PDA

View Full Version : 16-bit color dithering on newer NVIDIA cards (GF8800+)

SirkoZ
09-18-08, 04:34 PM
Since there were hardly and serious replies in the last topic on this forum dealing with 16-bit dithering issue on newer nVidia cards (GeForce 8800 and upwards) here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91135), I am posting about this problem again.

I would like to know if and when dithering will be implemented via shaders on these GPU's (GF8800 and up) since some of us still want to play a classic game like Unreal from time to time.

Thank you. (lee)

saturnotaku
09-18-08, 05:17 PM
Since there were hardly and serious replies in the last topic on this forum dealing with 16-bit dithering issue on newer nVidia cards (GeForce 8800 and upwards) here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91135), I am posting about this problem again.

I would like to know if and when dithering will be implemented via shaders on these GPU's (GF8800 and up) since some of us still want to play a classic game like Unreal from time to time.

Thank you. (lee)

I play Unreal Gold all the time on both my notebook and desktop. They work perfectly fine.

CaptNKILL
09-18-08, 08:38 PM
Can't you enable 32bit color in Unreal? You could in Deus Ex which uses a pretty similar version of the Unreal Engine. You'd have to edit the unreal.ini to enable it.

Also, you could try playing the game with a Glide Wrapper which uses Direct3D to mimick 3dfx Glide. You can force high resolutions and probably 32bit color. Plus you get all the benefits of modern D3D settings in the nvidia control panel (for example, transparency AA).

saturnotaku
09-19-08, 07:39 AM
Unreal Gold, at least, supports 32-bit color.

If you play Unreal specifically, you can go to www.oldunreal.com and download community patches that include an updated OpenGL renderer (no need for a Glide wrapper that way). That site also has a program that can convert the high-resolution compressed textures from the Unreal Tournament bonus disc for use in Unreal and Unreal Gold. It works quite well and makes the game look really good for being as old as it is.

CaptNKILL
09-19-08, 08:48 AM
Unreal Gold, at least, supports 32-bit color.

If you play Unreal specifically, you can go to www.oldunreal.com and download community patches that include an updated OpenGL renderer (no need for a Glide wrapper that way). That site also has a program that can convert the high-resolution compressed textures from the Unreal Tournament bonus disc for use in Unreal and Unreal Gold. It works quite well and makes the game look really good for being as old as it is.

Ah, that's what I was looking for. Someone made a new OpenGL driver for UT, Deus Ex and Rune but they didn't say it worked for Unreal. Glad there is a driver for Unreal out there.

This seems to be the thing to get if you're playing Unreal these days:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Patches/OMP/OMPPatches.htm

It includes the OpenGL driver.

SirkoZ
09-19-08, 02:03 PM
It's not so much the point for only Unreal to work, but also great many other classic games.
Videocard manufacturers should provide software replacements for missing features, especially on so powerful graphics cards as there exist today, that's my whole argument.

BTW - thx for the unrealtexture site links. ;)

CaptNKILL
09-19-08, 02:25 PM
You might want to try a program called DirectX Tweaker:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/DirectX-Tweaker-Public-Beta-a_program_14039.html

I'm not sure if it can do anything that'll help you but it has lots of options to change the way directx interfaces with your graphics card.

What are some of the other games you're talking about? There are probably unofficial updates for almost every major 3D accelerated game from the 90s.

SirkoZ
09-19-08, 05:08 PM
What are some of the other games you're talking about? There are probably unofficial updates for almost every major 3D accelerated game from the 90s.
Well - Midtown Madness 1 and 2 (since they got only 16-bit renderer, but use 24-bit targa textures these 2 really look great if dithered) then there's Swat 3 and Thief and others...

saturnotaku
09-19-08, 05:29 PM
If you find yourself playing old games like that on a regular basis, why not just build yourself a "retro" system? Something like a Pentium 3 with an AGP GeForce2.

SirkoZ
09-20-08, 06:01 PM
Looks like the
Videocard manufacturers should provide software replacements for missing features, especially on so powerful graphics cards as there exist today
part of my post is really easy to miss. :wonder:

saturnotaku
09-20-08, 08:59 PM
It looks to me like this part of CaptNKILL's post

You might want to try a program called DirectX Tweaker:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/DirectX-Tweaker-Public-Beta-a_program_14039.html

I'm not sure if it can do anything that'll help you but it has lots of options to change the way directx interfaces with your graphics card.

And also this part:

There are probably unofficial updates for almost every major 3D accelerated game from the 90s.

were suggestions you easily missed.

But this is largely irrelevant as you seem to be the only one on this board who really cares about this stuff.

SirkoZ
09-22-08, 07:01 PM
Indeed - odd that none other cares about old/classic games. I guess the new ones have too much shiny stuff to miss. :o