PDA

View Full Version : "Pirating" through Steam?

glObalist
09-24-08, 01:43 PM
So my brother gave me login details to his Steam account and now I can play games I haven't paid for. I also have my own Steam account with a couple of bought games.

Is this considered pirating?

CaptNKILL
09-24-08, 01:47 PM
I honestly don't know about this.

I installed Steam on my brother's computer once to show him a game I had on my account and it never gave me any problems. I never tried playing it on two computers, but I was quite surprised that it allowed me to have steam running on two different systems with the same account.

We were on the same network and internet connection though.

As for legality, I have no idea.

Lfctony
09-24-08, 02:08 PM
PIRATES!!!! IMPLEMENT DRM NOW!!!! BLOCK STEAM ACCOUNT IF INSTALLED ON ANOTHER COMPUTAHH!!11111 :headexplode:

|MaguS|
09-24-08, 02:17 PM
I do think its against valves TOS for share accounts so if they wanted to they could disable your account in violation of the TOS.

glObalist
09-24-08, 02:30 PM
So how exactly would they know it's not my brother installing his games on my computer through his steam account?

|MaguS|
09-24-08, 02:35 PM
They wont as long as neither of you log onto Steam under the same ID at the same time.

LurkerLito
09-24-08, 02:53 PM
I believe it is against the TOS and you risk having your account banned. What I want to know is if they ban your account do you lose access to the games you bought?

I know EA was threatening to ban people's Spore accounts if they started talking about the DRM problems on their forum and you would have to buy a new game to play again. They have since retracted that statement but still the very idea they even threatened to do that is disturbing.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41724/Spore-DRM-Talk-Will-Get-Your-Game-Banned
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41734/EA-Back-Pedals-On-Spore-DRM-Bans

nekrosoft13
09-24-08, 03:06 PM
wow that is just retarted. i will go make an negative post about it today

|MaguS|
09-24-08, 03:12 PM
I believe it is against the TOS and you risk having your account banned. What I want to know is if they ban your account do you lose access to the games you bought?

Yes, you lose everything. I had a friend who was banned for awhile back when Steam first launched due to a bug.

bob saget
09-24-08, 03:48 PM
you can actually even play as many single player games as you want on different networks all under the same name. I used to do this. With multi-player games it doesnt work.
For example, if you have HL2, epi1, and epi2, 3 different people on 3 different computers should be able to play all games at the same time. Granted, only one will be logged into Steam "friends" service. I know for sure this works with 2 games, haven't tried with 3.
EDIT: also accomplishments wont be saved in games that support them.

ViN86
09-24-08, 03:51 PM
So my brother gave me login details to his Steam account and now I can play games I haven't paid for. I also have my own Steam account with a couple of bought games.

Is this considered pirating?

no, i have my games installed on my desktop and my laptop.

while i have two copies of the game, i can only run one instance of steam at a time and i can only login to one steam account at a time.

so your situation is the same as if he let you play on his computer. once he logs in, you will be kicked out.

Misfire
09-24-08, 05:17 PM
Don't worry too much about account sharing, valve don't mind if its between ur family or friends, its only the issue of getting ur account stolen.

You can install and play the single player games form ur brothers account no problem, I do this too with my brother and when I used to have multiple accounts with different games.

However, in a multiplayer game It'll kick you out of the game if someone logs on your account.

A little story I have, few years ago I shared my account with my friend who wanted to play counter-strike, he decided one day to be an ass and change the password, then he forgot the password he changed it to, So i had to talk to valve support about it, and they told me that its my responsibility who i share my account with, but they decided to be nice and reset the password for me.

glObalist
09-24-08, 05:23 PM
Thanks a lot, nice to know this is nothing to worry about. Ahoy!

XDanger
09-24-08, 05:28 PM
So how many different computers can you install crysis on under steam?

ViN86
09-25-08, 08:01 AM
So how many different computers can you install crysis on under steam?

as many as you want to put Steam on. but you can only play one copy at a time. so it wont do you much good unless you have a laptop and travel.

nekrosoft13
09-25-08, 08:14 AM
as many as you want to put Steam on. but you can only play one copy at a time. so it wont do you much good unless you have a laptop and travel.

crysis yes, but warhead on steam also has the 5 activation limit

crainger
09-25-08, 10:47 AM
Thanks a lot, nice to know this is nothing to worry about. Ahoy!

Except i just reported you...

Reported.

Just kidding...

Or am I?

::bleh::

glObalist
09-25-08, 10:57 AM
Except i just reported you...

Reported.

Just kidding...

Or am I?

::bleh::

You're reported for reporting me.

CaptNKILL
09-25-08, 01:06 PM
Ok, I received several reports of users reporting other users who are reporting them for reporting each other.

What's going on here?

XDanger
09-25-08, 05:39 PM

Or if Im at a persons house and want to show them teh Crysis

DiscipleDOC
09-25-08, 05:43 PM
Ok, I received several reports of users reporting other users who are reporting them for reporting each other.

What's going on here?

You're being reported for not following up on your reports.