PDA

View Full Version : comp freezes randomly

Bittu
09-18-08, 02:07 AM
Hi all,
I am facing a peculiar problem for the last 2 months with my PC.My computer just freezes when i watch movies or play videos.It wont accept any input from the keyboard or mouse.The only way out is pressing the restart button.

I use Windows Xp pro....SP2.

For more info let me tell you that this problem is occurring since i bought a new motherboard.

Details are as follows:1)Biostar motherboard for intel processor
having
NVidia GEforce 7050/NVidia n-force 610i (onboard)

2)Processor--P4,2.66GHz
3)DDR2 RAM--1 GB

The drivers are all latest and updated.
There are also no unknown devices.

The machine mostly freezes when i watch videos of any kind....videos that run smoothly on other peoples machines.Sometimes it freezes when i am browsing and it also freezes when it's idle(the last 1 has happened only twice).
But otherwise there's no other problem.
Regarding viruses and malware there are none in my comp i guess.I use norton internet security(2004) and AVG antispyware version 7.5.This problem used to occur even before these two were installed.

Can this problem occur due to VGA failure?.....if so will this be mentioned in the error logs?...cause the error logs show no error.

iflop
09-18-08, 02:50 AM
If it's only happening when playing videos then it could just be a codec problem. I use fddshow
to handle all my videos.

EciDemon
09-18-08, 04:49 AM
I also suspect its a codec problem. I had a codec problem once that made the explorer lockup when i highlighted .avi files.

Fixed by uninstalling the codec pack i was using and replacing it with another

Bittu
09-20-08, 09:37 AM
It's not any kind of codec problem.My PC runs just fine if i dont play any movies....will run for hours without freezing.When i play movies....sometimes it doesn't freeze(mostly with DVDRip and avi's it doesn't freeze).....however, while playing certain other movies(mostly like mkv or HD Rip files or sometimes even in PDVD's) it gets busted.However,sometimes it even gets frozen with DVDRips and avi's.However,by default, mkv files always get stuck.And once such a thing happens....the keyboard and mouse stops working.The sound boxes start making sound like a drone.
However,many of my friends having onboard GeForce 6 series graphics cards can peacefully play mkv and HD Rip files.And yeah,since i don't play any games,i can't tell you whether they will run on my comp or not....but you can best assume that they won't probably.And yes....it's not a codec problem either....no virus,trojans or spywares....completely clean.If anybody has faced such a problem help me out plzzzzzzzzz.

XDanger
09-20-08, 10:00 AM
It's not any kind of codec problem.

You know this how?

Just wondering.

Quick420
09-20-08, 10:42 AM
Try a better power supply if you wont swap out your codecs....since you KNOW that isnt the problem.Try a game if it locks there too it will most likely be the PSU.

Bittu
09-21-08, 02:49 AM
Well...it's not that i haven't changed my codecs.....initially i didn't have Klite.....so installed it....problem persists.....again uninstalled it.....and went for new codec pack.....same problem again.....even checked with several players....VLC,KM player,BS player,Media classic.....infact almost all players.....but the comp still keeps freezing.I checked the cpu for loose connections.....there are none.....it's not a heat problem either.....my CPU temp. hardly goes beyond 37 degrees.I even changed the SATA slots and port and the RAM slot.....doesn't help either.Unfortunately i don't have a spare video card to check.Regarding virus and trojans....i have NIS 2005 (fully updated) and AVG antispyware 7.5.Have even checked with Truesword for trojans.....none.Even did a memtest.....RAM is healthy.So....now what else?

saturnotaku
09-21-08, 09:02 AM
I do believe the power supply was already called to your attention.

Bittu
09-21-08, 10:43 AM
Yeah, guyz were telling about the PSU.....but i donno how to check that.Is there any possible way of checking that....i mean other than getting hold of some1 else's :) .Can ne1 tell me....what sort of problems can occur due 2 PSU failure.Can the problem in my comp be related to the onboard video chipset?.....If my GPU is failing....is there any way to find that out?

XDanger
09-21-08, 03:41 PM
Yeah, guyz were telling about the PSU.....but i donno how to check that.Is there any possible way of checking that....i mean other than getting hold of some1 else's :) .Can ne1 tell me....what sort of problems can occur due 2 PSU failure.Can the problem in my comp be related to the onboard video chipset?.....If my GPU is failing....is there any way to find that out?

Reinstall the OS ,If the problem still persists its hardware related ;)

Bittu
09-22-08, 12:23 AM
I have already formatted all my drives and reinstalled xp twice....but the problem still persists.So it is h/w related....thats for sure.

Bittu
09-25-08, 12:52 PM
I had posted the problem with my comp a couple of days back..."Comp freezing randomly".
Well,it's solved now.There are a couple of slots on the motherboard where you can connect the wire from your hard disk to the motherboard.something was wrong with the slot it was connected to.I just changed the slot and the problem is solved.
However,thanks all.:)

shoes
10-03-08, 02:53 PM
I had posted the problem with my comp a couple of days back..."Comp freezing randomly".
Well,it's solved now.There are a couple of slots on the motherboard where you can connect the wire from your hard disk to the motherboard.something was wrong with the slot it was connected to.I just changed the slot and the problem is solved.
However,thanks all.:)

You mean the IDE or SATA port? For future reference. re-attaching IDE and SATA cables is the first thing to check - they can come loose easily depending on the quality of the plug and the integrity if the IDE-SATA ports (or a bad cable). Good job.

slivski
10-03-08, 08:59 PM
It's not any kind of codec problem.My PC runs just fine if i dont play any movies....will run for hours without freezing.When i play movies....sometimes it doesn't freeze(mostly with DVDRip and avi's it doesn't freeze).....however, while playing certain other movies(mostly like mkv or HD Rip files or sometimes even in PDVD's) it gets busted.However,sometimes it even gets frozen with DVDRips and avi's.However,by default, mkv files always get stuck.And once such a thing happens....the keyboard and mouse stops working.The sound boxes start making sound like a drone.
However,many of my friends having onboard GeForce 6 series graphics cards can peacefully play mkv and HD Rip files.And yeah,since i don't play any games,i can't tell you whether they will run on my comp or not....but you can best assume that they won't probably.And yes....it's not a codec problem either....no virus,trojans or spywares....completely clean.If anybody has faced such a problem help me out plzzzzzzzzz.

:lol:

download cccp codec if you already haven't