PDA

View Full Version : Multiwinia - great game

ynnek
09-25-08, 12:56 AM
I'm surprised nobody's talking about this game. Its a ton of fun. You can get it over Steam.

At first, it seems quite simple, but when you start playing, especially against other players, it actually quite devious in gameplay. I highly recommend it.

Greg
09-25-08, 05:45 AM
I wasn't too excited about the original Darwinia, but after watching a game of Multiwinia I must admit it was quite exciting. I plan to try the demo myself soon.

six_storm
09-25-08, 08:04 AM
Demo - http://www.introversion.co.uk/multiwinia/download-full/setup.exe

six_storm
09-25-08, 12:56 PM
Wow, the demo is a blast! I played my entire lunch break lol.

six_storm
09-27-08, 12:35 PM
I've been really impressed by this game, it's so much fun. Maybe I'll find a $20 bill here soon and will be able to grab the full version lol.

I'm sure MP is a blast.

ynnek
09-27-08, 02:48 PM
Its hilarious multiplayer, especially with 3 or 4 players, things can quickly change.

Also, when you are eliminated, you get "retributions". Even though you aren't part of the game, you can are gifted crate attacks, such as eggs (spawn monsters and virusi), meteor showers, forests, napalm attacks, etc on whoever you wish to drop them on :) It could make the dominating player's life very very difficult if two of the eliminated players decide to pick on him/her. This game mechanic is brilliant because it also encourages eliminated people to stay on, and can potentially shift the balance of the game.

Its still a relatively small community, but if you wait a min or two, you can always find a multiplayer game. Peak times are players in the UK zone, and then there are always a few games to choose from. Remember, if you HOST a game and are behind a firewall/NAT/router, make sure ports 4000-4001 are open. If you are simply joining games, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

When you get the game, I recommend perhaps playing a quick game of each gametype to get the general idea, then as soon as possible jumping into multiplayer. THere's a wide variety of skill online, and you learn things a lot faster playing against real people. You might get pwned at first, but if you pay attention, you'll quickly pick it up.

They just released a small patch, but I'm excited for the next patch they are working on now to include stuff like lobby chat (finally!) and password protected servers.

My favorite crate is the nuke crate. It pays homage to Defcon, another interesting game introversion made. The little submarine graphics appear on the edges of the map, with that launch sound, and the nukes slowly fire out, just like in Defcon. Takes a while but it completely obliterates anything there.

Another cool thing is to plant various trees all around, and in an intense battle, they may catch fire and light the whole place on fire, burning all the little guys..

And don't even get me started on "Evilwininians" and "Futurewininas".. I've played a game where the Evilwninia's appeared and almost took the whole game over from all of us!

six_storm
09-27-08, 11:54 PM
I cracked and bought the full version on Steam. After playing a few games, I'm addicted. Anyone else around here play? We need to get a 4 person game going! :D

stncttr908
09-28-08, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the demo link! I wasn't sure there was one for this.

ynnek
09-28-08, 02:03 PM
Well, I'm waiting for Introversion to bring out the patch for lobby chat first, before trying to organize anything.

six_storm
09-28-08, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm waiting for Introversion to bring out the patch for lobby chat first, before trying to organize anything.

True that, it's kinda hard to get organization going right now. Actually, it's hard to join an open game! I usually have to host the game if I wanna play online. Let me know if you guys wanna play some time.

six_storm
09-29-08, 11:18 AM
Is the Steam patch coming out today or tomorrow?