PDA

View Full Version : Matrix: my thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Chalnoth
05-17-03, 03:52 PM
First, I'd like to say that this game does feel like it lacks polish. Hopefully a patch will clear up most of the issues.

As for the level design, there have been a few times where I've had a hard time figuring out where I needed to go. In one particular level this meant I had to restart a good ten times before finally figuring out the right path.

But, I am thoroughly enjoying the game, regardless of the issues that I'm seeing. The martial arts moves are excellent, and I've had quite a lot of fun fighting some of the stronger opponents (Trinity, Seraphim, agents, Cujo and his minions...). The game certainly feels like The Matrix (haven't seen Reloaded yet...hopefully soon), and obviously has a number of portions that were specifically designed to make it feel like the original Matrix.

There is one thing that I really don't like about how the game was designed, however: the controls in sniper mode are just horrid. It feels like the controls were intentially made clunky in order to make the game more challenging (i.e. to keep the game in line with the console versions). This can be very annoying, and feels very artificial.

But, overall, I'm really, really enjoying the game. The story is excellent, and the acting actually seems good (it had better be!). I would recommend this game to anybody who likes the Matrix movies, but some who would rather have the PC version may wish to wait until another patch or two is released.

styles-T
05-17-03, 05:33 PM
just out of curiosity..how many cd's to install and how many gigs did it take up on your system??

thx..

Chalnoth
05-17-03, 07:09 PM
4 CD's (3 install, 1 play)
3.3GB installed (no installation options)

Oh, and one thing I didn't mention. It plays like a console game (3rd-person view, auto-aiming, only saves at level start).

vampireuk
05-17-03, 08:17 PM
Any way of turning the auto aiming off? I hate auto aiming:barf:

Chalnoth
05-17-03, 08:59 PM
No. It wouldn't work without autoaim. You can shoot at multiple enemies at once (if you are using pistols), and it's 3rd-person view.

Personally, I think games without autoaim only work well as FPS's on the PC (where you have a mouse and keyboard). Other game types require autoaim...and I don't think FPS would work for this game, either, given all the martial arts moves you can do.

The Baron
05-18-03, 12:51 AM
I agree with Chalnoth. I was playing Oni tonight, and the lack of autoaim is really annoying. It's just hard as hell to aim at somebody while trying to make sure that A. you're no going to get your ass kicked from behind, B. you can see the guy in front of your body, and C. once they get close, you can switch fast enough to do martial arts.

So yeah, autoaim would have been nice..

Chalnoth
05-18-03, 07:45 AM
Which reminds me...one thing that's great about Enter the Matrix:

When attacked by two people, you can grab one guy's gun, hit him with it, then shoot the next guy with that same gun :)

One thing that does seem rather odd, though, when you're engaged in a grappling move with one opponent, others seem to back off. This may be a result of the challenge level (I played on Normal), but it does make hand to hand combat more doable.

Sazar
05-18-03, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Which reminds me...one thing that's great about Enter the Matrix:

When attacked by two people, you can grab one guy's gun, hit him with it, then shoot the next guy with that same gun :)

One thing that does seem rather odd, though, when you're engaged in a grappling move with one opponent, others seem to back off. This may be a result of the challenge level (I played on Normal), but it does make hand to hand combat more doable.

was trn between buying this and vice city yesterday... ended up buying vice city after playing it on xbox (matrix that is)

might get it later..

I prefer aiming myself... case in point... max payne == 3rd person shooter w/o autoaim (well you turn it off) but then I have not played matrix...

keep us posted coz I wanna know how LONG it is as well :D

and watch the movie too :) neo needs da moolah :afro:

Chalnoth
05-18-03, 08:01 AM
How long is it? Well, I've now beaten it with both Niobe and Ghost (each character plays through the game a bit differently...some levels are the same, some are very different). I'd say it took me about ten hours to beat it the first time (with Ghost), eight hours the second time. Any playtime beyond that depends on just how much you enjoy fighting. There are a total of 60 relatively short levels per player, divided into 14 missions.

Oh, and now that I've watched the movie, I can say that the game's story works very well with the movie, and the end of the game is just after the end of the movie, with a few interesting hints. As far as this story goes, it is probably more interesting to play as Niobe than it is to play as Ghost.

Sazar
05-18-03, 08:22 AM
How long is it? Well, I've now beaten it with both Niobe and Ghost (each character plays through the game a bit differently...some levels are the same, some are very different). I'd say it took me about ten hours to beat it the first time (with Ghost), eight hours the second time. Any playtime beyond that depends on just how much you enjoy fighting. There are a total of 60 relatively short levels per player, divided into 14 missions.

