PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man 9 feedback!

Ninjaman09
09-26-08, 09:32 AM
Man, this game is great. Now it is weird not being able to slide or charge shots, but frankly I preferred the game without those abilities anyway. The gameplay in Mega Man 9 is nearly identical to 2, but the level design and boss encounters are extremely polished and obviously a great deal of effort was put into making the game both challenging and replayable. The game is short with 12 total stages, but each stage will try your patience with some very difficult platforming traps as well as miniboss encounters. The interesting thing about the game though is that while repetition will ultimately lead to success, it is possible to complete a stage on your first try using intuition and reflexes. There are a few traps that result in instant death your first time in, but they are few and far between and frankly they make you laugh.

There are a great deal of spike and pitfall traps in this game. To compensate, they added in the "bolts" system from Mega Man 7 and allow you to purchase items that give you "freebies" when encountering these. You can also buy a "half damage for the stage" item, as well as E-tanks, an M-tank, and 1-ups.

The game feels very polished. Stage design is tight and flows very well. The music isn't the best in the series (2 will always hold that honor) but it is very good and makes the stages feel exciting. The new enemies are well designed and none have completely random abilities that you cannot avoid. This is a good thing because the game has quite a few challenge achievements built in, and some of them are extremely difficult ("Beat the game without getting hit" :wtf:). Boss fights are very fun and every boss can be defeated with the regular Mega Buster once you figure out the pattern. Of course every boss has a weakness as well. There are built-in leaderboards for the time attack challenges and overall a lot of extra meat for big fans of the series.

As far as I can tell, the stages do not have secret areas or hidden "collect such and such items to get X super item" such as the Beat letters in the later NES games. Frankly I think that is a good move as it allows players to focus more on the very challenging stage traps and boss fights. There are several out-of-the-way bolts to collect which prove very useful (I've been chugging E-tanks like a junkie).

The original Mega Man series is one of my favorite series of all time. I still play the games regularly, as in on a weekly basis, and never tire of them. Needless to say I was ecstatic when this game was announced. The game is not a progression in gameplay, however. Mega Man has lost essentially all of his special abilities this time through. He retains Rush Coil and Rush Jet (Coil functions as it did in MM3 while the Jet works like it did in MM5) but no more charging or sliding. I actually always found the charge and slide controls a bit awkward in the original games anyway and preferred MM2's simplicity. That's a good thing for me because MM9 plays exactly like MM2.

I'd strongly recommend this game to any fans of the series. If you aren't a fan of the old NES Mega Man games, you may be put off by the presentation, and most likely the difficulty will drive you crazy. For veteran Mega Man players this game presents a tough challenge but it likely won't take more than a continue or two to finish a stage your first time through. But the game's puzzles and traps could prove unforgiving to novices. However if you are up for a challenge and a very polished, well-designed (by ancient standards) action platformer, give Mega Man 9 a try. It's going to be eating away at my free time for a while. :)

|MaguS|
09-26-08, 09:38 AM
I bought it but I hate because I suck at early MM games... I can't even complete a single level. :o

NaitoSan
09-26-08, 04:24 PM
It's hard as hell. I had trouble with earlier Mega Man games too. I didn't buy it because I'm out of spending money (WipEout HD was last game I could afford until next month).

I have Mega Man Anniversary Collection on PS2, and it's great to own if you're huge fan of Mega Man series (it doesn't include any X series or beyond).

NarcissistZero
09-27-08, 03:07 AM
I got it on PS3... great game!

I was a huge fan of the original games (not so much the X series) and this is like candy from heaven. It is hard, but it's hard in that Mega Man way where if you keep replaying the stages you'll get through. I've only beaten Galaxy and Splash so far, but I know I can do the rest.

I hope the Wily stages allow saving between them though... I hate when you have to do things you completed over again. That's the biggest thing I DON'T miss about the NES and SNES era.

Ninjaman09
09-27-08, 12:41 PM
I hope the Wily stages allow saving between them though... I hate when you have to do things you completed over again. That's the biggest thing I DON'T miss about the NES and SNES era.

They don't, but once you learn how to do them you can zoom through them quickly. The save system in the game basically works exactly like the old password system.

