PDA

View Full Version : You figure XP would help???

Slagathor
09-17-08, 03:52 PM
My kids have a DFI SLi board, Opteron 165, and a 8800 GTS, I recently upgraded to a 4870 (been wanting to try red for a while) from a 8800 GTS, so I hooked up some SLi action for him.

Well, apart from not being able to play any of his games, it went pretty good.....heh
COD4 wouldnt even load, Quake 3 would load a little bit, then driver crash, Oblivion same story, load a bit then driver crash.

I tried several different sets of drivers all with the same issue, one card works a treat, but SLi is a night mare.....

They are running a 550 watt ANTEC PSU, I bought a PCP&C 610 watt from Newegg thats bad and have to RMA it. But I am either thinking it's a lack of power or just nVidia cant make a decent driver to save there lives.....

Of which, I have to think it's a bit of both, more so drivers, neither company has "awesome" driver support, but man alive, how long has nVidia been touting SLi???????

So what do you guys think????
Should I wait till I RMA the PSU to try again, or driver issue that wont get fixed any time soon......

bacon12
09-17-08, 04:29 PM
I don't understand what two cards are you sli'ing? Two 4870s?

Slagathor
09-17-08, 04:39 PM
2 8800 GTS's.....

bacon12
09-17-08, 04:52 PM
You should be ok on power. Which driver you using? You could try the beta ones, but yea sli is a pain in the arse that isn't worth it to me. I haven't had a dual card set up in years now.

I will always buy the single fastest card I can afford. There are plenty of guys here that do run sli thou, so maybe they can help you. Could be an issue with the sw, cards, or mobo..

john19055
09-19-08, 06:47 AM
It sounds like to me it could be your power supply .If one card works fine ,but when you try to run two in SLI and it crashes or game frezzes or reboots.If it is a older ANTEC 550 it may not have enough amps on the 12v rail to run two 8800GTS right.Two 8800GTS running in SLI uses around 431watts that with a Q6600 at3gigs 780i MB and Seagate 200GB SATA hard drive and 4gigs of memory and a DVD burner.One 8800GTS say it nedds a 26amps for the entire system.