PDA

View Full Version : Performance improvements from release to release ?...

andrzejbania
09-20-08, 02:05 PM
Hi All,

First post and I have (what seems to be) a simple enough question - but I can't find the answer anywhere else on the web :(

Is there a 'simple and easy to understand' way to see what performance improvements are to be had when moving from 1 driver release to the next ?

e.g. if you had something like 175.x and were considering a change to change to 177.x - is there somewhere you can look to see what the likely benefits are ?

Most of the release notes I can find seem to dwell on 'issues fixes'...

...which is well enough - but I want to know if I will pick up exra FPS in a game ;)

Any info/links welcome !

:)

XDanger
09-20-08, 02:26 PM
Run a before and after benchmark yourself but new drivers ARE all about fixes and added support really.

Gameshadow used to show comparisons with a selection of games ,I haven't used that in a while though (doesn't work on my os)

andrzejbania
09-21-08, 02:09 AM
Genuinely - thanks for the reply...

...but 'not quite what I'm asking' :)

Are there any respected (news/review) sites that actually post the benefit of moving from one driver to the next ?

i.e. they do a small bank of testing - post the results etc - then everyone can see if it was worth moving/upgrading ?

Any info/links appreciated :)

XDanger
09-21-08, 10:26 AM
Genuinely - thanks for the reply...

...but 'not quite what I'm asking' :)

Are there any respected (news/review) sites that actually post the benefit of moving from one driver to the next ?

i.e. they do a small bank of testing - post the results etc - then everyone can see if it was worth moving/upgrading ?

Any info/links appreciated :)

If you use XP then install Gameshadow

The differences are usually 1fps if anything, and not with all games , some go up some go down ,some stay the same.

Also performance changes if any are usually graphics card specific so if you dont have the same card as the benchmark then the numbers are worthless.

The ONLY benchmark thats really worth anything is one you do YOURSELF on YOUR hardware.

MikeC
09-21-08, 07:59 PM
Is there a 'simple and easy to understand' way to see what performance improvements are to be had when moving from 1 driver release to the next ? Check out NVIDIA's driver release notes. They are usually provided with every driver release.