PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-04-08, 08:11 AM
can somone tell me this

Linux is superior as a OS compared to WIndows(wich could be as good if not ...)

anyways linux does it support DX10 can i play Crysis cod 4 and such onany linux?

last time i checked it required some other programs to emulate windows

So when i emulate windows on linux
1 will i get all that linux is or will i get less performance

those are my questions i had linux suse something a while back super OS not much i could do as compared to windows nowdays i donīt know if i can install Linux again and doesnīt linux require mounting of apps before usage?

or was that unix/free bsd and such canīt remember

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-04-08, 08:17 AM
like i said if there was a way to keep linux as it is and still play todays games then i wouldnīt hesitate when i read to become a unix admin...wich ran out in the sand due to the project was cancelled thanks for that it was the employment office that is to blame for that.

we measured same OS and such and my back then P4 3Ghz beat AMD 64 as to something whan we tested the server we installed on a partition on my comp.

that was fun as hell and if i get the chanse i will re-try Unix for sure

building a os from scratch in a jiffy was fun

grey_1
10-04-08, 08:48 AM
can somone tell me this

Linux is superior as a OS compared to WIndows(wich could be as good if not ...)

anyways linux does it support DX10 can i play Crysis cod 4 and such onany linux?

last time i checked it required some other programs to emulate windows

So when i emulate windows on linux
1 will i get all that linux is or will i get less performance

those are my questions i had linux suse something a while back super OS not much i could do as compared to windows nowdays i donīt know if i can install Linux again and doesnīt linux require mounting of apps before usage?

or was that unix/free bsd and such canīt remember

Linux doesn't support any DX natively. Wine or Cedega can be used with success on some games, but it can also be a real headache to get some games to run. To me, it's not worth the trouble. I'd rather keep an XP or vista partition and run the games on their native platform.

On the other hand OGL games that are released for Linux have decent performance. I just don't see Linux as a gaming platform even though I've played a bit on it.

zoomy942
10-04-08, 09:58 AM
Wine 1.1.5 was released recently and lots of people use it for games. World of Warcraft works, Guild Wars works as do a multitude of other games.

Do you lose some performance? Yes - i won't argue that, but when you are getting 150 frames per second anyway, why does it matter if you drop to 110? or 90? as long as it's more than 30, you're eyes dont know any better anyway. Also, there are zillions of free games for linux - mostly right in the package manager.

As for DX11, no it doesnt support that natively but Wine is a powerful tool. You can run anything for the most part. I have personally used DVDShrink, Guild Wars, Office 2003 and 2007, Crystal Reports, Google Chrome browser, C&C games...and there are whole websites dedicated to gaming in Linux.

EDIT : I am working on getting Microsoft Great Plains to run in Wine - and save for 2 dll's that wont register, it runs fine. Amazing stuff.

Rakeesh
10-04-08, 11:07 AM
Wine 1.1.5 was released recently and lots of people use it for games. World of Warcraft works, Guild Wars works as do a multitude of other games.

With lots of bugs and glitches.

Do you lose some performance? Yes - i won't argue that, but when you are getting 150 frames per second anyway, why does it matter if you drop to 110? or 90? as long as it's more than 30, you're eyes dont know any better anyway.

Actually that's around 60fps for your central vision, and around 120fps with your peripheral vision. You can notice a difference depending upon how large your screen is and how far away you sit from it.

Also, there are zillions of free games for linux - mostly right in the package manager.

But honestly half of these are variations of tetris or otherwise clones of older games.

EDIT : I am working on getting Microsoft Great Plains to run in Wine - and save for 2 dll's that wont register, it runs fine. Amazing stuff.

That's the kicker right there. Trying to get these games working in wine often takes a weekend of sitting down and playing with configuration files, etc, for each game you want to play. This is even true of games that have a native linux port and don't need wine. I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out why when I tried to run one of the quake or unreal games, it bombs with "segmentation fault," and it takes me hours to figure out why that seg fault is happening.

Linux is a good OS for many things, but as a linux user myself, I can tell you gaming isn't one of them. Could it be eventually? Yes, given the proper motivation among developers. But right now? No, not even close.

zoomy942
10-04-08, 11:21 AM
fair points.

yes bugs and glitches but once you get them worked out you can be okay.

however - this ll being said - i will relent. I dont game nearly as much as i used to so i cant attest to haw hard it really is to setup. I havent played a FPS for years so I'm good with the simple stuff.

So - in agreement - gaming is possible in Linux but it is certainly rough around the edges

Dreamingawake
10-04-08, 12:20 PM
Yeah Vista is really good actually.

Just keep everything up to date, your system free of bloatware, and you're good !

It's really fast, sleek looking and pretty solid now.

I'm looking forward to Windows 7 for sure.

ICE2K
10-31-08, 06:34 PM
i think it's supposed to send the message that we wont have the XP to Vista compatibility problems we had at first.

this transition should be similar to the windows 2000 to windows XP transition.
hmmm mayb we'll c....

Redeemed
10-31-08, 07:15 PM
its fascinating that you have had so much trouble. I have used SUSE, Ubuntu, PCLINUX and Mandriva08 and none of them had troubles. the only problems were caused by me tinkering with settings becasue I was getting my touchscreen on my tablet to work.

Maybe give it another try with a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid?

lol-

Right now my Ubuntu rig (see my sig) has the "Update Manager" frozen. Sure, I can minimize it and use the system for other things. All I did was set it to download all 280 some odd updates after a fresh Ubuntu 8.04 install. Walked away and when I came back it was frozen.

Looks like this OS is going to require some "hand-holding" for something as simple as updates. Even my Vista rig (see sig) doesn't require that. :p

OS bashing aside- I love Ubuntu and seldom have any issues with it. Likewise, I love Windows and have even fewer issues with it. Then again, I do know significantly more about computers than your average joe and thus probably why my machines are so stable compared to others'.

ViN86
10-31-08, 08:03 PM
hmmm mayb we'll c....

most programs are Vista compatible now, and windows 7 is based on Vista, so everything will be good to go.