PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a 9800GT (XFX,) what temperatures are safe?

aceedkins
09-15-08, 09:26 PM
Granted, I hear this card runs hot by nature. What temperature do you guys consider safe? Right now, im getting 74C while idling, and up to 85C while playing for instance, call of duty 4. I'm using a crappy HP case that my computer came with. I'm consider buying an after-market GPU cooler, but I have no idea of what to look for. Thanks!

EDIT: also, world of warcraft is only running at around 30FPS, which is around the same it ran before with my 7600GT. Is this normal, or was i right in expecting a much higher frame rate?

rage10
09-15-08, 10:34 PM
the temps look normal, and is wow locked at 30 fps?

Bman212121
09-15-08, 10:37 PM
Granted, I hear this card runs hot by nature. What temperature do you guys consider safe? Right now, im getting 74C while idling, and up to 85C while playing for instance, call of duty 4. I'm using a crappy HP case that my computer came with. I'm consider buying an after-market GPU cooler, but I have no idea of what to look for. Thanks!

EDIT: also, world of warcraft is only running at around 30FPS, which is around the same it ran before with my 7600GT. Is this normal, or was i right in expecting a much higher frame rate?

Those temps are probably about right. You can install Ntune and manually adjust the fan if needed. Chances are the fan isn't kicking up yet, and if it does get hotter it should spin up.

WoW is hardcore CPU limited, so it is very possible that you won't see much of a difference in FPS. The nice thing is that you can turn up the settings, at it should still run smooth except for when your in an area with a lot of stuff going on. The GPU won't be holding anything back, it always going to be the CPU.

aceedkins
09-16-08, 05:53 AM
All right, thanks. So I you guys don't think I really have much of a need to buy an after-market GPU cooling system?

Bman212121
09-16-08, 08:28 AM
Nope what is on it should work fine.

aceedkins
09-16-08, 10:04 AM
Nope what is on it should work fine.

Okay, great. Thanks alot for the feedback guys. Now I can spend the money I would have spent on a heat sink on a new gaming mouse/keyboard....