PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a MMORPG - How is EQ2 these days

Pages : [1] 2

saguy
09-12-08, 04:29 AM
I was wondering how EQ2 was doing as I have not played it for awhile. The last MMO I played full time was LOTRO which I enjoyed but left as I am not one to keep playing the same game with alts.

I lasted 5 days with AoC and for the last couple weeks have been checking out Tabula Rasa which is better than expected but feels too much like a single player game. I have not even grouped once in it. I am in the WAR beta and am still undecided as to whether I actually like the game, even though I stupidly pre-ordered it from D2D so I am stuck with it. Also this is the only game that runs poorly on my PC which is bizarre considering the level of graphics.

Tr1cK
09-12-08, 06:46 AM
I can't believe you didn't say AoC ran the worst and said WAR instead. WAR ran a bit better than LOTRO on my machine. AoC ran like **** and I haven't played EQ2 in 2 years, but would say it will probably run about like LOTRO.

Tabula Rasa is hands down the worst game on the list. It's buggy, imbalanced, and very shallow. If I remember right, the engine sucks to the point where you can't run AA and the nice lighting option at the same time too.

nekrosoft13
09-12-08, 07:00 AM
i'm no big MMO player, but Tr1cK is right. Tabula Rasa is probably the worst MMO i played.

saguy
09-12-08, 09:20 AM
I can't believe you didn't say AoC ran the worst and said WAR instead. WAR ran a bit better than LOTRO on my machine. AoC ran like **** and I haven't played EQ2 in 2 years, but would say it will probably run about like LOTRO.

Tabula Rasa is hands down the worst game on the list. It's buggy, imbalanced, and very shallow. If I remember right, the engine sucks to the point where you can't run AA and the nice lighting option at the same time too.I am not going to continue with Tabula Rasa. I wanted to check the game out for myself and to be and from what I had heard I was expecting worse. I am looking for some depth in a game so that's why I am curious about EQ2 again. I will check their forums over the weekend to see how healthy the community is.

I did not bother mentioning the performance of AoC because I did not expect it to run well anyway. I was expecting WAR to fly along due to the primitive graphics. I have been following a thread on another forum where players have reported issues with poor performance which may be related to VRAM on some setups. Apparently in the next patch there are going to be a few more settings for the amount of memory that you can allocate to VRAM.

CaptnStubing
09-12-08, 09:39 AM
i'm no big MMO player, but Tr1cK is right. Tabula Rasa is probably the worst MMO i played.

Vanguard

/thread

saguy
09-12-08, 10:36 AM
Ello ello captn, I see you have given up on AoC. Sorry, but I have to say this 'what took you so long?' So what's up with you and MMO's at the moment.

Tr1cK
09-12-08, 12:36 PM
I am not going to continue with Tabula Rasa. I wanted to check the game out for myself and to be and from what I had heard I was expecting worse. I am looking for some depth in a game so that's why I am curious about EQ2 again. I will check their forums over the weekend to see how healthy the community is.

I did not bother mentioning the performance of AoC because I did not expect it to run well anyway. I was expecting WAR to fly along due to the primitive graphics. I have been following a thread on another forum where players have reported issues with poor performance which may be related to VRAM on some setups. Apparently in the next patch there are going to be a few more settings for the amount of memory that you can allocate to VRAM.

They have already included that in the latest open beta.

|MaguS|
09-12-08, 12:48 PM
Vanguard

/thread

I actually heard that Vanguards has been improving alot lately with a new newbie starting area and new models coming soon aswell.

Im gonna give it a try again if they ever offer me a free month again...

CaptnStubing
09-12-08, 02:33 PM
Ello ello captn, I see you have given up on AoC. Sorry, but I have to say this 'what took you so long?' So what's up with you and MMO's at the moment.

I played AoC for three months and had a blast. The fun ran out though. I think I got my monies worth for the 3 months I played it.

I'm playing WoW again. I only PVP and run around the world looking for fights. :D I have really scaled back on the playing tho. I'm kinda bored with gaming in general right now. It will change when Fable II and Fallout 3 come out.

I actually heard that Vanguards has been improving alot lately with a new newbie starting area and new models coming soon aswell.

Im gonna give it a try again if they ever offer me a free month again...
It's just to late for me and most people.

saguy
09-12-08, 03:09 PM
I played AoC for three months and had a blast. The fun ran out though. I think I got my monies worth for the 3 months I played it.

I'm playing WoW again. I only PVP and run around the world looking for fights. :D I have really scaled back on the playing tho. I'm kinda bored with gaming in general right now. It will change when Fable II and Fallout 3 come out.I tend to play MMO's for that period of time and soon as excitement goes I'm out of there. I am also looking forward to Fable and Fallout. I still would not mind a new fresh faced MMORPG that is in a different setting or something.

Tr1cK
09-12-08, 03:42 PM
I tend to play MMO's for that period of time and soon as excitement goes I'm out of there. I am also looking forward to Fable and Fallout. I still would not mind a new fresh faced MMORPG that is in a different setting or something.

Wait for Huxley, it looks pretty cool.

