PDA

View Full Version : Vista Business?

Marvel_us
09-12-08, 11:41 PM
So is it worth upgrading from xp? Since I'm a CpE major I can get a free download copy from Microsoft of Vista business 32/64bit version. The ultimate version isn't available.

Should I go for the upgrade or just stick with XP? Haven't been keeping up with latest on Vista so I'm not sure if there are still compatibility issues. I've heard its really minor now though.

JasonPC
09-13-08, 12:02 AM
I think you really need to try it out somehow before you make that choice. If you don't like something or you find something you run is incompatible with Vista, you may end up really missing XP.

crainger
09-13-08, 02:07 AM
Make a backup and give it a go. It's free and honestly Vista Business is the best version to avoid things you may not need like Media Centre. ::D:

XP_GUN
09-13-08, 02:08 AM
I use Vista I like Vista, running Vista Business on my laptop works just like Ultimate without the media player junk. But yeah since its free you cant go wrong. The only think that I would recommend is that you get 4GB of Ram on your system.

crainger
09-13-08, 02:13 AM
Yap. 4Gb and 64bit. Vista is a great OS once you get it setup. It's pretty smart and learns what you are always wanting to open and get into quickly. Plus the little things like the bread crumb address bars make all the difference. It will actually start off slowish the first few days, but does become a lot quicker.

K007
09-13-08, 02:52 AM
mm free os...

crainger
09-13-08, 03:05 AM
Don't be tempted to : (lee63) : K007.

I mean : (lee) : K007

Marvel_us
09-13-08, 08:55 AM
Yea, I've been reading that 4gb is the sweet spot for vista. I will try it out today after I back up the info I have on my main drive. Shouldn't be too much since I use a second drive to store my large files like music, vids, school info etc. 2gb more of RAM is pretty cheap now so I'll pick one up.

Now I'm not sure if the version I have is 64bit or not. I'm assuming since it doesn't specify both are in the same iso? Only one way to find out I guess. :)

ViN86
09-13-08, 04:05 PM
So is it worth upgrading from xp? Since I'm a CpE major I can get a free download copy from Microsoft of Vista business 32/64bit version. The ultimate version isn't available.

Should I go for the upgrade or just stick with XP? Haven't been keeping up with latest on Vista so I'm not sure if there are still compatibility issues. I've heard its really minor now though.

upgrade.

if you cant run a certain program on vista, run Microsoft Virtual PC and install XP on a virtual machine. after you install virtual machine additions, it will run close to as fast as it did natively.

if you need programs for graphical design in XP, then you dont want to upgrade. VM's are generally slower with 3D apps (though it's getting better).

Marvel_us
09-13-08, 04:20 PM
Okay so I'm using vista now. Only thing is the version I have is the 32bit version. Is there anyway to get a 64bit from MS without buying the whole thing again or should I just keep the 32bit version?

JasonPC
09-13-08, 04:29 PM
You have to order a 64-bit disk from them. I think there should be a slip in the packaging about ordering the disk assuming it's retail packaging. It's like $10 or so I think. But there is no 32-bit -> 64-bit upgrade. 64-bit requires a brand new fresh installation (which is ironic that the upgrade version lets you do that, but it's the only way).

Marvel_us
09-13-08, 04:33 PM
You have to order a 64-bit disk from them. I think there should be a slip in the packaging about ordering the disk assuming it's retail packaging. It's like $10 or so I think. But there is no 32-bit -> 64-bit upgrade. 64-bit requires a brand new fresh installation (which is ironic that the upgrade version lets you do that, but it's the only way).

Yea I know you can't upgrade from 32-64bit with a simple download. The version I have was downloaded from MS so I don't have retail packaging. I'm trying to search for something on their website but I'm not finding anything.

EDIT: Found the link I was looking for http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Marvel_us
09-13-08, 04:49 PM
Gah! Entered my key and it says No offer found which I'm guessing means my copy isn't eligible for a disc. :(

EDIT: I'm such an ass. All I had to do was look at the drop down menu of available software and I would've seen that they have a 64bit version of Vista Business for download. w00t! Downloading now!