NarcissistZero
09-27-08, 01:08 PM
Lame... oh well.

My Mega Man Anniversary save file on PS2 has all the robot masters beaten, but only like 2 of them are the whole game. I hate those Wily stages.

ralinn
09-27-08, 01:23 PM
lol - Willy stages.

</child>

Mr. Hunt
09-27-08, 04:15 PM
I wish Capcom would do like they did with Bionic Commando and redo the X series... Mega Man X owned... Mega Man (plain) was good, but playing the demo for 9 I forgot how basic it was lol... I NEED A DASH AND A CHARGE FOR MY BUSTER!

NarcissistZero
09-28-08, 08:33 PM
Man, this game is hard... When I beat Jewel Man tonight I felt a rush of accomplishment like that of a holy warrior smiting the damned.

crainger
09-29-08, 10:55 PM
man, this thing is tough. I can't even finish the first level. ::(:

I am being teh suck. ::(:

NaitoSan
09-30-08, 03:19 AM
I'm still having trouble beating the first level. I hate that I have to start all over whenever I die. Checkpoint would be nice...

crainger
09-30-08, 04:20 AM
Checkpoint is too new school. Must have old school so you put more quarters in. My PS3 rattles now.

NaitoSan
09-30-08, 05:24 AM
checkpoint wouldn't happen if you managed to get next few rooms especially after hard parts like beginning of robot eleplant throwing you teh ball.

i died by falling then i have to start all over again... :(

checkpoint would only enable if you turn legacy off from option.

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 02:38 PM
They do have checkpoints... one in the middle of the level, and one before the robot master.

If you can't even beat one level start at Splash Woman... her level is pretty easy, and she is the most vulnerable to the normal weapon.

Ninjaman09
09-30-08, 02:50 PM
Yes, there are checkpoints in each level, usually right after a miniboss or tough platform sections.

If you're having a lot of trouble with a particular stage, try starting on another. Concrete Man's stage is a tough one to start with, especially if you aren't familiar with the Mega Man games.

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 02:56 PM
I don't think any of them are realy "hard"... Mega Man is all about memerizing enemy paths and practicing how to avoid those patchs. It's not possible to beat the game without dying a lot, as you need to learn the patters before succeeding.

I have 6 of the 8 robot masters down... each stage took a dozen or so practice runs before I beat it.

Ninjaman09
09-30-08, 03:00 PM
I disagree. While you definitely have to memorize in Mega Man 9, there are still times when it's just plain difficult to proceed, whether it's timing your jumps perfectly or learning when to unload on an enemy and when to evade. There's certainly predictable patterns but it still takes some skill to execute the strategy right. :)

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 05:52 PM
I disagree. While you definitely have to memorize in Mega Man 9, there are still times when it's just plain difficult to proceed, whether it's timing your jumps perfectly or learning when to unload on an enemy and when to evade. There's certainly predictable patterns but it still takes some skill to execute the strategy right. :)

Eh... I suppose. I look at "knowing when to jump" or "knowing when to attack" as more memorizing patterns though, rather than skill. That's me though... I guess it takes skill to perform those actions reliably, which is probably what you're saying.

Still, once I learn a stage in Mega Man games I hardly ever die on it anymore.

NaitoSan
09-30-08, 06:40 PM
I play on trial so I have no choice but to play Concrete Man stage. :o I'm going to buy it when I have some money, probably in next few weeks.

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 07:20 PM
I play on trial so I have no choice but to play Concrete Man stage. :o I'm going to buy it when I have some money, probably in next few weeks.

The only hard part of Concrete Man's stage is the third elephant... just make sure you anticipate when the ball is coming and jump over it, then run away from the elephant to hold your ground, then jump the ball again. The only times you should fire is when jumping toward the elephant and when he's not sucking air in.

I bet Concrete Man is a bee-otch without Splash Woman's weapon though.

Ninjaman09
10-01-08, 01:17 PM
I bet Concrete Man is a bee-otch without Splash Woman's weapon though.

He can be, depends on how often he shoots the concrete at ya instead of charging. He was actually the first robot master I killed...then I went to Splash Woman thinking she'd be weak against his weapon. :p