PDA

View Full Version : Official nForce 2 Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Matthyahuw
07-28-02, 06:52 PM
Looks good to me, how about you?

netviper13
07-28-02, 07:11 PM
I'm definitely looking to buy one, that Epox board looks incredible. Of course, that depends on funds, and hopefully by the time they are for sale we will know the launch time of the Hammer chips.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 07:28 PM
I won't be buying anymore AMD processors anymore, I am back to Intel. Instead of the Nforce 2, I will be buying this mainboard which is better:

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/P4PB400_spec.jsp?motherboardId=41

If you want my reasons they are here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20&pagenumber=3

Adios AMD. HAHA! Hola Intel.:D

netviper13
07-28-02, 07:39 PM
That VIA chipset is not a good one to buy, as the latest P4 chipset from SiS is said to outperform it by up to 50% for a much lower price.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 07:55 PM
awesome, thanks for the advice! is that new SIS chipset ready for release? or is it an SIS mainboard with the P4PB 400 chipset?:confused:

PCarr78
07-28-02, 07:58 PM
Wait for hammer!

netviper13
07-28-02, 08:15 PM
SiS is in the chipset busines, unless you count their reference boards that is. Not sure exactly when it should be shipping.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 08:27 PM
eh, no AMD for me, I am an Intel man, lol. But thanks for the advice, come mid september I will have one hella fast computer!

netviper13
07-28-02, 08:30 PM
Oops, lol, didn't mean KT400....I meant Intel's, sorry.

SavagePaladin
07-28-02, 09:42 PM
I couldn't care less about current processors realistically. I'm a Hammer man.
I sure hope the OS won't cost my internal organs...or I'd have to switch to linux for it (well, an extra HD or something perhaps)

pelly
07-28-02, 09:59 PM
I will have to buy one....they are too cool to resist....

Especially that mini-Shuttle nForce2 system.....I think that is an incredible system...Imagine going to a Lan-party with your monitor and system in ONE hand!!! ( lcd monitor )

Tons of new toys to play with and top-notch performance....who wouldn't want one?

:D

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by pelly
I will have to buy one....they are too cool to resist....

Especially that mini-Shuttle nForce2 system.....I think that is an incredible system...Imagine going to a Lan-party with your monitor and system in ONE hand!!! ( lcd monitor )

Tons of new toys to play with and top-notch performance....who wouldn't want one?

:D

You can do the same with a laptop. Only you also have a keyboard in one hand also, and speakers and touch pad and maybe a mouse and a mic and a camerca and... you see? same thing, only in a package waiting to ruin a component inside.

Feanor
07-28-02, 10:33 PM
I got an nForce 420-D back in February with an Athlon XP 1900+ Not really looking for a new setup until the Hammers come out though.

Though I went with the nForce, there is one thing that could make me pass on an nForce2 if it comes to pass. No way in hell do I want Palladium or SSSCA mandated hardware. If nVidia includes that dratted chip (and this goes for any manufacturer) and another does not....I hate all this DRM hardware nonsence they are proposing. I was thinking an nForce2 or latter (which supports Hammer) back before rumor held nVidia might go along with this Palladium nonsence...

When this gets included in the CPUs Gawd help us all though... A motherboard one might be able to buy cross seas (if Hollings and Co get laws mandating this for all products sold in the US) but what alternatives are there to both Intel and AMD that will run our x86 software? Yuck, plz don't even mention Cyrix :p :eek: :p

I do hope newer nForce drivers come out soon though. My nForce1 chipset could use some driver updates.

volt
07-29-02, 02:39 AM
Will wait for Hammer and than decide. Even the so called DDR 400 Standard doesn't make me go change the board at all.

StealthHawk
07-29-02, 02:41 AM
Feanor,

it's VIA now :p

SavagePaladin
07-29-02, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Feanor
I got an nForce 420-D back in February with an Athlon XP 1900+ Not really looking for a new setup until the Hammers come out though.

Though I went with the nForce, there is one thing that could make me pass on an nForce2 if it comes to pass. No way in hell do I want Palladium or SSSCA mandated hardware. If nVidia includes that dratted chip (and this goes for any manufacturer) and another does not....I hate all this DRM hardware nonsence they are proposing. I was thinking an nForce2 or latter (which supports Hammer) back before rumor held nVidia might go along with this Palladium nonsence...

When this gets included in the CPUs Gawd help us all though... A motherboard one might be able to buy cross seas (if Hollings and Co get laws mandating this for all products sold in the US) but what alternatives are there to both Intel and AMD that will run our x86 software? Yuck, plz don't even mention Cyrix :p :eek: :p

I do hope newer nForce drivers come out soon though. My nForce1 chipset could use some driver updates.
I read that AMD was disgusted that anyone was connecting Palladium with them. I doubt any of them will have it. Though I don't know.

