PDA

View Full Version : Wired vs Wireless

tornadog
09-15-08, 04:44 PM
I am currently connected by wire to my Linksys router. I was thinking of moving my cablemodem and router to the attic and use wireless on all my devices. But when I connected a netgear G USB adapter my speeds went from 8mbps to 4mbps. Is that standard? Is there anyway I can get my full bandwidth from wireless?

einstein_314
09-15-08, 06:00 PM
8mbps? That seems really low to start with.....

Wireless G is 54mbps (max) so you must be getting a poor signal. So the router is in the attic....is that right above you? Or above a different room? I can use my laptop anywhere in my house (about 1500 sq ft) and I don't connect at anything less than 48 mbps (wirelessG as well). My router is located in the center of the house so the farthest away I get is maybe 50 ft with 3 walls to go through.

Are there any metal ducts or other metal things in your attic that may be interfering? If I stand on the opposite side of the furnace my signal strength plummets.

And you were only getting 8 mbps before you put it in the attic? If so....that seems okay. You're loosing a bit of performance because it's now in the attic and has to go through the ceiling.

Drolfrawd
09-15-08, 06:35 PM
wire a small lan and use an access point for wireless close to your proximity

Bman212121
09-15-08, 07:24 PM
8mbps? That seems really low to start with.....

Wireless G is 54mbps (max) so you must be getting a poor signal. So the router is in the attic....is that right above you? Or above a different room? I can use my laptop anywhere in my house (about 1500 sq ft) and I don't connect at anything less than 48 mbps (wirelessG as well). My router is located in the center of the house so the farthest away I get is maybe 50 ft with 3 walls to go through.

Are there any metal ducts or other metal things in your attic that may be interfering? If I stand on the opposite side of the furnace my signal strength plummets.

And you were only getting 8 mbps before you put it in the attic? If so....that seems okay. You're loosing a bit of performance because it's now in the attic and has to go through the ceiling.

I'm pretty sure he meant an internet speed test at 8mbps. ;) Also, it doesn't sound like he's moved anything yet.

@op: How old is the pc you plugged the usb wireless device into? It's possible it's only communicating at usb 1.1 and slowing everything down. Also, do you have all security disabled right now? WEP can slow down a connection by as much as 50% from overhead, so it could cause some slowdowns.

Also, do you play any games on that pc? If you do I wouldn't move it at all because wireless is the worst thing you can do regardless of what game it is. I really am not a big fan of using wireless anyway so if you already have it setup to where you can be wired I would leave it as is.

Runningman
09-17-08, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant an internet speed test at 8mbps. ;) Also, it doesn't sound like he's moved anything yet.

@op: How old is the pc you plugged the usb wireless device into? It's possible it's only communicating at usb 1.1 and slowing everything down. Also, do you have all security disabled right now? WEP can slow down a connection by as much as 50% from overhead, so it could cause some slowdowns.

Also, do you play any games on that pc? If you do I wouldn't move it at all because wireless is the worst thing you can do regardless of what game it is. I really am not a big fan of using wireless anyway so if you already have it setup to where you can be wired I would leave it as is.

Oh, i cant comment about this thread, after all its not about Verizon.:headexplode:

Bearclaw
09-17-08, 03:05 PM
Wow, I don't even get close to 4mbps. I get about 600kbps. :/

bacon12
09-17-08, 03:19 PM
Me too, and I am so jealous of you guys with your insane speeds.

tornadog
09-18-08, 06:17 PM
Ok fixed the issue. I removed the Trendnet wireless USB adapter and replaced with a Netgear wireless pci adapter. And speeds are back to rocking. Speakeasy's speedtest gave me 10MBps but I have been seeing Usenet downloads fluctuating between 7-10 MBps. I moved everything to the attic to the center of my house and speeds are still consistent.

JasonPC
09-20-08, 10:20 PM
Was that because it was using USB 1.1 or did the USB device just suck?

BronzeGod
09-20-08, 10:33 PM
Run wireless N for your home network. 300mbs up and down

tornadog
09-21-08, 05:49 PM
Was that because it was using USB 1.1 or did the USB device just suck?

Strange; it was a usb 2.0 device but each time I would connect it would warn me that it was connected to a 1.1 port and it can work faster when connected to a hispeed port. But I connected other devices and I didnt get any warning. I guess the device was crap!!!