PDA

View Full Version : "Winload.exe"

DRen72
09-15-08, 05:52 PM
For a few weeks I had been experiencing a slower than usual boot (about 115 seconds) and could not figure it out. Virus scans came up clean, no spyware, malware, etc. I defragged multiple times with both the Vista defragger and Diskeeper 2008. Nothing fixed it.

The other day Vista decided not to boot and came up with an error about Winload.exe being corrupted and to insert my Vista DVD to allow Windows to repair the file. So I did.

After it restored the Winload.exe file and booted, I immediately noticed that my boot time was back down to about 50 seconds which is where it used to be months ago. So...what happened? I could not find any correlation online to this file and boot times.

nekrosoft13
09-15-08, 05:59 PM
try running full scandisk with sector check

CaptNKILL
09-15-08, 06:00 PM
Its possible that whatever process caused it to be corrupt was the thing that was slowing down your boot time.

DRen72
09-15-08, 06:58 PM
try running full scandisk with sector checkDid that...nothing bad was found.

Its possible that whatever process caused it to be corrupt was the thing that was slowing down your boot time. True, but I sure wish I knew what it was.

jcrox
09-15-08, 07:14 PM
Check your bios to see if it is recognizing your second hard drive. This problem is often caused by a strange glitch where Windows will recognize a second drive but for some reason your bios doesn't see it.

DRen72
09-17-08, 10:20 PM
Check your bios to see if it is recognizing your second hard drive. This problem is often caused by a strange glitch where Windows will recognize a second drive but for some reason your bios doesn't see it.I have only one internal drive, but I do have an external that I only use for an occassional backup connected via USB.