PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Vista Business OEM -> Ultimate retail

LovingSticky
09-24-08, 05:23 PM
I have Vista Business x64 OEM SP1 preinstalled on my HP notebook. I would like to upgrade this license to Ultimate x64 SP1 (have a retail package), but it does not work.

If I enter Ultimate x64 retail license key, it says "You cannot upgrade to this version of Windows", if I run setup.exe from Ultimate installation DVD, if offers me only clean/new install, but first (upgrade!) option is grayed-out, if I boot from DVD, the same problem... Only clean install possible.

I thought this would be simple task, but it is not :( I do not feel like reinstalling whole computer and about 100 programs and configuring them (again)..

Any hints how to do this?

saturnotaku
09-24-08, 06:50 PM
Is your Ultimate x64 the actual upgrade version or the full one? And are you sure that your copy of Vista Business is x64?

npras42
09-24-08, 06:51 PM
Are you sure you can upgrade an OEM copy?

bacon12
09-24-08, 07:09 PM
I think you can upgrade an OEM copy, but the upgrade process has had issues since release. Can't you do a backup, reformat and install?

npras42
09-24-08, 07:26 PM
I've never used MS support hotline for anything Windows-related (only ever called them due to a 360 RROD) but maybe you could give that a try?

EDIT: Windows Upgrade Advisor? I dunno if its for Vista to Vista upgrades but it might work or at least tell you what the problem is...

LovingSticky
09-25-08, 03:19 AM
Is your Ultimate x64 the actual upgrade version or the full one? And are you sure that your copy of Vista Business is x64?

I am sure.

What I have is:

- Vista Business x64 SP1 OEM (installed)
- Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 RETAIL (trying to install)

New install seems to be the only option offered.

crainger
09-25-08, 04:24 AM
I don't think you can just enter a retail key into an OEM install. You can upgrade it, but you'll need a special key obtained through Microsoft either purchased over the phone or online.

Only option for you is to do a clean install of your new Vista Ultimate.

LovingSticky
09-25-08, 04:40 AM
Well, there is no -technical- difference between OEM and RETAIL releases, only -licensing- one.

Obviously, Microsoft does not expect people taking Business -> Ultimate upgrade path, so they do not support it.

I emailed Microsoft and got this confirmed :( Will have to reinstall from scratch, just to get BitLocker running (major reason for upgrade).

nekrosoft13
09-25-08, 08:43 AM
it can be done, but not the way you are trying.

you can use full retail or upgrade retail to go business to ultimate.

you need a special anytime upgrade

read up about it here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/anytime-upgrade-overview.aspx

LovingSticky
09-25-08, 09:17 AM
Yes, I know about "Anytime Upgrade" DVD. But usual retail Ultimate x64 DVD does not work :(