Oh, and now that I've watched the movie, I can say that the game's story works very well with the movie, and the end of the game is just after the end of the movie, with a few interesting hints. As far as this story goes, it is probably more interesting to play as Niobe than it is to play as Ghost.

:(

was hoping it was longer... ah well... keep us posted with further gaming insights...

currently I am trying out insane stunts galore on my motorbikes in vice city... will get to the missions in a bit :D

am trying to beat my perfect double reverse flip insane stunt bonus from gta3... :D

MrNasty
05-18-03, 08:54 AM
I want to fart in bullettime.

sytaylor
05-18-03, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
:(

was hoping it was longer... ah well... keep us posted with further gaming insights...

played it on the ps2, and i have to say WOW!

It took me 4 hours per character on easy mode, playing though normal now... the replay value is something that cannot be understated. There really is nothing like the martial arts fighting against some of the better characters. I sat there goin "WOAH!" just like it were the movie. You also get some VERY cool cutscenes, one or two form the movie, complimented with good acting in between.

The driving sections suck ass, but i dont care, its well worth the price of a game because it has that "kickass" factor. Its like max payne without the restrictions. A liberating game

Only problem is, i find myself wanting to run up walls and kick passers by when out on the street :afro:

Ramshambo2001
05-18-03, 10:12 AM
I want to fart in bullettime.

wouldn't be suprised if the new conker game will let you do that :dance:

nVidi0t
05-18-03, 10:55 AM
Would it be better to get it on Xbox?

Sazar
05-18-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Would it be better to get it on Xbox?

better graphics I reckon.. I wathced it @ EB side by side on a ps2 and an xbox... and the only difference I saw was slightly better graphics on the xbox.. considering the age of the ps2 system I was a little surprised how good it looked on it :)

of course then I went and bought vice city so what do I know :D

St Lobus
05-18-03, 11:41 AM
I originally picked it up for the PC, but had lots of graphical problems. After trying to tweak it and uninstalling and reinstalling three different Det sets, I gave up and returned it for the Xbox version. So far, I like the Xbox version better except for the hacking part. That was much more fun with an actual keyboard, but oh well, it's still neat. I do like this game.

Pafet
05-18-03, 01:01 PM
question: BEFORE or AFTER watching the movie???

don't want no spoilers..

St Lobus
05-18-03, 01:25 PM
I'd recommend after. I'm not that far now, but seeing how closely it ties into the movie already, I'm sure there will be more spoilers further on.

Chalnoth
05-18-03, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Pafet
question: BEFORE or AFTER watching the movie???

don't want no spoilers..
I beat the game with Ghost before watching the movie. I didn't think there were really any spoilers, though that did make parts of the game quite hard to understand without watching the movie, such as the Merovingian's mansion (side note: I decided to look the word up...the Merovingian dynasty was the first ruling dynasty of the French people after the fall of the Roman Empire).

But there is a definite spoiler when playing Niobe near the end.

Pafet
05-18-03, 06:54 PM
Then I'll wait a little longer :D

thx

Sazar
05-18-03, 07:58 PM
I beat the game with Ghost before watching the movie. I didn't think there were really any spoilers, though that did make parts of the game quite hard to understand without watching the movie, such as the Merovingian's mansion (side note: I decided to look the word up...the Merovingian dynasty was the first ruling dynasty of the French people after the fall of the Roman Empire).

But there is a definite spoiler when playing Niobe near the end.

hows the extra footage in the game ?

supposedly 1 hr of additional footage...

did that enhance the reloaded experience for you chalnoth ?

:D

Chalnoth
05-18-03, 08:00 PM
The extra footage is quite good :)

The game definitely enhances the movie.

For example, in the game, you see many things that are only hinted at in the movie. One example is the last transmission of the Osiris. Niobe shows this to the other rebels early on in the movie. In the game, your first mission is to retrieve this transmission.

There are other examples as well. I think that through playing the game and watching the movie, I understand far more about what's going on than I would from only being exposed one or the other.

Sazar
05-18-03, 08:04 PM
The extra footage is quite good :)

The game definitely enhances the movie.

hmmm.. I may have to scrounge up the extra buckeroos after all for the game :)

who knows... I may even escape sans artifacts like I did with gta : vice city :D

only problem is the length of it for me :(

btw... have you played that star trek demo thinger from the front page ?

quite good and excelllent frame rate @ 1600x1200 :)

I like the little puzzle where u have to reallign the grid to bring power to some sections... I love things like that instead of the regular BANG BANG BANG stuff..

Red Dog
05-18-03, 08:20 PM
after playing etm for an hour im having a blast.

the combat is very cool and the graphix look great.

overall im deffinately glad I decided to buy it.

AngelGraves13
05-18-03, 09:05 PM
can I see some screenshots of this game? I have no idea what the hell it looks like on a PC.