PDA

View Full Version : About to update Vista to SP1. Is there anything i should do before hand?

nippyjun
09-25-08, 03:16 PM
My vista ultimate rig is about 1.5 years old. Earlier this year microsoft released 2 or 3 updated that were prerequisites for installing the SP1 update. One of the prerequisites would not install. I tried many different remedies, none of which worked. Last week after installing some other vista updates the prerequisite finally installed.

Now it's showing me that SP1 is available for installing whereas is wasn't before.

So i'm a little hesitant to do the SP1 update fearing that it could "mess something up".

I'll backup all my data, but is there anything else i should do before doing the update?

I run norton 360 and it seemed that there was a problem earlier this year doing the SP1 update with 360 installed but it seems they fixed this a while ago.

Also, will i need to reactivate vista after the sp1 update?

Thanks.

grey_1
09-25-08, 03:44 PM
My vista ultimate rig is about 1.5 years old. Earlier this year microsoft released 2 or 3 updated that were prerequisites for installing the SP1 update. One of the prerequisites would not install. I tried many different remedies, none of which worked. Last week after installing some other vista updates the prerequisite finally installed.

Now it's showing me that SP1 is available for installing whereas is wasn't before.

So i'm a little hesitant to do the SP1 update fearing that it could "mess something up".

I'll backup all my data, but is there anything else i should do before doing the update?

I run norton 360 and it seemed that there was a problem earlier this year doing the SP1 update with 360 installed but it seems they fixed this a while ago.

Also, will i need to reactivate vista after the sp1 update?

Thanks.

I had to download the SP and install it for some reason the first time. It wouldn't work through update. Second time it worked fine though and everything has since - no issues.

I would just back everything up as I would for any big update prior to installing it.

nekrosoft13
09-25-08, 03:55 PM
activation is not required after re-install. but to be on safe side. uninstall norton, and disable any other av, spyware programs

Badboy_12345
09-26-08, 04:05 AM
uninstall norton (purge it from the computer, it doesnt uninstall when you tell it to uninstall, sometime it needs a fresh reinstall of the entire OS) and install a good anti-virus app. Suddenly everything works as it should..

Its magic :p

Ive fixed countless computers that norton ****ed up. I just roll my eyes at people that are using it.
If I could rank programs that have destroyed users OS norton would be nr 1 on the list