Feanor
07-29-02, 04:09 AM
Look at the proposal for Palladium though...it isn't just in the software this would manifest. OK, if PR people want to get picky then...then I'll put it this way. I have NO interest in buying any hardware which contains any TCPA "features". Similarly I would have been against buying hard drives containing CPRM and for similar reasons... And as to Hollywood's pet Senator Hollings, he can go shove it with his attempts to mussle the SSSCA renamed through Congress...

--------------
Yeah Via did buy Cyrix...and they didn't make the CPUs any better. Then again they also bought S3, and S3 graphics cards have still remained a joke, even since 3dfx came out with the Voodoo Graphics that is. Via chipsets I've used, but as to their branding of Cyrix CPUs and S3 graphics cards :p

Cotita
07-29-02, 04:34 AM
The thing I like the most about the nforce2 is that it should be very overclocking friendly.

Rumor says that you should be able to run it with a 200mhz fsb and 400mhz memory with the pci/agp still running at 33/66 mhz. That would be quite a jump from the nforce 1 overclocking abilities.

Nemesis
07-30-02, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Wait for hammer!

Seconded...

koslov
07-30-02, 07:03 PM
I have plans for getting at least 1 nForce2. I can't really push my current WC setup right now because of my poor overclocking K7N, so hopefully nForce2 will alleviate this. I have no doubts Hammer will rock, but I think I want to use my Athlon system that I've poured so much money into before I transition to Hammer. And you never know, there might be a few bugs or high prices when Hammer first comes out.

If I can scrape together the cash, I really want to put a mATX nForce2 into my LAN box, but it might not happen. I thought I would have a CPU ready for it, but I tested it and it's dead.

netviper13
07-30-02, 07:23 PM
I think it's wise to wait to buy a hammer. I mean theoretically they sound like the Uber CPU, but there could be some issues that pop up.

PCarr78
07-30-02, 07:44 PM
When hammer comes out, I'm gonna blow $CDN 5000 on a new rig.

Understand this. I am a lazy young man, i don't work.

I'm gonna get a job and work gull time on weekends to amass the funds.

Such is my excitement about Hammer.

Although the name is pretty lame. Except for thinderbird, intel has always had cooler names/codenames.

Northwood. Makes me think of an andventurer in a forest.

Thouroughbred. makes me think of beast love. ewww.

zoolap
07-31-02, 04:20 AM
umm... isn't it worth waiting until hammer is out before we start going on about how awesome it is? :confused:

StealthHawk
07-31-02, 05:10 AM
no, based on priliminary benchmarks it was performing quite well. of course, it may be prudent to take those benchies with a grain of salt. however, based on statements made by AMD about how Hammer would be faster than Athlon XP clock for clock, and based on it's bandwidth, we have reason to have high hopes :)

Feanor
07-31-02, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
I think it's wise to wait to buy a hammer. I mean theoretically they sound like the Uber CPU, but there could be some issues that pop up.

With any new product (that is more then a minor refresh) there can be some issues. Same thing happened when I got the nForce board I have now. On early BIOS and with nVidia's first drivers there were some issues with

- crashes
- rear speaker audio not working with my 4.1 speaker system
- getting winXP to load and remain OK (I had to change one of the BIOS options from default to get an XP load run properly...which I no longer have to do)
- compatibility issues plugging some multimedia cards into the mobo and inability to load drivers

After several BIOS revs much of that is better, but

- The lattest BIOS rev for the A7N266-E automatically mis-detects my CPU and memory capability, insisting that an Athlon XP 1900+ with Corsair XMS-2400 (300 MHz DDR) should be run at a 100 MHz fsb

That would put the CPU at 1.2 GHz instead of 1.6 I can manually over-ride that, but if a crash occurs, it thinks it's from "overclocking" when XMS-2400 DDR and an Athlon XP 1900+ is not supposed to be run at 100 MHz fsb. 1001d BIOS didn't mis-detect this, 1003 does.

- I still get an occasional crash, or worse black screen, where my video is suddently gone. (In the AGP slot there's a GF3 Ti500 and I have the 30.30 drivers now, but this occured on earlier driver versions occassionally too)

I was playing Diablo II the other night, when my screen suddenly went black. Hit the reset button and nothing it wouldn't reboot. Hit the power button (what they call one) on the front, and the mobo never got the signal (part of the ATX spec) telling it to shut off. I had to yank the plug out the back, put it back in, then power up again. Came back to find my 91 zon had died when my screen was black (lovely, she doesn't really die...unless something cheap like that happens and I can see nothing and am unable to move the char) Of all the timing, playing a hybrid zon with titans revenge/lightning fury. Get the cows herded for a quick kill, start using fury to take them down fast when black screen...