Gorion
09-12-08, 05:45 PM
I just came back to EQ2 today. I'm hoping to be able to get back into it. I've been out for a couple of years so it'll be interesting to see the changes.

Looking forward to seeing Neriak for the first time. I have seen that city since my first toon on EQ. I can't wait.

saguy
09-12-08, 06:44 PM
I just came back to EQ2 today. I'm hoping to be able to get back into it. I've been out for a couple of years so it'll be interesting to see the changes.

Looking forward to seeing Neriak for the first time. I have seen that city since my first toon on EQ. I can't wait.How is the population ... enough people to play with? Are you going to roll a new toon.

Sgt_Pitt
09-12-08, 10:19 PM
EQ2 is still the king of MMO's anyone who says otherwise needs a punch in the head. :)

I've played them all, and EQ2 comes out on top everytime.

Theres no other word besides "Magic"

Gorion
09-14-08, 09:36 AM
How is the population ... enough people to play with? Are you going to roll a new toon.

I rolled new toons. :)

So far I am having a good time with it. The graphics are nice there are tons of quests and the first 10 levels breeze by.

Neriak is definately my favorite starting city. I didn't like Kelethin in EQ :p and not too crazy about it now. It looks really cool and I may go back to it, but for now I'm running around Neriak. The big draw for Kelethin for me is I would like to see crushbone and Unrest in EQ2.

I'm a little nostalgic.

I've noticed more people on the standard servers than on the PVP servers. But I've run into newbies everywhere. Can't comment on the higher level numbers yet.

So far so good.

CybrSage
09-14-08, 11:05 AM
Out of all the WAR races, I actually enjoy Greenskins the best, which surprised me.

The players in the Greenskins seem to work together naturally. The parties with them have been the best so far.

I tried out Vanguard again...it cost $20 for the game, so I thought Why Not?

Bored me after 2 months. Glitchy graphics too, I would crash anytime I was in a valley surrounded by tall mountains. Pathetic.

Gorion
09-24-08, 12:04 AM
So saguy did you go back to EQ2?

jeffmd
09-24-08, 12:24 PM
EQ2 is still the king of MMO's anyone who says otherwise needs a punch in the head. :)

Gosh what have I been doing all these years..me and so many millions playing crappy wow when we could be playing eq2!

To give you an idea of how much fail eq2 is, it came out before WoW, which means it got subjected to the herd of eq maniacs scrambling to find a new and better mmorpg, and still lost out to WoW on its release.

Saguy, tried guild wars yet? It appears they've got all 3 games plus the expansion in one package now.

Gorion
09-24-08, 01:37 PM
So because more people went to WoW that makes it better? Or does it just make it easier? I have a much better time playing EQ2 than WoW.

jeffmd
09-24-08, 06:12 PM
gorion, obviously more people are having a much better time in WoW. So yes..that does make it better.. maybe it is easier.. but said people are still playing progressive content in it so it can't be all to easy. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel about eq2.. I'm just saying blanket statements without clearly backing them up with any type of facts... ney.

Gorion
09-24-08, 07:36 PM
gorion, obviously more people are having a much better time in WoW. So yes..that does make it better.. maybe it is easier.. but said people are still playing progressive content in it so it can't be all to easy. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel about eq2.. I'm just saying blanket statements without clearly backing them up with any type of facts... ney.

For this to be true you would have to have some kind of numbers that show people tried EQ2 and WoW and chose WoW because they were having more fun.

Just because there are more people on WoW doesn't make it better just more popular. There are probably more people playing Sims 2, does that make it a better game? Hardly.

There could be plenty of people who play WoW because that is what their friends play. Or because it has a larger subsciber base so people make the same incorrect assumption you just made.

Graphically it is inferior. From my perspective it got boring quickly. I understand my opinion means jack but I was looking forward to WoW and was disappointed. I've tried going back an dcouldn't get into it.

EQ2 had a lot of issues when it came out and I didn't stick with it for long either. But there have been a truckload of changes and since I have been back I have found it to be a much more fun game. I also have much better hardware than I did when it first came out so graphically it looks a lot better to me now as well.

BronzeGod
09-24-08, 07:48 PM
People only play WoW because it doesn't require much to play it. It has to be the most boring game i have EVER played. Guild Wars has more excitement than WoW.

As for EQ2 vs. WoW. EQ2 > WoW in fun, gameplay, content, storyline, graphics and sound.

jeffmd
09-24-08, 09:15 PM
If wow didnt require so much to play, it wouldnt be so damn hard to recruit for T6 content when people in your guild get burned out and stop playing.

Anyone who says WoW is 'ezmode' hasnt set foot in bt.

BronzeGod
09-24-08, 09:26 PM
If wow didnt require so much to play, it wouldnt be so damn hard to recruit for T6 content when people in your guild get burned out and stop playing.

Anyone who says WoW is 'ezmode' hasnt set foot in bt.

I'm talking about system requirements. It's more popular because people can actually run it on lower spec machines

lognoronon
09-25-08, 01:50 AM
EQ1 is still far better than WOW or EQ2 for raiding. Now that game provides a challenge. Really enjoying the encounters in MMM.