM
Well, I'm moving, and I have to use the crappy DSL service where I'm moving to. Not only is it $60 a month for 384/128, it's bring-your-own-modem. Argh.

So... I need a modem that works with these settings. (http://www.citcom.net/dsl/dsl.html)

Anybody have any ideas?

bkswaney
05-16-03, 10:07 PM
Dang I get 1.5meg down and 256 up for 50 where I live.
You are paying a lot for a little bandwidth. :eek:

Tactics
05-20-03, 07:04 AM
Baron the Zyxel 645M is nice. I install DSL for Sprint.

We're are not using PPPoE or PPPoA any longer. Well in a sense we are but with the new 645M and 645R's the modem includes a PPPoE shim and a limited DHCP server built into the device. The PPPoE shim performs the authentication functions during connections -- so no longer needed is the WinPoet PPPoE client software to be installed. The user name and password is configured into the modem.

So in all yes this modem will work for you. BTW PPPoE will work with all OS's not like what Citcom mentioned in that link.

UDawg
05-25-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Well, I'm moving, and I have to use the crappy DSL service where I'm moving to. Not only is it $60 a month for 384/128, it's bring-your-own-modem. Argh.

So... I need a modem that works with these settings. (http://www.citcom.net/dsl/dsl.html)

Anybody have any ideas?

Ya I am with bkswaney :eek: I pay $49 a month for 1.5mb and 256k up stream, just like bkswaney. I know a lot of people don't like Earthlink but the bandwidth for the price you can't beat. I have never had one problem with them...except it took a month to install. :rolleyes:

The Baron
05-25-03, 05:19 PM
Problem is that Brevard is out in the middle of Nowheresville, and until a government-subsidized huge pipe gets put in (which apparently is coming soon, thank God), the DSL is ultra-expensive.

And I bought a USR DSL modem.. I use wireless, and I didn't really want to find out if two routers can work side by side.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

The Baron
06-02-03, 02:20 PM
Driveby post.

DSL ****ing sucks. Two days, still doesn't work. About to call tech support, but now that they've switched it to PPPoE (was PPPoA, that didn't work at all, PPPoE still doesn't), the laptop that has an Ether card and working USB ports isn't available. And this laptop has neither (don't ask).

Gargh. I hate you, DSL. I want my cable back...

nVidi0t
06-02-03, 04:47 PM
Alcatel Modems are good :)

(My one at least)

The Baron
06-03-03, 04:54 PM
DSL fun. Day 3.

So, the stuff arrived today, and that included the monitor for my desktop so I could actually try it on a box that I knew was good in every possible way (software worked, hardware worked, etc.). Plugged it in via Ether, and the modem is detected, but it still doesn't see any sort of DSL connection. Ether mysteriously stops working (I flibbled the settings), so I plugged it in USB (IT WAS A TEST! PLEASE! PUT THE POINTY STICKS DOWN!) and then it was detected again. Still, no dice.

So, I called up the place's tech support. "Turn off your computer for two minutes." "I tried it on three different computers and four different phonejacks. I am not turning my computer off for two minutes. I know it is not my computer." "Uhhhh... to be honest, we don't really do DSL support here. You need to call the place's customer service." "So then why are you tech support?" *click* "Citcom Customer Service." "Yeah, I called yesterday, had my DSL switched from PPPoA to PPPoE, and it STILL does not work at all." "Did you see your VPI and VCI connections correctly?" "Yeah." "Who made your modem?" "US Robotics." "Is the software installed correctly?" "It's not a software problem. The modem itself does not see any sort of DSL connection."

Here, we have a BOFH *blink* moment. Ah, BOFH. Anyway, I digress.

"OK, sir, I'm going to have my supervisor call you in a bit. Can I get a phone number?"

*two hours later, I called back the place because I hadn't heard anything*

"Yeah, I called earlier and was told the supervisor was going to call me. It's twenty minutes before you close. Is he actually going to call me, or is this just a way to get me to shut up?" "Uh, I've decided to transfer you over to telephone repair. We'll send somebody over tomorrow morning with a modem to see if it's your modem and to run tests on your line." "Argh, okay, fine."

So that was DSL Day Three. Maybe I'll be able to post on DSL Partial Day Four as of 10AM tomorrow.

Hah. Fat chance.

Riptide
06-03-03, 05:48 PM
Ouch. Sounds like you're in troubleshooting hell now. Why can't it just fricking work damnit???

The Baron
06-05-03, 01:48 PM
Day 4 and 5.

First, there's a problem with the line.

Then, my modem is fubar.

I go to a place in town, buy a Zoom modem, plug it in, VOILA. Here I am. :D