PDA

View Full Version : Does NV have a way to go "Off the rail"

Pages : [1] 2

muzz
05-17-03, 10:08 AM
Well what do you guys think?
There seems to be a general consensus that they can't see whats happening because they are no longer on the 3DMark03 Dev. team.

BTW I am NOT really a big fan of polls, but this is getting said ALOT.

TY

EDIT: After further thought a little explanation as to why you feel the way you do would be better than the old yes/no answer ( which I removed).....
I have never posted a poll B4, so I made a mistake saying Y/N would suffice... sorry folks I'll never do that again..:D

Clockwork
05-17-03, 10:18 AM
That is a stupid question...

Of course they do.

muzz
05-17-03, 10:23 AM
After the amount of referring to this I see, I figured I would get the general consensus from the masses there CW......
Unless you haven't been reading ( and I KNOW you have ;) ), this excuse is brought up all the time bro.

I didn't say that I didn't think so, and would think you could understand what I am TRYING to do here, without causing a ruckus.

Clockwork
05-17-03, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by muzz
After the amount of referring to this I see, I figured I would get the general consensus from the masses there CW......
Unless you haven't been reading ( and I KNOW you have ;) ), this excuse is brought up all the time bro.

I didn't say that I didn't think so, and would think you could understand what I am TRYING to do here, without causing a ruckus.

I wasn't telling YOU it was a stupid question, lol. I was telling our general audience......

:D ;)

muzz
05-17-03, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification there CW :D .

I personally think the question is worthy of being asked.

digitalwanderer
05-17-03, 10:56 AM
If I select "off the rail" does that mean they cheated or what? I'm really a bit confused about what you're asking. (Or else I'm moving in too many directions at once again. )

muzz
05-17-03, 11:04 AM
Dig I have seen the reference to NV NOT being part of the Dev. team for 3DMark03, therefore NOT having the ability to use the TOOL included with the DEV package.
Part of that package is the ability to go "off the rail" and look from other angles ( camera views, if I'm wrong here someone please let me know).
Only folks with the ability to see from different camera angles have the ability to see the background culling going on, hence less work being performed, as what the consumer version is all static views ( repeatable camera- nothing changes).
My question was do folks really believe that NV doesn't have access to a DEV. version, or have another way to look from different camera angles, so they know what is going on behind the scenes.

Hope I cleared it up, and you yourself will have to decide if that is cheating ( as that is a personal view of course ;) ), I just asked a question......

Wow a decent amount of views, but only a small amount other votes besides mine....... I guess folks think this isn't worth discussing.... hmmmm.

MrNasty
05-17-03, 11:10 AM
Woops I thought you meant "off the rail" as company and fail and go bust and ATi will rule supreme !

ATi = the rulingest :D

Nvidia prolly has a dev kit because they care more about 3dmark scores than anyone else. Thats pretty obvious considering they are the only ones who cheated to get better scores :)

:angel:

DivotMaker
05-17-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Nvidia prolly has a dev kit because they care more about 3dmark scores than anyone else. Thats pretty obvious considering they are the only ones who cheated to get better scores :)

LOL....uh, ok...

digitalwanderer
05-17-03, 11:21 AM
So you're asking if'n nVidia somehow "aquired" the tool that allows you to go off the rail even though they don't technically have access to it?

HELL YA!

Fudge, I'm thinking about getting a copy of it me ownself to see what all the hub-ub really is....and if I can do it I'm pretty damned sure they can. ;)

Hanners
05-17-03, 11:26 AM
Officially, I believe the answer would be no, as it sound like nVidia aren't a fully paid-up member of 3DMark.

On the other hand, I'd be very suprised if that hadn't gotten their hands on such a tool somehow, but it does seem that they hadn't - I imagine there's no way they would have made their cheating so obvious if they had thought there was a remote chance of being found out.

muzz
05-17-03, 11:26 AM
All I know is I have used at least 1 game that gives you the ability to change camera views, and I have NOT seen anything like I am being showed in the ET editorial.

TW golf lets you choose different angles, and it does it as a flyby type thing, where ya start at the teebox and fly backwards and forwards, all the while changing views by pushing certain hotkeys..... pretty cool actually.

Hellbinder
05-17-03, 12:10 PM
The bottom line is, it doesnt matter. If they were not cheating they would not need to know.

Secondly,

REmember their ultra detailed White paper on why 3dmark 03 Sux?? Yeah.. Now try to tell me again that they cant do it... :rolleyes:

vampireuk
05-17-03, 12:15 PM
I look forward to the time when NVIDIA make a new product that beats ATI and you have nothing to point at HB, in fact I'm going to start hoarding my popcorn for just such a time:D

digitalwanderer
05-17-03, 12:19 PM
For some reason this quote from DH seems apprapo to this thread, selectively edited for the more delicate of sensibilities. ;)

"F*CK YOU NVIDIA!!!! F*CK YOU AND THE RAIL YOU RODE IN ON!!!"

muzz
05-17-03, 12:20 PM
That must've been posted in the ATi section Dig......:D

Sazar
05-17-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
I look forward to the time when NVIDIA make a new product that beats ATI and you have nothing to point at HB, in fact I'm going to start hoarding my popcorn for just such a time:D

I don't think HB has a problem with nvidia hardware per se :)

I have a strong feeling he just loathes nvidia business practices and lack of ethics :)

and he doesn't mince words when it comes time to discuss these matters... :)

digitalwanderer
05-17-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by muzz
That must've been posted in the ATi section Dig......:D

Nah, it's in the flamezone....me favorite lounge in DriverHeaven still. :cool:

muzz
05-17-03, 01:27 PM
5 people said absolutely not up till now.... amazing thing is noone has said NO, just voted.

deejaya
05-17-03, 01:58 PM
Early in the poll, but strange that more people think they have the ability to go off the rail, and yet more people think they cheated on purpose.

They must have been smoking something if they could go off the rail, and think no-one would notice this "cheat". :eek:

StealthHawk
05-17-03, 09:01 PM
I'm sure they can get their hands on a developer version if they don't already have one.

The question is is it really important whether they can go off the rail or not? Normal users of the software don't, nor do most review sites, as they are not Futuremark partners.

ChrisW
05-17-03, 09:10 PM
Well, they had developer versions before they dropped out in December, and I'm sure this tool was part of those packages. Therefore, unless you believe they destroyed all these packages they paid a lot of money for, I would say they probably still have these tools and know exactly how they work.

StealthHawk
05-17-03, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ChrisW
Well, they had developer versions before they dropped out in December, and I'm sure this tool was part of those packages. Therefore, unless you believe they destroyed all these packages they paid a lot of money for, I would say they probably still have these tools and know exactly how they work.

I was under the impression that this feature was newly added a few weeks ago in the latest build.

SlyBoots
05-17-03, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I was under the impression that this feature was newly added a few weeks ago in the latest build.

ditto...:)

ChrisW
05-18-03, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
You might be right. I don't know what was included in their packages. I'm sure they have lots of information in their developer packages though.